C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

FX3 codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 03:55 PM
rhyno1
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FX3 codes

Hello all. I have a 94 LT1 couple. The service ride control light has been on for some time now. Car is not a daily driver, maybe driven once a month at best. I am getting a 13 and 33 code, which, of course, would be the left rear timing out, and, out of sequence. I removed and inspected the shock and the actuator. The gear on the shock moves freely 90 degrees, just as it should, and appears to be in good condition. The actuator appeared to be in good condition as well, with the gear still seemingly in tact, and, spinning when the car is started. I decided to replace the actuator anyway, as this seems to be the only probable issue if the gear on the shock is good. I purchased a used actuator from a Corvette parts dealer on ebay. Same Product number as mine, so I know it came off of another FX3 equipped Corvette. Got everything installed, easy enough. Code is still coming up. ASSUMING the actuator I purchased is indeed good, are there any other possibilities I am missing? Do I need to reset the code? I was thinking the light will not come on if the start up diagnosis checks ok upon the car starting. I was going to send in my old actuator to the Captain (CNC) and let him rebuild it, but for the $100 with shipping for the eBay actuator, I figured having an extra around wouldn't hurt as they seem to be hard to come by when looking for a specific year and front or back. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:59 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The actuators are really the same with the only difference being the length of the wire harness. So what you can try is to move the actuator to the other side of the car and see what code(s) show up.

You will have to clear the codes before trying this. Ground Pin C of the ALDL for 2 seconds and repeat twice more.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:47 AM
rhyno1
6th Gear

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The actuators are really the same with the only difference being the length of the wire harness. So what you can try is to move the actuator to the other side of the car and see what code(s) show up.

You will have to clear the codes before trying this. Ground Pin C of the ALDL for 2 seconds and repeat twice more.
Ok, when I clear the codes, does the key need to be in the on position?
Thanks for the info...that is kind of what I was thinking...just hate to take off both back shocks....lol
Old 11-22-2016, 12:23 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by rhyno1
Ok, when I clear the codes, does the key need to be in the on position?
Thanks for the info...that is kind of what I was thinking...just hate to take off both back shocks....lol
Key needs to be ON with engine not running.

One thing you can try is to simply move that actuator to a front shock. If the actuator is bad, you will get a code for that position. The front actuator is easy to remove without jacking up the car. The only thing to check is the length of the wire harness. The connectors are the same.

The FSM has procedures for checking the actuators and the entire FX3 system; do you have the FSM for your year?
Old 11-22-2016, 02:31 PM
rhyno1
6th Gear

Absolutely...best money I ever spent. At the time I thought "they want HOW much for two books?!?" I have had the car since 95. (it is a 94). I had the first error message involving the selective ride control back in 96....called GM, and, at that time, of course they said it would be at least a $500 fix. Looked it up in my manual, found that it was the front actuator, and all I needed to do was tighten up the bolt on the shock where the gear is.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by rhyno1; 11-22-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:44 PM
#1weatherman
Intermediate

what device is required to read the codes?
Old 10-03-2018, 06:32 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by #1weatherman
what device is required to read the codes?
You need a paper clip and your laptop. Just jump the A &C on the ALDL with the paperclip and watch/count the light flash on the DIC. Look up your code on line.

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 10-03-2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:27 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Drive it !!!
Old 10-03-2018, 09:05 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

I bought a INNOVA 3140 scan tool obd2&1 . This works great can run test on a four of my cars, plus the kids use it. About $130.00. Good tech help to and comes with many plug ins for gm ford etc.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by fake
I bought a INNOVA 3140 scan tool obd2&1 . This works great can run test on a four of my cars, plus the kids use it. About $130.00. Good tech help to and comes with many plug ins for gm ford etc.
Most of the sales are for $240 which isn't a bad price.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:27 PM
#1weatherman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rhyno1
Hello all. I have a 94 LT1 couple. The service ride control light has been on for some time now. Car is not a daily driver, maybe driven once a month at best. I am getting a 13 and 33 code, which, of course, would be the left rear timing out, and, out of sequence. I removed and inspected the shock and the actuator. The gear on the shock moves freely 90 degrees, just as it should, and appears to be in good condition. The actuator appeared to be in good condition as well, with the gear still seemingly in tact, and, spinning when the car is started. I decided to replace the actuator anyway, as this seems to be the only probable issue if the gear on the shock is good. I purchased a used actuator from a Corvette parts dealer on ebay. Same Product number as mine, so I know it came off of another FX3 equipped Corvette. Got everything installed, easy enough. Code is still coming up. ASSUMING the actuator I purchased is indeed good, are there any other possibilities I am missing? Do I need to reset the code? I was thinking the light will not come on if the start up diagnosis checks ok upon the car starting. I was going to send in my old actuator to the Captain (CNC) and let him rebuild it, but for the $100 with shipping for the eBay actuator, I figured having an extra around wouldn't hurt as they seem to be hard to come by when looking for a specific year and front or back. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

What are you using to read the codes? Thank you.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:14 AM
#1weatherman
Intermediate

I have looked around at a couple of the Corvette after market web sites and can't seem to find a factory service manual. anybody got an idea where I might find one? thanks.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:10 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by #1weatherman
I have looked around at a couple of the Corvette after market web sites and can't seem to find a factory service manual. anybody got an idea where I might find one? thanks.
Do not buy the white books. Red only.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273492115631

Get notified of new replies

To FX3 codes

Quick Reply: FX3 codes