C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Front Lower Control arm removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 02:43 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Front Lower Control arm removal

Hi guys...
I'm replacing the front bushings in my 95 coupe, and have everything removed on the right front side except the lower control arm. The rear mounting bolt hits the engine mount bracket brace and the FSM said that this needs to be removed to take out the lower control arm. Since I am doing one side at a time my instinct is to make a temporary support for the one side of the engine before unbolting the brace and moving it out of the way enough to provide clearance to remove the lower control arm bolt.
The FSM doesn't provide any advice about stabilizing the engine while removing this brace, or even if it is necessary to do so. I'm sure that some of you have been down this same road so here's the questions:

Does removal of one of these braces at a time represent a significant risk to the engine mounting that I should create a temporary support for the engine during removal?
If the answer to the above question is 'yes', where would be the best engine hard point to place this support? I do not have a overhead lift so I would need to support from below via a hydraulic jack.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-2017, 04:46 PM
JimZRyd
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

When I was redoing the front suspension on my 94, I ran into the same issue. After searching exhaustingly I did find that you can remove that brace behind the LCA but I couldn't get my hand into the tight space to get to all the bolts.

My solution... I loosened the LCA bolt as much as I could and cut it off with my dremel and a couple of metal cut off wheels. Bought a replacement set off of eBay and reinstalled the bolts in the opposite direction then they originally were. Some might say they shouldn't be installed backwards but others say it's ok. I'm with the ok crowd.

Jim
Old 01-28-2017, 07:09 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Remove the brackets, no big deal. I don't recall whether I supported the engine with anything but a floor jack under the oil pan probably wouldn't hurt. Mine were out for a few days as I ended up having a shop install my new ball joints.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:35 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Originally Posted by RUU
Remove the brackets, no big deal. I don't recall whether I supported the engine with anything but a floor jack under the oil pan probably wouldn't hurt. Mine were out for a few days as I ended up having a shop install my new ball joints.
Thanks for the reply!

I've been reading through other threads regarding motor mounts and alot of people were writing about a 2x8 on top of the hydraulic jack to raise the engine via the oil pan. Since I am not going to raise the engine, just stabilize it while the engine mount/brace is removed I don't see too much of a significant risk in doing it this way.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:37 PM
jpipx
Instructor

Originally Posted by JimZRyd
When I was redoing the front suspension on my 94, I ran into the same issue. After searching exhaustingly I did find that you can remove that brace behind the LCA but I couldn't get my hand into the tight space to get to all the bolts.

My solution... I loosened the LCA bolt as much as I could and cut it off with my dremel and a couple of metal cut off wheels. Bought a replacement set off of eBay and reinstalled the bolts in the opposite direction then they originally were. Some might say they shouldn't be installed backwards but others say it's ok. I'm with the ok crowd.

Jim
Thanks for the reply. I'm probably going to try to stabilize via the oil pan and see if I can remove the brace. If this does not work I may need to reconsider your method.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:49 PM
Fastnail
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I removed the brackets on both sides of my 96 and didn't need to do any support of the engine when I did my front bushings on the car. I think the brackets are additional support for the frame and engine during use, as long as you don't drive it without those brackets. Good luck
Old 02-05-2017, 07:36 AM
jpipx
Instructor

Default All worked out fine...

I placed a support under the engine... just in case. There was no shifting when the brace was removed and I was able to complete the lower control arm bushing replacement with no issues.

Thanks to all for replying!
Old 02-05-2017, 09:53 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

I did the lower control are removal back in 2003. Those to lower inside bolts were a PIA. If I remember correctly, I loosen the spring bolts so I could install that back bolt backwards with the nut near the firewall.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Lower Control arm removal

Quick Reply: Front Lower Control arm removal