C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1984 Steering Column Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 10:24 PM
Avisalem155
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1984 Steering Column Removal

Hi All,

I've been struggling with this for a few days now. I went to rebuild my tilt column a few weeks ago, and the pivot pin remover broke off inside the pivot pin. Tried everything to get it out, no luck. I figure I will try again when the column is out. In the meantime I ordered a used column from eBay and I am trying to swap it with the one I currently have in. I'm having trouble getting it off though. I've removed the 2 bolts holding the column up to the dash, the 2 bolts that connects the column to the firewall from inside the car, all the electrical connectors, the bolt connecting the drive shaft to the ?rag joint?, and the 2 small bolts holding the bearing in place (however it won't come loose). I'm thinking a few things, either somehow the gas pedal needs to be removed, or the carpet and rubber liner is getting stuck between the gas pedal and the plate that screws into the firewall, or the drive shaft is still very stuck. Either way I've been yanking on the column (I know, very bad) and it won't budge. Am I missing something? I can't figure out how I would even get a hammer anywhere to try and separate the drive shaft from the joint. I need help, please??

Thanks,
Avi
Old 05-18-2016, 10:29 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Make sure you take out the pinch bolt loose will not do it. Then soak it good with bp blaster and smack a wedge in the crack.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:32 PM
Avisalem155
Heel & Toe

Thanks, I actually fully removed the pinch bolt, believe it or not I don't have a wedge but will be picking one up. I've been trying every angle to get something in place to sort of pry it apart, but no luck. Also soaked it with WD-40.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:14 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

You are certainly not the first person to have this problem. All you can do is fight with it until you win...
Old 05-18-2016, 11:53 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I seem to remember a forum member having to take something out by or the gas pedal. You don't have a long chisel?
Old 05-19-2016, 07:15 AM
Avisalem155
Heel & Toe

Unfortunately I don't have a long chisel and I'm having trouble even finding room under the car to do anything with a hammer or anything else to give it a good tap.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:46 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by Avisalem155
Unfortunately I don't have a long chisel and I'm having trouble even finding room under the car to do anything with a hammer or anything else to give it a good tap.
Turn the steering wheel to find a spot.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:23 AM
Avisalem155
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Turn the steering wheel to find a spot.
My steering wheel is sitting on my drivers seat, that might be a little tough
Old 05-19-2016, 10:58 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

My steering wheel is sitting on my drivers seat, that might be a little tough
Then pick up the front end and shove the tire.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:45 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

One my 1990 I had to remove the accelerator pedal to allow the column to come out
Old 05-20-2016, 04:19 PM
Avisalem155
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
One my 1990 I had to remove the accelerator pedal to allow the column to come out
Ok so I got it out. I'm pretty certain that removing the nut (on the firewall, engine side) holding the gas pedal down was in fact necessary.
To get the drive shaft disconnected I wedged a screwdriver into the joint where I removed the pinch bolt from (as antfarmer2 recommended), soaked it with WD 40 and gave a few good whacks, then a few good tugs on the column, and she slid out. Going to finish up repairing the dash with new film, connectors, and photocell, and everything will hopefully return back to place with no issues.

Thanks
Old 05-20-2016, 04:31 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I knew you could good job.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:59 PM
OldPoop55
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like I have a challenge ahead of myself. I have a replacement steering column on the way to the house right now. I picked up an '84 'vette as an abandoned vehicle for $110 via the DMV. When the locksmith came out to make me a key, various plastics components in the steering column came out in pieces. Also, the center bolt in the steering column has been sheered off before he even started.

Oh well, I may be asking for help as well. Thanks for what I have read so far.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:21 PM
Avisalem155
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by OldPoop55
Sounds like I have a challenge ahead of myself. I have a replacement steering column on the way to the house right now. I picked up an '84 'vette as an abandoned vehicle for $110 via the DMV. When the locksmith came out to make me a key, various plastics components in the steering column came out in pieces. Also, the center bolt in the steering column has been sheered off before he even started.

Oh well, I may be asking for help as well. Thanks for what I have read so far.
Well there's a lot of great resources on this forum, and since I went through it I'd be glad to help. Just make sure you have all the right tools on hand, makes the job much easier. Good socket set with lots of different sizes in metric, and extensions to make your life easier getting nuts and bolts out under the dash, steering wheel puller, lock plate compressor, and pivot pin puller (you can make a homemade one, just google it). Most important in my opinion, take as many pictures as possible. I'll be glad to help if there's any other questions you have.

Avi
Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 PM
Avisalem155
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I knew you could good job.
Thanks, couldn't have done it without you all!

Avi
The following users liked this post:
antfarmer2 (05-22-2016)
Old 05-22-2016, 09:45 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I got a virgin first thanks.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:47 PM
Avisalem155
Heel & Toe

Ok so I got it out. I'm pretty certain that removing the nut (on the firewall, engine side) holding the gas pedal down was in fact necessary.
To get the drive shaft disconnected I wedged a screwdriver into the joint where I removed the pinch bolt from (as antfarmer2 recommended), soaked it with WD 40 and gave a few good whacks, then a few good tugs on the column, and she slid out. Going to finish up repairing the dash with new film, connectors, and photocell, and everything will hopefully return back to place with no issues.

Thanks
Hey all, I need some more help. So I switched out the columns, I've been switching out some parts as the column I received from ebay, was tight, but had other issues. The issue I'm getting hung up on now is that the key cylinder and key will not go to the lock position, the key is essentially stuck in the cylinder. So I dug into the column again, and I can't figure out what the issue is. I even removed the ignition switch to see if that was the problem and it isnt. I have the dimmer and ignition switch fully removed, and the key and cylinder still won't budge. I've been looking at the little plastic gear near the dimmer lever, looks like it's functioning fine, but I need to know if adjustments need to be madr.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 Steering Column Removal

Old 05-28-2016, 02:09 AM
Avisalem155
Heel & Toe

Hey all, I need some more help. So I switched out the columns, I've been switching out some parts as the column I received from ebay, was tight, but had other issues. The issue I'm getting hung up on now is that the key cylinder and key will not go to the lock position, the key is essentially stuck in the cylinder. So I dug into the column again, and I can't figure out what the issue is. I even removed the ignition switch to see if that was the problem and it isnt. I have the dimmer and ignition switch fully removed, and the key and cylinder still won't budge. I've been looking at the little plastic gear near the dimmer lever, looks like it's functioning fine, but I need to know if adjustments need to be madr.

Thanks
Another update! So it seems that the cable going to the column for the gear position (I believe?) Is probably bent, I manually depressed the button/spring in and the key turned to off and came out. Now, any recommendations? I don't mind disabling this feature....ideas how to?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2016, 10:41 PM
OldPoop55
Intermediate

I got my steering column off of ebay as well. It came complete with a key. I may attempt the swap this weekend and will reach out for help or mention my success as soon as I try and tackle this. Thanks..
Old 06-03-2016, 06:41 PM
OldPoop55
Intermediate

I too need help getting the steering column out. I removed the two bolts under the dash as well as the two bolts against the firewall. I also removed the two bolts on the accelerator to get it out of the way. The pinch bolt is removed as well and seems like the shaft is loose in the coupling. But, I can't pull the steering column through the firewall. It seems to be getting stuck on this little ring at the bottom of the steering column with the two small screws. Do I need to remove it? Picture is below of the replacement steering column so you can see what I am talking about.

Quick Reply: 1984 Steering Column Removal