C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Did Seafoam Kill my Vette? I'm stressed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 12:13 AM
Nomad74
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Did Seafoam Kill my Vette? I'm stressed!

I found a killer deal on a C4 I could not pass up. The car had been sitting in a field and was very neglected by the owner. It had been sitting out there without the targa top on it! The poor car was covered in dirt and mud. All sorts of fun stuff was in the interior. The guy had got it for $500 from his buddy that owned a tow yard. So the guy picked it up, and put it in the field where it continued its life of neglect (with the top off!)

Anyway, after going around with the guy for a couple of weeks, He finally became desperate enough to sell me the Vette for what he paid for it. I was a happy guy.

I got it started and nursed it home. It was running surprisingly well and the dirt clods were flying off. Over the next couple of days I started cleaning it up, pulling out empty cans and pine needles. I figured some Seafoam in the gas tank would be good measure so off to the auto parts store I went in the Vette. Poured in the Seafoam and within 7 miles the car started to back fire and lose power. As I drove, it got progressively worse. Now the LT1 will barely Idle.

Currently I'm replacing the plugs. So far I've replaced the 4 plugs on the passenger side, and tomorrow i'll knock out the drivers side. I tried to test it after doing only 4 plugs but its still running horrible. Hopefully after I replace the other 4 it will be better, but I'm thinking my next step will be a new fuel filter. Oh, all the plugs I pulled were gummed up and black.

Does seafoam in the fuel tank work that fast? Did it work through my system and cause the deposits to come loose? Seems rather fast.

Anyway, here is a little youtube video of my project. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited by Nomad74; 07-27-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:26 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

If you poured Sea Foam in on top of nasty old gas, there is no telling what got washed down stream into the filter and possibly your injectors. Cars that have been left to sit out have a wild number of things that could be contaminating their liquids. You should drain the tank and change the fuel filter. Check the oil for water if you haven't already changed it. Might be able to take the injectors out and clean them with carb/injector cleaner if it still won't run after a plug/filter change and fuel line washout. You don't have a lot of money tied up yet so don't make things worse by trying to rush it. Check the water pump bottom side for a leak or drops of antifreeze while it's cold and you can put your hand under there. You don't want a leak to pee into your Opti Spark. That would be a tough initiation into the LT1 club! Good luck with it!
The following users liked this post:
Nomad74 (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 06:20 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

if that's the original color, it looks to be a copper metallic - one of the few "rare" colors in the C4 corvette world (one of 116).

no telling what the seafoam kicked up, but start with a complete fuel system cleaning and service, and service all fluids - baby steps....

if you don't have a FSM, get one.

if you need injector cleaning and service, call Jon at FIC for a set of boschIII rebuilds.

$500 -
Nomad74 (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:09 AM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That had to throw some codes. A fuel pressure gauge would tell you in 1 minute what's happening. Drain the gas, change the filter. It can be changed from the bottom in 10 minutes.. Leave it alone up top. For the money you are golden, however formulate a better plan for resurection. A new opti and injectors are not that awful considering how much impact they make on driveability.

Seafoam is not that agressive, but could have dislodged some crap. The '94 opti is vented so check that. After seeing the fan switch God knows what you are up against. Have fun! It's a cool rare color.

Last edited by tlong; 07-27-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Nomad74 (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:18 AM
BOOT77
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm sure it was well abused before it sat in that field or you put seafoam in it. I put the stuff in my car all the time for storage, same thing as fuel Sta-bil according to the msds.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:55 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Seafoam didn't kill the car, you did, by not draining and cleaning the tank before ever starting the engine...You probably have a tank full of water since C4s are notorious for having the drain in the filler boot clog up , and then allowing water to enter the tank..The car should have never been started until the oil and gas were drained and replaced..Big mistake......:...WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-27-2016 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:19 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

Just check the basics, the sea foam did not cause a problem. Look for spark and fuel. To me it sounds like a spark issue but could be fuel so trouble shoot the basics and move on.

Note: I just watched part of the video and it appears to be a fuel issue to me, check the fuel pressure, and check to make sure you do not have water in the fuel. It has been suggested that you should drain the fuel tank and I agree with that idea.

Last edited by bjankuski; 07-27-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Nomad74 (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 09:46 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I'm sure it was well abused before it sat in that field or you put seafoam in it
Old 07-27-2016, 10:24 AM
Nomad74
Advanced

Ok, Thanks guys. Sounds like i'll be draining the fuel tank. What is the best way to go about this? Remove the fuel filter and let it drain into a bucket?

The guy told me the car had been driven, but I should have know better after seeing it. I feel dumb now, but I guess my optimism got the best of me.

Good to know about the color. I'll have to find the color code and make sure. I just assumed it was Dark Red.

