C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

fuel gauge problem on my 91

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:06 PM
JSvach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel gauge problem on my 91

Gauge did work but now it doesn't since December. When I turn the parking lights or or the key to start it reads full for a few seconds then shows no gas and reserve. The tank is full. Where to start and what to check first. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2017, 05:50 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Stuck or bad sender in the tank easy fix.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:58 PM
JSvach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Stuck or bad sender in the tank easy fix.
I see it is easy. I have it open up now for access to the sender bolts. Local Vette salvage yard wants $100.00 for the complete unit. I can also buy just the new sender part without the fuel pump for $135.00. What do you think the best option would be?
Old 01-11-2017, 06:08 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,288 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by JSvach
I see it is easy. I have it open up now for access to the sender bolts. Local Vette salvage yard wants $100.00 for the complete unit. I can also buy just the new sender part without the fuel pump for $135.00. What do you think the best option would be?
The assembly is supposed to come as a complete unit with a new pump. Personally, I would opt for a new setup, a used part is open to issues with damage the sending unit for the gauge.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 PM
JSvach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
The assembly is supposed to come as a complete unit with a new pump. Personally, I would opt for a new setup, a used part is open to issues with damage the sending unit for the gauge.
I figured as much. Just bought one online AC Delco OEM with my discount $210.00 shipped. Great price. Corvette America wants $359.00.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:24 AM
JSvach
Intermediate

Default re

I figured as much. Just bought one online AC Delco OEM with my discount $210.00 shipped. Great price. Corvette America wants $359.00.
If anyone is in need of a sending unit. I got this one from Rock Auto. I had a 5% off coupon so it was only $210.00 shipped. They still have 2 left if you want one for a great price.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:34 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I would have gently cleaned the old one.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:25 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
OP - you didn't mention specifically what you bought and I don't shop/buy RA so you might post a link to what you believe to be complete with pump. I'm thinking NOT!!! I've a couple friends who consider me an RA "hater". I believe that I likely am.

"ChumpVette" I believe passed on bad information in regards to some/most GM tank units that use the tree style pump attachment these days. The only exception I recall was an LT5/ZR-1 sender that originally came with "both" pumps and was the only way OE/GM pumps were serviced.

I would have looked into a clean/repair or swap of the rheostat on the tree. Many years ago the rheostat could be purchased separately and I have bought and used them on GM tree senders. I've never done it on a C4 but many trucks and other GM. The C4 I'd think not difficult. There was a shop or two that I believe even offered the repair as a service.

I haven't looked for years, the last time I used one was maybe in '05 or '06.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-12-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:11 AM
JSvach
Intermediate

Default re

I would have just replaced the rheostat had I been able to find one. As far as cleaning goes I didn't want to go through that only to have the same problem again. It could even be the float has failed. Its winter, I can't do it outside and I want to do this one time quickly as possible since I'll have to do it with the garage heater off. I've put the link below. It's a complete AC Delco OEM part. For that price it's a new unit that should last my lifetime. I've never had a problem with RA. Most of my orders are here in 2 days and their shipping is very reasonable. Plus they have multiple options on the parts you're looking for. The price for this part is more than reasonable. You just need to install your fuel pump. Corvette America sells complete units for $359.00 and sending units only for around #129.00 I believe but who knows where they come from.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ding+unit,4436

Last edited by JSvach; 01-12-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:25 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

The price for this part is more than reasonable. You just need to install your fuel pump. Corvette America sells complete units for $359.00 and sending units only for around #129.00 I believe but who knows where they come from.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ding+unit,4436
Where do you believe this $210 unit came from?

I believe that Delphi actually does sell this as an assembly maybe. Here's an Amazon link to what might be/likely is a complete fuel tree with the pump and sock.

https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-HP1003.../dp/B001FIKCG8

BTW - Delphi is NOT GM

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-12-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:45 AM
JSvach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Where do you believe this $210 unit came from?

I believe that Delphi actually does sell this as an assembly maybe. Here's an Amazon link to what might be/likely is a complete fuel tree with the pump and sock.

https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-HP1003.../dp/B001FIKCG8

BTW - Delphi is NOT GM
Where does it say Delphi at RA? Where does anything come from anymore? I'd think GM would make a better part than CA. Who really cares? Life's to short to worry about this minutia.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:55 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Delphi was spun off from GM years ago but still made parts for them.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:51 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Where does it say Delphi at RA? Where does anything come from anymore? I'd think GM would make a better part than CA. Who really cares? Life's to short to worry about this minutia.
I get it -

I didn't say that the RA offering was Delphi. GM/ACD didn't manufacture your purchase either. They re-boxed something from somewhere! I mentioned your buy because in your post #5 you assumed it to be complete and mentioned again in post#6 & 9 (before your edit) you hinted/assumed the same. In posts 5 & 6 you boasted the great pricing and suggested others maybe do the same.

If anyone is in need of a sending unit. I got this one from Rock Auto. I had a 5% off coupon so it was only $210.00 shipped. They still have 2 left if you want one for a great price.
I was only interested in letting the others know what I felt the offering is. An empty sender with no pump or sock.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-12-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:13 AM
JSvach
Intermediate

Default re

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I get it -

I didn't say that the RA offering was Delphi. GM/ACD didn't manufacture your purchase either. They re-boxed something from somewhere! I mentioned your buy because in your post #5 you assumed it to be complete and mentioned again in post#6 & 9 (before your edit) you hinted/assumed the same. In posts 5 & 6 you boasted the great pricing and suggested others maybe do the same.

I was only interested in letting the others know what I felt the offering is. An empty sender with no pump or sock.
I never mentioned anywhere in my posts that the pump was included. The edit was to let people know that if they mistakenly thought it did. This will be my last comment on this post. Just let it go.

Get notified of new replies

To fuel gauge problem on my 91

Quick Reply: fuel gauge problem on my 91