C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

383 stroker question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 04:23 PM
dgantt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 383 stroker question

I'm going to buy a blue print forged bottom end 383 stroker for my 90. My question is can I keep my TPI. I have AFR 195 heads that I had milled to 58cc I have the Eldelbrock hi flow TPI intake/runners they have been ported bigger as well along with my plenum. I have a 52mm TB. I had the complete system bench flow tested and it was able to flow 243cfm on my heads. Is that enough to support a 383 without having to scrap it and go with the mini ram system?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:05 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 468 Likes on 370 Posts

Run it, it will work fine.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:06 PM
dgantt
Instructor

You recon that will move enough air? Any idea what a mini ram moves?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:18 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

What pistons and cam are you considering?

I went with 20cc dished after milling my 195's to 58cc (before considering a stroker conversion).

If you have a larger base, why not go with larger runners too? Are you asking about the stock TPI tubes? If so, I'm surprised they'd measure 243 -- even with a large base.

I'd think a MR would be closer to 300cfm. Whatever the case, you can get an idea of the options by reading an intake "shootout" article:

Read this to make sure you understand the differences between intakes and air flow...
The following users liked this post:
dgantt (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 08:34 PM
dgantt
Instructor

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
What pistons and cam are you considering?

I went with 20cc dished after milling my 195's to 58cc (before considering a stroker conversion).

If you have a larger base, why not go with larger runners too? Are you asking about the stock TPI tubes? If so, I'm surprised they'd measure 243 -- even with a large base.

I'd think a MR would be closer to 300cfm. Whatever the case, you can get an idea of the options by reading an intake "shootout" article:

Read this to make sure you understand the differences between intakes and air flow...
My runners and base are eldelbrock hi flow and wave been opened up even larger. Don't know about the cam spec yet but I want higher compression somewhere in the mid 10s
Old 12-19-2016, 08:39 PM
dgantt
Instructor

Car runs good dyno'ed at 321/385 to the wheels, just ready for that up grade. I would like to keep the TPI because its paid for and the torque but I know the mini ram is where its at. Just was wondering with MY tpi system would it be worth the money to up grade to the mini ram.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:03 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I think it will run fine. My 91 is has 383 with ASM runners, Accel base, ported plenum, ported 113 heads and a LPE219 cam. It has run a best of 11.8x at 113. Just as you're thinking, I'm sure my car would be faster with a MR, or a SR for that matter, but it goes pretty good with a TPI style intake on it.
The following users liked this post:
dgantt (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 09:06 PM
dgantt
Instructor

Originally Posted by TA
I think it will run fine. My 91 is has 383 with ASM runners, Accel base, ported plenum, ported 113 heads and a LPE219 cam. It has run a best of 11.8x at 113. Just as you're thinking, I'm sure my car would be faster with a MR, or a SR for that matter, but it goes pretty good with a TPI style intake on it.
WOW you dipped into the 11s! so with the right cam and piston set up with my modified TPI set up and heads 11s should be no issues.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:12 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by dgantt
Car runs good dyno'ed at 321/385 to the wheels, just ready for that up grade. I would like to keep the TPI because its paid for and the torque but I know the mini ram is where its at. Just was wondering with MY tpi system would it be worth the money to up grade to the mini ram.
Take my advice with a grain of salt but the miniram will still allow you torque from the 383 and the afrs really get to run free. That old tpi is good stuff but it's done very quick. Make the most of your cubes and consider other options. We have guys that massage the stock tpi to improve midrange pull but if you want more of a screamer the miniram is the ticket. Only downside is they are about a grand minus a throttle body.

The 383 miniram I have not even tuned properly really wants to go with the miniram. Overall torque will probably get peaky with the miniram so if want all the torque over and done, the stock tpi can do it.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 12-19-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:41 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Both the SuperRam and miniram are good manifolds. When I ran a 383, I had a SR on for years. Great street/strip manifold. Torque down low, launched at 1900 rpms and still pulled to 6200. Good for 11 teens. I now have a 406. This motor runs about 2 tenths faster with the mini but that is wot at the strip. You can't go wrong with either. It would be good to do either with the new motor. A tpi will be ok but not ideal for maxing out your intake flow needs.
Old 12-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Matatk
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I had SLPs on my 383 before I upgraded to a Superram. The SR is vastly better in my opinion. That being said, having installed/removed/installed a SR several times....get the miniram.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:27 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

WOW you dipped into the 11s! so with the right cam and piston set up with my modified TPI set up and heads 11s should be no issues.
Look at his mph though. That car is doing the ET on launch grip, not power. That 113mph trap speed is a lot better indicator of the power. Not many cars run 11s at only 113mph. For reference, that's what a well-driven Mustang GT runs, and a 2016 Camaro SS is faster. This is not to rain on anyone's parade: I think his times are very impressive! But do not expect to be anywhere near 11s with your proposed setup unless you have slicks and fully drag-dedicated suspension.

