C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Parking brake stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 06:20 PM
PimpmasterJ
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking brake stuck

Hey guys, just bought a 94 torch red with 98k miles, unfortunately the parking brake is stuck on and I can't get it to release. Handle now moves freely up and down with no resistance whatsoever, looks as if the little metal pin that's attached to the lever that moves up and down with the button is outside of its guide, when I try to push the button in it just ends up grinding on the outside of the guides.

Am I doing something wrong in the parking brake procedure? or is it just ****ed and I have to open it up and take a better look?
Old 07-25-2016, 06:29 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by PimpmasterJ
Hey guys, just bought a 94 torch red with 98k miles, unfortunately the parking brake is stuck on and I can't get it to release. Handle now moves freely up and down with no resistance whatsoever, looks as if the little metal pin that's attached to the lever that moves up and down with the button is outside of its guide, when I try to push the button in it just ends up grinding on the outside of the guides.

Am I doing something wrong in the parking brake procedure? or is it just ****ed and I have to open it up and take a better look?
before you go crazy in the later C-4s pushing the button itself will not release the brake, pull up the handle and when you feel resistance push the button or keep button pushed on the way up and keep the button depressed (caging the ratchet teeth)and bring the handle down brakes should release.

Last edited by s carter; 07-25-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:37 PM
PimpmasterJ
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by s carter
before you go crazy in the later C-4s pushing the button itself will not release the brake, pull up the handle and when you feel resistance push the button and keep the button depressed (caging the ratchet teeth)and bring the handle down brakes should release.
Thanks for your response, I kept trying that but it didn't seem to be working.

Here's my attempt to release it

1. pull lever up
2. press button in
3. push down
4. grinding noise from parking brake lever housing
5. Parking brake still on

Like i said, the little metal rod looks like it's hitting the outside guides.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:46 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Thanks for your response, I kept trying that but it didn't seem to be working.

Here's my attempt to release it

1. pull lever up
2. press button in
3. push down
4. grinding noise from parking brake lever housing
5. Parking brake still on

Like i said, the little metal rod looks like it's hitting the outside guides.
Well if it is truly stuck you need to at least remove the seat bottom, you can leave the tracks in. Remove the handle cover and manually release the brake and look for a replacement or repair.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4-Corvette-...-/142061511121

or see some of the vendors in the parts for sale section

Last edited by s carter; 07-25-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:49 PM
PimpmasterJ
Heel & Toe

Well if it is truly stuck you need to at least remove the seat bottom, you can leave the tracks in. Remove the handle cover and manually release the brake and look for a replacement or repair.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/C4-Corvette-...-/142061511121

or see some of the vendors in the parts for sale section
Appreciate the help, what's the procedure for manually releasing?
Old 07-25-2016, 06:57 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Appreciate the help, what's the procedure for manually releasing?
get access to the ratchet have a small pick or screw driver on hand, raise up on the handle put tension on the cable find were ratchet teeth meet pawl (or where the rod would do it) release the tooth engagement and lower the handle. cable should loosen

Last edited by s carter; 07-25-2016 at 06:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PimpmasterJ (07-25-2016)
Old 07-25-2016, 07:04 PM
PimpmasterJ
Heel & Toe

get access to the ratchet have a small pick or screw driver on hand, raise up on the handle put tension on the cable find were ratchet teeth meet pawl (or where the rod would do it) release the tooth engagement and lower the handle. cable should loosen
Thanks, I'll give it a try tommorow. Currently storming outside.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:27 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Thanks, I'll give it a try tommorow. Currently storming outside.
you want to push the little shoe at the base of the button rod
Attached Images  

Last edited by s carter; 07-25-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:34 PM
PimpmasterJ
Heel & Toe

you want to push the little shoe at the base of the button rod
Cool, thanks for the picture clarification. I'm pretty sure it's ****ed considering when I pull it all the way up, no click from the button or anything and it can't even hold itself up anymore it just falls down. The button also popped out at one point and the rod inside the handle was turning as I was pulling the lever up and down. I fixed that and called it quits because it started to rain and I didn't want to damage anything else.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:43 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Cool, thanks for the picture clarification. I'm pretty sure it's ****ed considering when I pull it all the way up, no click from the button or anything and it can't even hold itself up anymore it just falls down. The button also popped out at one point and the rod inside the handle was turning as I was pulling the lever up and down. I fixed that and called it quits because it started to rain and I didn't want to damage anything else.
I have a feeling your going to find it's Not broken once the teeth are engaged it disconnects from the handle until brake is released so for a lack of better words the handle goes limp until you reach the top stroke and recapture the cam and release the tension on the cable
Old 07-25-2016, 07:59 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

I had the same problem when I bought my C4.

