C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

help replacing face plate 1985 bose radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 10:55 AM
1475glenave
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default help replacing face plate 1985 bose radio

hi, i have old face plate off by removing 3/16" bolt connecting computer board to back of plate. i need to remove computer board with its white connector which i have disconnected. i can't install new plate without removing this. there is not enough space to pull board and connector out...space is too small for size of connector. how can i get access. if it is the cassette mechanism, i don't know how to disconnect or move it to gain space needed. can you help? thank you
Old 09-24-2016, 11:32 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by 1475glenave
hi, i have old face plate off by removing 3/16" bolt connecting computer board to back of plate. i need to remove computer board with its white connector which i have disconnected. i can't install new plate without removing this. there is not enough space to pull board and connector out...space is too small for size of connector. how can i get access. if it is the cassette mechanism, i don't know how to disconnect or move it to gain space needed. can you help? thank you
Why do you need to take the board out? Just connect to the new faceplate.
To take the board out, you'll need to remove the tape player at least partially. There are 3 screws that you can spot easily. Also a small one in the end of the radio that is difficult to find and remove without the right socket

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 09-24-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:42 AM
1475glenave
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Why do you need to take the board out? Just connect to the new faceplate.
To take the board out, you'll need to remove the tape player at least partially
thanks, i have tried to do it that way several times but it is very difficult to get everything lined up and board back in normal position. the board fits under a small plastic retainer and extremely difficult to access that way. if board were out it would be much easier. can you further advise? thank you again.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks, i have tried to do it that way several times but it is very difficult to get everything lined up and board back in normal position. the board fits under a small plastic retainer and extremely difficult to access that way. if board were out it would be much easier. can you further advise? thank you again.
I know it's really hard to do. When I work on one I almost always take the tape out. Only takes a couple minutes to do it, But you need this 4.5mm socket for the tough screw on the end. Sometimes it's a phillips head, but not usually
Attached Images  

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 09-24-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 12:14 PM
1475glenave
Advanced

I know it's really hard to do. When I work on one I almost always take the tape out. Only takes a couple minutes to do it, But you need this 4.5mm socket for the tough screw on the end. Sometimes it's a phillips head, but not usually
can you explain where the 3 screws are and the 1 difficult bolt? i have radio open looking at the back. white connectors and board are on the left. does the cassette come out or just move? thanks
Old 09-24-2016, 12:50 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

can you explain where the 3 screws are and the 1 difficult bolt? i have radio open looking at the back. white connectors and board are on the left. does the cassette come out or just move? thanks
turn radio upside down and take cover off. Mounts off too.
You'll see the 3 screws holding cassette in. 1 on top and 2 in back.
Now look on the end opposite ***** very near the mount stud. There is a hole opening with screw in there. That needs to come out. Then cassette can come out and you'll be able to take out the circuit board that attaches to the face plate

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 09-24-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:46 PM
1475glenave
Advanced

turn radio upside down and take cover off. Mounts off too.
You'll see the 3 screws holding cassette in. 1 on top and 2 in back.
Now look on the end opposite ***** very near the mount stud. There is a hole opening with screw in there. That needs to come out. Then cassette can come out and you'll be able to take out the circuit board that attaches to the face plate
thank you so much for all your help. i really appreciate it!
The following users liked this post:
Cruisinfanatic (09-24-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To help replacing face plate 1985 bose radio

Quick Reply: help replacing face plate 1985 bose radio