C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Distributer cap removal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 08:27 PM
86 pacer eric
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributer cap removal?

Stupid question I know but for the life of me I can't get to the 2 back screws on the cap.
My hands are to big to come in on the side so I guess come in at the top but I'm having a time trying to find the size is it standard or metric.
So any help would be help full a pic would be perfect thanks
Old 06-21-2016, 09:08 PM
joeld
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I use this type of extension, works good.

Joel

http://www.homedepot.com/p/eazypower...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 06-21-2016, 09:27 PM
cmontel727
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 pacer eric
Stupid question I know but for the life of me I can't get to the 2 back screws on the cap.
My hands are to big to come in on the side so I guess come in at the top but I'm having a time trying to find the size is it standard or metric.
So any help would be help full a pic would be perfect thanks
I thinks its either a 7 or 8mm. I use a 1/4 wobble extension from the top. Works perfect.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:54 PM
86 pacer eric
Instructor

Originally Posted by joeld
I use this type of extension, works good.

Joel

http://www.homedepot.com/p/eazypower...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Ok thanks that's what I'm talking about I spent more than 3 hours today trying to get to those 2 screws in the back I just couldn't get in their
Old 06-22-2016, 03:55 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

The screws in the distributor cap have 1/4" hex heads. I use a 6" long 1/4" extension to get in there.

Note that the distributor has to be oriented correctly to get access to those rear screws.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:30 AM
brushmor
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I just mark the distributor, loosen the locking bolt, and rotate back and forth to get access.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:13 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 151 Posts

mine has the little spring loaded L shaped arm

even then it's a pain to get to the back ones....
Old 06-22-2016, 11:59 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbles
mine has the little spring loaded L shaped arm

even then it's a pain to get to the back ones....
That is an aftermarket distributor
Old 06-22-2016, 12:05 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 151 Posts

nope!
it's an 84
Old 06-22-2016, 01:31 PM
86 pacer eric
Instructor

I tried a combination of extensions with a swivel wrench and the problem is I can't get on their level it looks like the cap sits back a little plus that weatherstrip for the hood over hangs just enough so I can't get a straight shot

I have an 86 and from what I can tell from the front 2 it's just a small screw not those L brackets so the last thing I want to do is strip those back 2
So I tried to come from the side with a combination wrench the problem with that is cause the screw is small size so is the wrench to do it and I got man sized hands so that makes this complicated
I say this cause the guy across the street who is a mustang lover came and got in the mix and was laughing oh it's a 5 min job but his cap is out in the open so I guess you got to have a vette to understand so all the input from you guy's is helpful. Thanks
Old 06-22-2016, 02:47 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

It's easy if you've got an '84! I made an extra-long screwdriver for mine from a 1/4 inch dia. rod. That same tool works great for orienting my oil pump drive so my distributor will drop into place.

(Thanks, Cliff)
Old 06-22-2016, 05:55 PM
cmontel727
Racer

I tried a combination of extensions with a swivel wrench and the problem is I can't get on their level it looks like the cap sits back a little plus that weatherstrip for the hood over hangs just enough so I can't get a straight shot

I have an 86 and from what I can tell from the front 2 it's just a small screw not those L brackets so the last thing I want to do is strip those back 2
So I tried to come from the side with a combination wrench the problem with that is cause the screw is small size so is the wrench to do it and I got man sized hands so that makes this complicated
I say this cause the guy across the street who is a mustang lover came and got in the mix and was laughing oh it's a 5 min job but his cap is out in the open so I guess you got to have a vette to understand so all the input from you guy's is helpful. Thanks
You need to get a set if these wobble extensions. I got mine from home depot like fifteen dollars.

Old 06-22-2016, 06:28 PM
86 pacer eric
Instructor

Those look like what I ordered from Amazon a co worker and I were talking and the point of 1/4 vs 3/8 came up and honestly I just don't see the day and night difference I tried a 6 inch 3/8 extension and the problem was the socket wouldn't sit flat on the screw and I do not want to stip it. So for arguments sake what is the difference how is 1/4 gonna fit better
Old 06-23-2016, 05:55 PM
cmontel727
Racer

Those look like what I ordered from Amazon a co worker and I were talking and the point of 1/4 vs 3/8 came up and honestly I just don't see the day and night difference I tried a 6 inch 3/8 extension and the problem was the socket wouldn't sit flat on the screw and I do not want to stip it. So for arguments sake what is the difference how is 1/4 gonna fit better
The thinner extension and the ability to wobble the socket off center will allow you to access the nut perfectly from the top. I initially tried to use a 3/8 extension and it hits the side of the distributer not allowing the socket to seat properly on the nut. Once you try using a 1/4" extension you will see the difference it makes.

Get notified of new replies

To Distributer cap removal?

Quick Reply: Distributer cap removal?