C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dill Emma- 87 Timing

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 05:59 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Dill Emma- 87 Timing

Replaced TPS and adjusted it for .54 volts per procedure.

New timing chain & gears, installed straight up (no retard or advance).

Harmonic Balancer looked excellent when off, marked TDC with white paint, re-installed it. I don't believe the ring has slipped.

Marked timing tab at 6 deg BTDC with white paint.
Rotated engine for TDC #1 compression, lined up 6 degree timing marks on balancer and tab.

Dropped distributor in with coil wire connector facing perpendicular to drivers side and with rotor pointing directly at #1 tower (standard C4 HEI per FSM). With this arrangement, EST disconnected, timing light indicates the timing is way off (advanced).

Engine will not idle below about 1000 rpm and is running rich
Below 900-1000 rpm it misfires and quits, so I can't idle it down to set the timing at 600rpm.
With the EST wire disconnected, the timing mark does move with a change in rpm

To get the timing marks to line up with a timing light, had to rotate the dist clockwise about 25 degrees or 1 plug wire tower (retard it). (but at over 900 rpm)

I can't get this thing to idle or run clean.

What am I missing here?

I'd pull my hair out but it's already gone.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:32 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom454
Replaced TPS and adjusted it for .54 volts per procedure.

New timing chain & gears, installed straight up (no retard or advance).

Harmonic Balancer looked excellent when off, marked TDC with white paint, re-installed it. I don't believe the ring has slipped.

Marked timing tab at 6 deg BTDC with white paint.
Rotated engine for TDC #1 compression, lined up 6 degree timing marks on balancer and tab.

Dropped distributor in with coil wire connector facing perpendicular to drivers side and with rotor pointing directly at #1 tower (standard C4 HEI per FSM). With this arrangement, EST disconnected, timing light indicates the timing is way off (advanced).

Engine will not idle below about 1000 rpm and is running rich
Below 900-1000 rpm it misfires and quits, so I can't idle it down to set the timing at 600rpm.
With the EST wire disconnected, the timing mark does move with a change in rpm

To get the timing marks to line up with a timing light, had to rotate the dist clockwise about 25 degrees or 1 plug wire tower (retard it). (but at over 900 rpm)

I can't get this thing to idle or run clean.

What am I missing here?

I'd pull my hair out but it's already gone.
your 25° is close to the one tooth off or 30° on the distributor gearing. suggestion - #1 at TDC compression, pull your distributor up to disengage the gears. square up the distributor - coil wires perpendicular the engine's centerline. rotate the rotor only CCW a bit so it points to the center of the LH valve cover emblem, and slowly drop the distributor to engage. when engaged, and lowering the distributor, the rotor will move CW about 30° and should end up pointing to (approximately) the #1 spark plug. might take a little wiggle-giggle, but it should fall into place. when your done, rotate the distributor assembly slightly, just a few degrees CCW. that should get you in the 6° BTDC ballpark. good luck -

Last edited by Joe C; 12-02-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:31 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Joe C
your 25° is close to the one tooth off or 30° on the distributor gearing. suggestion - #1 at TDC compression, pull your distributor up to disengage the gears. square up the distributor - coil wires perpendicular the engine's centerline. rotate the rotor only CCW a bit so it points to the center of the LH valve cover emblem, and slowly drop the distributor to engage. when engaged, and lowering the distributor, the rotor will move CW about 30° and should end up pointing to (approximately) the #1 spark plug. might take a little wiggle-giggle, but it should fall into place. when your done, rotate the distributor assembly slightly, just a few degrees CCW. that should get you in the 6° BTDC ballpark. good luck -

Yes... by rotating the dizzy to get the marks to line up, I basically already achieved that. I had planned to do that "fix" today. However, it will still not idle at 600rpm when it's done because it didn't when I rotated the dizzy.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

No mechanical advance in the dist. With the EST wire disconnected the timing can be set @ any RPM.

The running issue is some other problem suggest checking the firing order. If rich
miss-fire has occurred the spark plugs will need to be cleaned.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:31 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 464 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchkey
No mechanical advance in the dist. With the EST wire disconnected the timing can be set @ any RPM.

The running issue is some other problem suggest checking the firing order. If rich
miss-fire has occurred the spark plugs will need to be cleaned.

Good luck.
This is not true, the system will advance the ignition when you exceed around 1100 RPM to a fixed number (I do not know the number but it does happen). I have seen this many times when the RPM is too high and people try and set the base timing. If you watch the timing with light with the EST disconnected you can see it happen. Cars with large cams that idle high have issues with this because it is hard to get the idle below 1000 RPM with the EST disconnected.

My suggestion for the OP is to warm the car up with the EST connected and advanced timing, then once the car is nice and warm and willing to idle disconnect the EST and see if the timing can be set at 6 degrees.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:49 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

There may be a difference between the 87 MAF system & the 90 up speed density system IDK.

Bottom line the OP has an issue other than timing.

?, if there are timing issues with big cams why are factory ECU's being used with them?
Old 12-03-2016, 12:32 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Not true. The ignition module has a simplified advance curve built in and it will take over. It's a backup for the ECM's advance curve.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:35 AM
Joe C
Race Director

question - just curious, but what is the TOTAL advance for a basic L98 tuned port? stock, ECM controlled, HEI distributor.

Last edited by Joe C; 12-03-2016 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Joe C
question - just curious, but what is the TOTAL advance for a basic L98 tuned port? stock, ECM controlled, HEI distributor.
This ^^^^^^

If cammed & pistons the tuner needs to set total timing.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:45 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bjankuski
This is not true, the system will advance the ignition when you exceed around 1100 RPM to a fixed number (I do not know the number but it does happen). I have seen this many times when the RPM is too high and people try and set the base timing. If you watch the timing with light with the EST disconnected you can see it happen. Cars with large cams that idle high have issues with this because it is hard to get the idle below 1000 RPM with the EST disconnected.

My suggestion for the OP is to warm the car up with the EST connected and advanced timing, then once the car is nice and warm and willing to idle disconnect the EST and see if the timing can be set at 6 degrees.
Engine was hot. And yes... the timing advanced above about 1100rpm with the EST disconnected. It won't idle down regardless of temp. Obviously, I have multiple issues here.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:48 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

There may be a difference between the 87 MAF system & the 90 up speed density system IDK.

Bottom line the OP has an issue other than timing.

?, if there are timing issues with big cams why are factory ECU's being used with them?

I need a easy button to figure this out. Maybe I'll just install a 7psi fuel pressure regulator, 4bbl intake & carb and 1 wire distributor.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:06 AM
Joe C
Race Director

This ^^^^^^

If cammed & pistons the tuner needs to set total timing.
just stock - factory tuned...
Old 12-03-2016, 02:31 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Yanked the distributor and rotated the gear 1 tooth counterclockwise. Now with the 1/8 towers forward, it's at about 6 degrees.... but at over 1500rpm. Still can't idle it down. I need to eliminate the factory ignition system to figure this out. Does anybody make a "tuning" setup that replaces the factory connections for tuning? IE- Isolates the minimum ignition parts? I think it would just need distributor, fuel injector and a controller?

Get notified of new replies

To Dill Emma- 87 Timing

Quick Reply: Dill Emma- 87 Timing