The truth is that power is what accelerates a car, not torque at the crankshaft. Your engine will certainly run just fine with the TPI setup, but it will be a low-power/low-rpm setup like all TPI engines. That is largely regardless of the cross-section area of the runners and base - the long length of the runners with their resonant frequency is ultimately what caps the rpm capabilities of these engines. With a MR you would make considerably more power and have a wider powerband. It's hard for any of us to say it's "worth it," because it's not our money we're spending and we can't tell how important the extra power and rpm flexibility of a MR would be to you. It is completely valid to use the TPI you have, or to use it for now with an eye toward an upgrade in a year or two. It's just important to be clear on what the TPI's limitations really are.

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 12-21-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:28 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
how you get that to hook at the line?
Old 12-21-2016, 10:37 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 468 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
Look at his mph though. That car is doing the ET on launch grip, not power. That 113mph trap speed is a lot better indicator of the power. Not many cars run 11s at only 113mph. For reference, that's what a well-driven Mustang GT runs, and a 2016 Camaro SS is faster. This is not to rain on anyone's parade: I think his times are very impressive! But do not expect to be anywhere near 11s with your proposed setup.

The truth is that power is what accelerates a car, not torque at the crankshaft. Your engine will certainly run just fine with the TPI setup, but it will be a low-power/low-rpm setup like all TPI engines. That is largely regardless of the cross-section area of the runners and base - the long length of the runners with their resonant frequency is ultimately what caps the rpm capabilities of these engines. With a MR you would make considerably more power and have a wider powerband. It's hard for any of us to say it's "worth it," because it's not our money we're spending and we can't tell how important the extra power and rpm flexibility of a MR would be to you. It is completely valid to use the TPI you have, or to use it for now with an eye toward an upgrade in a year or two. It's just important to be clear on what the TPI's limitations really are.
Well written post.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:57 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
how you get that to hook at the line?
275/40/17 MT ET drag radials. This is with a D44 w/ 3.33 gears and a 2500 stall TC. It normally does in high 1.5x range in the 60'.

As others have indicated my car runs as well as it does simply because it gets off the line well. It makes it HP and torque down low, so it 60s pretty well, but isn't a ball of fire on the top end.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:20 PM
dgantt
Instructor

Thanks for the reply's guys, I just need to decide weather to keep my modified TPI or go mini ram before I order my engine so I can decide my cam specs.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:31 PM
gmjr
Heel & Toe

Default intake suggestion

Thanks for the reply's guys, I just need to decide weather to keep my modified TPI or go mini ram before I order my engine so I can decide my cam specs.
mini ram equals money tuning equals money victor jr with aftermarket self tuning efi several different brands out there is the best way to go.I myself went carbureted best thing I could have done no more sensors injectors etc etc been saving money every since. gmjr 10 sec 89 vette.

Get notified of new replies

To 383 stroker question

Old 12-22-2016, 06:08 PM
dgantt
Instructor

Originally Posted by gmjr
mini ram equals money tuning equals money victor jr with aftermarket self tuning efi several different brands out there is the best way to go.I myself went carbureted best thing I could have done no more sensors injectors etc etc been saving money every since. gmjr 10 sec 89 vette.
I have a FAST efi system on the car so tuning is no big deal, its a self tuning system.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:54 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I originally went with edelbrock hi Flo base and runners....that was the only disappointment in my build. I could not get my head around the price of the mini ram at the time. I eventually did get my head around it once I converted to the mini. I now also run the Holley HP stand alone self learning system eliminating all issues with the stock ECM. It's all good now, but you do what you want and what your budget allows. Good luck!!

Last edited by 856SPEED; 01-05-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:45 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm going to buy a blue print forged bottom end 383 stroker for my 90. My question is can I keep my TPI. I have AFR 195 heads that I had milled to 58cc I have the Eldelbrock hi flow TPI intake/runners they have been ported bigger as well along with my plenum. I have a 52mm TB. I had the complete system bench flow tested and it was able to flow 243cfm on my heads. Is that enough to support a 383 without having to scrap it and go with the mini ram system?
Its not so much about wether it will support the cfm.. but the long runners are changing the characteristics of the engine. The cam chosen should be selected with that in mind that the runners will give great low end response and torque. With a miniram youc an cam for higher up for more torque in the mid range and power top end. The potential for power is FAR greater with the miniram and imo the easy choice. The tpi however looks great.

Quick Reply: 383 stroker question