C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HELP Steering Colum Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 08:31 PM
RayTremblay
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP Steering Colum Stuff

Ok, so I need to fix, replace, or just put back together my multiswitch in my colum. My problem is not the switch, but there is nothing connected to the actuator rod that works the dimmer switch. I pulled the colum down, and found the rod, and the dimmer switch does work, but the rod is just laying there behind the multiswitch. The blinkers and wipers work, just can't dim or brighten the lights. So does anyone have any scematic? I have a service manual, but I can't figure out how to get the multiswitch out, or even if I just need to put it back correctly. Or shoudl I back up and punt? Really need some imput here. I am guessing to remove the multiswitch I will have to pull the steering wheel, but nothing was said in the manual about that, then again, I am not sure that I am reading that correctly. Trying to figure out if I am missing parts, or what...
Old 06-11-2016, 08:49 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I believe there is a sticky for this.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:01 PM
RayTremblay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I believe there is a sticky for this.
I did a search in the C4 threads, and looked at the stickys and couldn't find anything. Probably just missing it, but, still can't find it.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:15 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by RayTremblay
I did a search in the C4 threads, and looked at the stickys and couldn't find anything. Probably just missing it, but, still can't find it.
Try googling it seems to work better.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:49 PM
RayTremblay
Intermediate

Try googling it seems to work better.
Did that also. THe only thing I found was for a C5 which has a compleetly different steering column.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:50 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Did that also. THe only thing I found was for a C5 which has a compleetly different steering column.
There is a plastic piece called the dimmer switch actuator. It connects the dimmer switch rod to the dimmer switch. Here is a post from 2011 when I had the same issue:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-actuator.html

If this is your issue, you can get the piece back in without pulling the steering wheel, but it will take patience, a mirror and a bit of luck. Also, if you are able to get it back in, do not use the steering wheel as leverage to get in and out of your car.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:13 AM
RayTremblay
Intermediate

Thank you so much. I guess google and searches here work best if you are calling the part the right name...lol. THis is just what the DR ordered. I couldn't wrap my mind around how the rod met that "actuator" therefore couldn't wrap my mind around how to pull this off. Thanks again...
Old 06-12-2016, 08:31 AM
RayTremblay
Intermediate

And boom! just like that. All put back together. Thank you guys all so much. csthews if you are ever near Chiefland Florida, I will buy you a beer, or burger, or whatever you want. Once I wrapped my head around it, and used your tape idea, went right in easy peasy, not even greasy. Of course I am giving credit to some luck but first shot. Took longer to put the column back up with all the trim... So happy right now.
The following users liked this post:
antfarmer2 (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 08:47 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

And boom! just like that. All put back together. Thank you guys all so much. csthews if you are ever near Chiefland Florida, I will buy you a beer, or burger, or whatever you want. Once I wrapped my head around it, and used your tape idea, went right in easy peasy, not even greasy. Of course I am giving credit to some luck but first shot. Took longer to put the column back up with all the trim... So happy right now.
Good job
Old 06-13-2016, 10:24 PM
csthews
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Good job. Again remember don't use the steering wheel as leverage to get in and out of the car or you will have to do it again. You may even want to limit tilting the steering wheel also.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:38 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by csthews
Good job. Again remember don't use the steering wheel as leverage to get in and out of the car or you will have to do it again. You may even want to limit tilting the steering wheel also.
They have a over sized pin for this too.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:11 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

They have a over sized pin for this too.
The over-sized pin doesn't cure the issue it just prolongs it
Old 06-20-2016, 07:37 PM
RayTremblay
Intermediate

Yea there is a bit of play in the column but it is not too bad for now. I don't push off of the wheel at all because of it. Funny enough, I found a video on "proper entry and exit of your C4" on you tube and took the 45 seconds to watch it. The old guy that did it was correct and made it much easier. I learned to use that high kick panel that one trips over to push off of with my left hand, making me able to not even touch the wheel. Of course, I will have to teach the wife that trick when I give her the car. Her birthday is not until the 28th, and I am finding it dificult to wait now that it is all back together, but I am trying.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP Steering Colum Stuff

Quick Reply: HELP Steering Colum Stuff