C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

peedometer reading too high

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:23 PM
Gonzo93
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default peedometer reading too high

I have a 1993 C4 with automatic transmission purely stock. I was driving along the other day going about 60 mph when the speedometer jumped to around 80 MPH. it's been reading about 20 MPH higher since then. Any ideas as to what it could be?
Old 07-30-2016, 06:57 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo93
I have a 1993 C4 with automatic transmission purely stock. I was driving along the other day going about 60 mph when the speedometer jumped to around 80 MPH. it's been reading about 20 MPH higher since then. Any ideas as to what it could be?
Are you sure you've not just hit the Metric function and now you're displaying KPH. It would be virtually impossible to have the situation you'be mentioned. Check it using any GPS function on perhaps your phone even.

Check your speeds at several MPH with the GPS and note the values .. Check with speedo at 45 ... 55 .... 65 ..... - trying to interpret a % of error to maybe be more technical in assessing your "said to be" issue.

Does the cruise work?
Old 07-30-2016, 02:25 PM
Gonzo93
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks WVZR-1 for the feedback. Being a Corvette Rookie, I'm learning something new every time I visit the Forum. The speedo was set to Metric. Guess I should dig deeper into the owner's manual. Thanks again!
Old 07-30-2016, 03:39 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo93
Thanks WVZR-1 for the feedback. Being a Corvette Rookie, I'm learning something new every time I visit the Forum. The speedo was set to Metric. Guess I should dig deeper into the owner's manual. Thanks again!
I really thought it was very likely your situation BUT .... it's good to hear you've no real issue! What's interesting is to maybe take a bit of an advantage of someone that doesn't know and assumes the display is MILES and lowers/modifies his asking price.

40000 MILES is 64375 KILOMETERS - I was looking at a car (not a Corvette) and the car looked very good for the miles. It was a METRIC display and the seller didn't actually know. I didn't buy but the entire cluster was METRIC only.

Get notified of new replies

To peedometer reading too high

Quick Reply: peedometer reading too high