C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Quick fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 05:25 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Quick fuel pump question

In checking a code problem, I found out that my fuel pressure on my '88 base model Vette was not up to snuff and after checking several things, the fuel pump apparently needs changing. Can someone either tell me where and how the wires to the fuel pump assembly disconnect or provide a pic?

I found a couple of threads on the Forum about replacing the pump and doing fine except the pics do not show up in the sticky explaining this and the explanation is pretty vague, i.e., disconnect wires. I see how they disconnect from the pump and below the plate at the top, but I don't see how they disconnect on the outside of the pump assembly, i.e., near the hose connections. The FSM also does not provide detail. I know it must be easy, and I must be overlooking something as they should easily disconnect. Thanks for any words of wisdom!
Old 11-10-2016, 06:53 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

There is a plug for it some have found it tucked in some.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Carvet
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a rubber boot surrounding the fuel cap. After you remove that follow the wires to the right and you'll find the plug/ connector. Easy.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:32 PM
cuengineer
Pro

So the connector is not actually on the fuel pump assembly. I found what looks like some kind of connector attached above the bumper and to the rear of the rubber boot. I can't see how it comes loose though but had wondered if this was where I need to disconnect. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:33 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

There is a plastic lock pin that keeps the connectors from coming apart. You need to remove that first.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:29 AM
Carvet
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it's 3 wires together coming out of the pump unit. Pull on them a little, you'll see the connector.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:35 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Got it replaced after getting a pic of the connector with my cell phone so I could see how it came apart. It was tucked under the rear panel above the bumper where I could not see it very well - probably partly a result of my four eye surgeries this year.,.

After getting to where I could see the little tab that must be removed before releasing the second tab, it was easy to disconnect. Never seen one of these style electrical connectors before that included the double release connector.

Anyway, thanks to all for helping me confirm that I was trying to take it apart at the right place!.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick fuel pump question

Quick Reply: Quick fuel pump question