Pull up the parking brake handle until it stops. Then pull as hard as you can and the lever should move a little more. Press the button and release the handle. The parking break should be released.

I couldn't believe how hard I had to pull on the lever to get it to move that last little bit.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:53 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by maj75
I had the same problem when I bought my C4.

Pull up the parking brake handle until it stops. Then pull as hard as you can and the lever should move a little more. Press the button and release the handle. The parking break should be released.

I couldn't believe how hard I had to pull on the lever to get it to move that last little bit.
Pull Up Push Button, It shouldn't require super strength but a effort.

Last edited by s carter; 07-25-2016 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:07 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

If none of the above works, check this thread.........
The clue is "the button popped off"

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-stuck-up.html
Old 07-25-2016, 09:18 PM
PimpmasterJ
Heel & Toe

Does anyone know a small writeup on how to get the driver side cushion off? Just as a reference. I don't like to go in blind.

Jeez when I had my 92 in automatic I never touched the parking brake and when I did it worked flawlessly. As soon as I need to actually use it, something goes wrong.

Last edited by PimpmasterJ; 07-25-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:34 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Does anyone know a small writeup on how to get the driver side cushion off? Just as a reference. I don't like to go in blind.

Jeez when I had my 92 in automatic I never touched the parking brake and when I did it worked flawlessly. As soon as I need to actually use it, something goes wrong.
push hard with Knuckles front 1/3 of seat reach under there is a wire clip that is clicked over a little nub push it toward the rear or you could get a little abusive and pry around the nub.

P.S.
I have a better picture of the brake handle if needed
Old 07-25-2016, 09:41 PM
PimpmasterJ
Heel & Toe

push hard with Knuckles front 1/3 of seat reach under there is a wire clip that is clicked over a little nub push it toward the rear or you could get a little abusive and pry around the nub.

P.S.
I have a better picture of the brake handle if needed
A better picture would be appreciated thank you, i'm gonna tackle this tomorrow and going in with as much info as possible would be great.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:47 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

A better picture would be appreciated thank you, i'm gonna tackle this tomorrow and going in with as much info as possible would be great.
already done I replaced the shakey one from before

Last edited by s carter; 07-25-2016 at 09:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking brake stuck

Old 07-25-2016, 09:54 PM
PimpmasterJ
Heel & Toe

already done I replaced the shakey one from before
Many thanks, I'll report back tommorow with my results.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:33 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Many thanks, I'll report back tommorow with my results.
When your inside become familiar with the workings because when you fix this problem some day you may need to change your rear brake pads, and at that time you will need to know how to cage the auto adjust or if your Current ratchet is truly broken you will need to know how to do it to install the replacement if it doesn't come pre-caged
Old 07-26-2016, 08:44 AM
PimpmasterJ
Heel & Toe

When your inside become familiar with the workings because when you fix this problem some day you may need to change your rear brake pads, and at that time you will need to know how to cage the auto adjust or if your Current ratchet is truly broken you will need to know how to do it to install the replacement if it doesn't come pre-caged
Alright so I decided to go at it last night and i was able to get the parking brake to release by seperating the racheting arm from the teeth like you guys said. Unfortunately i believe the culprit of why rhe system isn't working is the little arm on the button rod. It's bent and out of position. I ended up putting it back together for now, but at least i know thr problem.

Unfortunately there is a new problem, car has a moderare to light throttle hesitation. As soon as i go over half throttle to WOT it stops. Car also likes to rev high when stopped, about 1500 rpm in neutral or in gear, it'll hover around 1k for a bit then shoot up to 15. The car wasn't doing this when I test rode it the day I bought it, UGHH.

Quick Reply: Parking brake stuck