C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1995 performance chip or computer flash?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 10:00 PM
z-corvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 performance chip or computer flash?

I have a 95 lt1 and was looking into a possible increase in performance. Looks like this year has a obd2 plug but obd1 computer so does this mean it has the old school chip you need to replace or does it get a computer flash through the ALDL with a programmer? Thanks in advance

Last edited by z-corvette; 12-31-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:05 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by z-corvette
I have a 95 lt1 and was looking into a possible increase in performance. Looks like this year has a obd2 plug but obd1 computer so does this mean it has the old school chip you need to replace or does it get a computer flash through the ALDL with a programmer? Thanks in advance
It's a PCM and requires programming
The following users liked this post:
z-corvette (01-02-2017)
Old 12-31-2016, 10:19 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

There is not a removable chip. The PCM must be "flashed" to be updated.
z-corvette (01-02-2017)
Old 01-01-2017, 06:20 AM
z-corvette
Intermediate

thanks for intel.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:59 AM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

Also have a '95 I purchased from the original owner. He replaced the Dana 36 rear with a Dana 44 with 3:54 gears, 1.6 roller rockers and had a tune done. But whoever did the tune never compensated for the gear change. I can't seem to locate any kind of hand held tuner that would do this. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:29 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Tunercat will allow you to make the changes with your laptop. You need the program, a definition file and a cable, total cost around 150 dollars.
yakmastermax (01-22-2024)
Old 01-02-2017, 09:00 AM
Turbo Bob
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Corvette Challenge Champ-01
Dragster Challenge Champ-06

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Tunercat will allow you to make the changes with your laptop. You need the program, a definition file and a cable, total cost around 150 dollars.
Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:53 AM
z-corvette
Intermediate

I would like to flash the computer but I have no laptop. Is there a device where the mapping is included and all I have to do is plug it in and download it?
Old 01-02-2017, 12:24 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I would like to flash the computer but I have no laptop. Is there a device where the mapping is included and all I have to do is plug it in and download it?
I'm not aware of one. I haven't looked for cables recently, but if all that is out there are serial port cables (the end that connects to your computer, as opposed to more modern USB cables), then you might consider looking at ebay and craigslist for an old laptop that actually has a serial port. This would save the hassle of using a serial-to-USB adapter, not all of which work well. You can probably get such a laptop for $100 or less. You can use Tunercat on Win7, but I'm not sure it works on Win10. If the old laptop you buy comes with XP, that's probably even better since you don't have to jack around with compatibility modes.

If you're thinking that 1999 called and it wants its technology back...you're right. OTOH, you might post where you're located and maybe someone can help you if all you need is to recalibrate your speedometer.

EDIT: Oops, got you confused with Turbo Bob. I'd say that if you want to work on performance tuning, you should really purchase the equipment noted above and dive in. You'll need to do significant learning, then logging, then tweaking the stock calibration, and finally logging some more to see how the changes affected the performance. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed. OTOH, http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/tips/ has not only tons of useful guidance on doing your own tuning with the equipment we mentioned, but he may be able to create a tune for you and loan you the equipment to flash it and log the changes.

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 01-02-2017 at 12:30 PM.
z-corvette (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 01:37 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Fyi, tunercat does work with windows 10.
z-corvette (01-02-2017)
Old 01-02-2017, 07:58 PM
z-corvette
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
I'm not aware of one. I haven't looked for cables recently, but if all that is out there are serial port cables (the end that connects to your computer, as opposed to more modern USB cables), then you might consider looking at ebay and craigslist for an old laptop that actually has a serial port. This would save the hassle of using a serial-to-USB adapter, not all of which work well. You can probably get such a laptop for $100 or less. You can use Tunercat on Win7, but I'm not sure it works on Win10. If the old laptop you buy comes with XP, that's probably even better since you don't have to jack around with compatibility modes.

If you're thinking that 1999 called and it wants its technology back...you're right. OTOH, you might post where you're located and maybe someone can help you if all you need is to recalibrate your speedometer.

EDIT: Oops, got you confused with Turbo Bob. I'd say that if you want to work on performance tuning, you should really purchase the equipment noted above and dive in. You'll need to do significant learning, then logging, then tweaking the stock calibration, and finally logging some more to see how the changes affected the performance. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed. OTOH, http://www.lt1pcmtuning.com/tips/ has not only tons of useful guidance on doing your own tuning with the equipment we mentioned, but he may be able to create a tune for you and loan you the equipment to flash it and log the changes.
I checked that site and he lives in cinn oh, looks like he offers to tuneit himself locally.

Last edited by z-corvette; 01-03-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:00 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I checked that site and he lives in cinn oh, looks like he offers to tube it himself locally.
If you live around there, that's the easy-button solution.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I would imagine that if you absolutely needed to, you should learn how to tune. OTOH, if you are doing a "one off" thing, it might be better to let someone do it with a dyno. There is a learning curve which pays off later. That said, if you need to do it often, find a dyno facility and start learning. If you are constantly changing stuff for racing, spend the money getting dyno time and learning. I can't justify the time and money spent for a "one off" deal. I have mine set up and only had to retune for a better cold start that was irritating me. Even if you consider that, right there is 2 instances since 04.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:10 PM
94VenomVette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

make sure you get a datalogger for TunerCats so you can datalog and change parameters accordingly. IF you plan on doing it yourself
Old 10-08-2018, 09:23 PM
dozerman1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check with scotthansen.net he can help you.. P# is 775-530-5892.... he knows his sh.t

Get notified of new replies

To 1995 performance chip or computer flash?

Quick Reply: 1995 performance chip or computer flash?