C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 Corvette running horable

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 03:45 PM
ihvvet2
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 Corvette running horable

My car all of a sudden is very hard starting and back fires a couple of times and will start but will not idle. The check engine light comes on as soon as the ignition is turned on. I disconnected the battery because the computer will drain the battery if left for a few days. Reconnecting the battery does not erase the codes the light comes on. I tried to read the codes by shorting with a wire and I can not get code 12 to display. Checked the fuse for the ECM and it is ok. Does this mean that the ECM is bad? Is there anyway to check the ECM? Need some advice.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:08 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by ihvvet2
My car all of a sudden is very hard starting and back fires a couple of times and will start but will not idle. The check engine light comes on as soon as the ignition is turned on. I disconnected the battery because the computer will drain the battery if left for a few days. Reconnecting the battery does not erase the codes the light comes on. I tried to read the codes by shorting with a wire and I can not get code 12 to display. Checked the fuse for the ECM and it is ok. Does this mean that the ECM is bad? Is there anyway to check the ECM? Need some advice.
You need to be more precise. The check engine is supposed to come on when you turn the key so you know it is working. To read codes you turn car off put a paperclip into top right hand connectors(a/b) turn key to on position, your fan should run and it should flash code 12 then whatever coded you have then code 12 to tell you it is done. Try that, it should work.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:41 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

when is the last time you gave it a good tune up?
Old 06-11-2016, 06:10 PM
ihvvet2
3rd Gear

I just went and redid the AB short test for the 6th to 10th time to make sure I did it correctly. After shorting the AB pins I turned the key to the run position and the fan does not run and the check engine light stays on and does not flash 12. As I said in the first post the fuse for the ECM is good and also grounded pin B to the cig lighter to make sure I had a ground. Does this indicate I have a possible ECM problem. If gets a little cooler tomorrow I will try the finger tap test on the ECM.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:44 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I just went and redid the AB short test for the 6th to 10th time to make sure I did it correctly. After shorting the AB pins I turned the key to the run position and the fan does not run and the check engine light stays on and does not flash 12. As I said in the first post the fuse for the ECM is good and also grounded pin B to the cig lighter to make sure I had a ground. Does this indicate I have a possible ECM problem. If gets a little cooler tomorrow I will try the finger tap test on the ECM.
I don't know why you cant pull the codes, when you said you used a wire I don't see a wire going into the connector and making great contact as a paperclip does but if you redid it and no luck something wrong between the connector and computer. Good Luck
Old 06-12-2016, 07:58 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

let me break down your post and give you my 2-cents - FWIW

your problem:
My car all of a sudden is very hard starting and back fires a couple of times and will start but will not idle.
start with the basics. the first thing I would check is the fuel pressure. run a fuel pressure diagnostic test.

I have had similar problems in the past - once it turned out to be a timing chain issue. so far, hard to say - could be anything.

The check engine light comes on as soon as the ignition is turned on.
this is normal.

I disconnected the battery because the computer will drain the battery if left for a few days
are you sure it's the ECM draining the battery?

Reconnecting the battery does not erase the codes the light comes on. I tried to read the codes by shorting with a wire and I can not get code 12 to display.
can't get code 12, but you are getting some codes - ??? what codes are you getting? you say you're not getting code 12 (3X's). exactly how are you pulling codes? what pins did you short on the OBD port? are you 100% sure it's A&B? you should get, key on, code 12, pause, code 12, pause, code 12, pause, then fault codes. ??? why are you expecting the fan to come on? you lost me here...

Checked the fuse for the ECM and it is ok. Does this mean that the ECM is bad? Is there anyway to check the ECM?
the fuse check is good. can't say for sure if the ECM is bad, but if you are not initially getting code 12, that's not good. no way of checking the ECM that I know of - either bench or on-car. I would not go out and buy an ECM and start throwing parts at the problem

finally, do you have a FSM? if not, get one. you need a systematic approach to troubleshooting a start problem. anything else is second guessing. good luck....

Last edited by Joe C; 06-12-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 12:53 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

check to make sure your OBD one port is not upside down. Mine was upside down. And I thought I was jumping a and B when I wasn't because it was upside down. You can find a diagram on the Internet. And use the slot in the middle to orient you're up and down.

Originally Posted by Joe C
let me break down your post and give you my 2-cents - FWIW

your problem:

start with the basics. the first thing I would check is the fuel pressure. run a fuel pressure diagnostic test.

I have had similar problems in the past - once it turned out to be a timing chain issue. so far, hard to say - could be anything.

this is normal.

are you sure it's the ECM draining the battery?

can't get code 12, but you are getting some codes - ??? what codes are you getting? you say you're not getting code 12 (3X's). exactly how are you pulling codes? what pins did you short on the OBD port? are you 100% sure it's A&B? you should get, key on, code 12, pause, code 12, pause, code 12, pause, then fault codes. ??? why are you expecting the fan to come on? you lost me here...

the fuse check is good. can't say for sure if the ECM is bad, but if you are not initially getting code 12, that's not good. no way of checking the ECM that I know of - either bench or on-car. I would not go out and buy an ECM and start throwing parts at the problem

finally, do you have a FSM? if not, get one. you need a systematic approach to troubleshooting a start problem. anything else is second guessing. good luck....
Old 06-30-2016, 06:10 PM
ihvvet2
3rd Gear

I just came back from a test drive, all is normal and runs great. The problem was with the computer. I replaced the computer and prom with a used computer and prom I bought on ebay for $85.00. Thank you all for the advice you gave me.

Chip

Get notified of new replies

To 85 Corvette running horable

Quick Reply: 85 Corvette running horable