C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

overheating racecar

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 03:55 PM
The Bus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default overheating racecar

Put in a new 383 stroker motor. 380 HP at rear wheels. Prior engine [ ZZ4 ] modified made 330Hp at rear wheels and never saw over 220* water temp. New engine goes to 240 after 3 laps. Course about 2.2 miles. If I continue the temp keeps going up. Am using stock rad.
What's a good replacement that will do the job without a lot of fab work?
Old 09-21-2016, 07:52 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Every time I see one of these cars at the track I mention to the owner to keep the water temp down and get a big radiator if they will continue to do track events. I've seen several go home on the flatbed with blown head gaskets. After a better radiator use a high flow water pump. I would be nervous in the 220's let alone 240's.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:37 AM
Schieby
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,
how do you messure water temps? If it´s the stock digital dash cluster, please be aware that it shows to much temp. Verify this with a scan tool an you will see the temp 20 degree down.

Besides that, you could try water wetter. This should bring temps down around 16 to 20 degree. A bigger rad is of course a good idea.

To much ignition advance will quickly show high water temps. Check that.

Last edited by Schieby; 09-22-2016 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 05:28 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

what about the fan, is it working ?
Old 09-22-2016, 07:55 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Put in a new 383 stroker motor. 380 HP at rear wheels. Prior engine [ ZZ4 ] modified made 330Hp at rear wheels and never saw over 220* water temp. New engine goes to 240 after 3 laps. Course about 2.2 miles. If I continue the temp keeps going up. Am using stock rad.
I used a Dewitt radiator, it fit well and works well but they are expensive.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:14 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I have one. Works, drops in, but pricey.

Put in a new 383 stroker motor. 380 HP at rear wheels.
You've increased HP 35%, but still using the stock cooling system capacity. There is the problem. You're right to want more radiator...esp for track use.

Originally Posted by Schieby
To much ignition advance will quickly show high water temps. Check that.
No it won't. Too much ignition advance will cause other symptoms first (like detonation). OP needs more radiator for more displacement, more power, and track use.

Originally Posted by blackozvet
what about the fan, is it working ?
Fan doesn't run over ~30mph, so it's probably not working on the track.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:56 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Toms right
Bigger motor
More heat
Need more radiator period

Engine oil cooler a bonus whatever it takes
Ea rod is travelling farther up and down for ea revolution the oil will get hotter too from more friction

Last edited by cv67; 09-22-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:05 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

In my race car I just use distilled water with about 2 qt's green anti freeze and 2 water wetter,just have to change when cold weather sets in.Car cooled better and ran cooler like that good luck,big radiators work well.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:26 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

I have a 400 RWHP 383 in my track car - Dewitts radiator (and no A/C coil) and I have no overheating problems. The Dewitts isn't a drop in - the shrouding needs a few mods to make it work, but if you got to their website it should have the details of what needs to be modified. I've heard very good things about Ron Davis Racing Rads as well - neither the Dewitts or the Ron Davis are cheap. Believe me - after you get the front six bolts holding the fan shroud out - the mods won't seem like much of a big deal. I did not put all six bolts back - I think I went with 4.

If you haven't already done so - pull the rad out and verify that there is no crud in the air box (most C4's get crudded up after a while). Also - do a full coolant flush including pulling the Knock sensors / block drains - you might be surprised what comes out of the block drains the first time you open them up. I know it's a "new" motor - but if the block was tanked - there might be a lot of crud in there...

I also recommend wiring in a switch to allow you to run the electric fans manually on a track car - that way you can switch them ON manually as you come off the track, and run them in the pits as needed. Once the car is doing over about 35 - 40 mph - the electric fans are basically along for the ride - but at pit / paddock speeds they do help.

Last edited by Purple92; 09-23-2016 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:59 PM
wideopen85
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An aftermarket air dam might help some...look up a "big mouth" air dam. I have no experience myself with these, but have heard good things.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:28 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple92
I have a 400 RWHP 383 in my track car - Dewitts radiator (and no A/C coil) and I have no overheating problems. The Dewitts isn't a drop in - the shrouding needs a few mods to make it work, but if you got to their website it should have the details of what needs to be modified. I've heard very good things about Ron Davis Racing Rads as well - neither the Dewitts or the Ron Davis are cheap. Believe me - after you get the front six bolts holding the fan shroud out - the mods won't seem like much of a big deal. I did not put all six bolts back - I think I went with 4.

If you haven't already done so - pull the rad out and verify that there is no crud in the air box (most C4's get crudded up after a while). Also - do a full coolant flush including pulling the Knock sensors / block drains - you might be surprised what comes out of the block drains the first time you open them up. I know it's a "new" motor - but if the block was tanked - there might be a lot of crud in there...

I also recommend wiring in a switch to allow you to run the electric fans manually on a track car - that way you can switch them ON manually as you come off the track, and run them in the pits as needed. Once the car is doing over about 35 - 40 mph - the electric fans are basically along for the ride - but at pit / paddock speeds they do help.
I'm running a Ron Davis race radiator. No heat problems here.

Get notified of new replies

To overheating racecar

Quick Reply: overheating racecar