Last edited by Nomad74; 07-27-2016 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:20 AM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomad74
Ok, Thanks guys. Sounds like i'll be draining the fuel tank. What is the best way to go about this? Remove the fuel filter and let it drain into a bucket?

The guy told me the car had been driven, but I should have know better after seeing it. I feel dumb now, but I guess my optimism got the best of me.

Good to know about the color. I'll have to find the color code and make sure. I just assumed it was Dark Red.
The Best and sure way of knowing that Fuel System is clean is to remove the sending unit and Syphon out the tank and wipe the inside of tank out. That way you can see First hand what is in there and Guarantee that Old Farmer Joe didn't pour gas from that old Nasty can from the Barn. Not to Mention he Didn't Exactly get it from a Genius either.

Last edited by s carter; 07-27-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Nomad74 (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 11:37 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I believe you have clogged up your injectors with whatever junk the seafoam dislodged. You should not have started it.

If its been sitting a long time, i'd disconnect the fuel lines, drain them, change the fuel filter which is certainly clogged, and I'd get into the fuel tank and make sure its alright.

If you have pressure at the rail (valve is pass. side, rear, near the distributor), its probably the injectors that will have to come out and be cleaned as well. If you don't have pressure the fuel filter likely caught most of it, but you will want to get the injectors out and cleaned anyway.

Then I'd drain the oil out before starting, check for coolant leaks with the old stuff, then drain every drop of it out too.

Your brake fluid needs to come out as well if its been sitting, but that is for later.
Nomad74 (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 11:55 AM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomad74

Very good video.
Nomad74 (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 12:28 PM
Nomad74
Advanced

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
sounds like a V4

it's been sugested here that a bad injector will shut down a bank of cylinders

fuel pressure test #1
I'll see if I can borrow a fuel pressure gauge from my mechanic. I just got done with the remaining four plugs. What a fun time that was!

Once again guys, Yes, I admit, it was a dummy move to drive it home. At the time there were 4 other guys bugging him about the car, so i wanted to get it out of there ASAP. I admit, I screwed up. But i'm willing to pay for my mistake and fix it. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-27-2016, 12:54 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

before you get in too deep its easy to get ooh ahh over seeing a vette laying in a field for 500

But if its been there for any length of time, esp with the op off and left for dead me thinks youll be chasing problems and expensive ones for LONG time.

If youre in love with it and just like to mess with cars, one thing
Otherwise get it running enough to say "it runs/drives" clean it up a little and dump it. These are just too expensive to bring back from that condition. Not trying to burst your bubble just throwing it out there.

Some cars can be brough back for some elbow grease and reasonable money these, different ballgame. Many parts are Vette specific and expensive.
WW7 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 12:56 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by WW7
Seafoam didn't kill the car, you did, by not draining and cleaning the tank before ever starting the engine...You probably have a tank full of water since C4s are notorious for having the drain in the filler boot clog up , and then allowing water to enter the tank..The car should have never been started until the oil and gas were drained and replaced..Big mistake......:...WW

You need to drain and clean the tank.
Flush all the fuel lines (pressure and return) and the fuel rail.
Replace the fuel filter.
Find a reconditioned set of 22lb (stock) injectors.

Simply changing the plugs is not the direction you need to be heading at this point.

Good Luck
Nomad74 (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 01:04 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Well looks like you got a great find. You can find out what options it came with by looking up the codes on the Service Parts ID tag that is in the rear under the passenger side compartment door. should look like this.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:07 PM
Nomad74
Advanced

seems like your trouble began after changing the spark plugs

as a rule I never change plugs without doing the plug wires

what are the odds you damaged the plug wires while removing the boots
last time I did Em on my 2004 LS1 vette I killed 6 out of 8 and I've been doing this for 41 years

No, it was running bad before the plug change. My hope was they were just fouled out. I'm now doing a fuel pressure test. I'll post my results. You have a good point about the wires. I tried to be careful, but who knows!

Last edited by Nomad74; 07-27-2016 at 01:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Did Seafoam Kill my Vette? I'm stressed!

Old 07-27-2016, 01:11 PM
Nomad74
Advanced

Originally Posted by We Gone
Well looks like you got a great find. You can find out what options it came with by looking up the codes on the Service Parts ID tag that is in the rear under the passenger side compartment door. should look like this.

Dang! My sticker is missing!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:19 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

^^ ^^
Old 07-27-2016, 02:07 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

seems like your trouble began after changing the spark plugs

as a rule I never change plugs without doing the plug wires

what are the odds you damaged the plug wires while removing the boots
last time I did Em on my 2004 LS1 vette I killed 6 out of 8( they were crunchy very crunchy) and I've been doing this for 41 years
Plug wires aren't that bad that they have to be changed every year or other year. I would check them with a fine water mist at night but not just change to change

Quick Reply: Did Seafoam Kill my Vette? I'm stressed!