C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Analog Oil Temp gauge acting strange

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 01:36 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Analog Oil Temp gauge acting strange

I had some extremely strange problems with my car that I believe I have fixed with a new ECM.

In any case my analog oil temp is still not working properly. The digital one works just fine, so this would lead me to believe that they use seperate sending units. Not unheard of, I know the coolant does, so why wouldn't the oil?

Basically what happens is that the gauge hangs on it's lowest point. I bounces a little bit at idle. While moving it hangs steady at it's lowest point, unless I am turning to the left. When this happens the gauge goes up to where it is supposed to, until I straighten out again. I'd say the sending unit has just died or I've got trouble on the wiring harness somewhere. Where exactly is the sending unit for the analog oil temp? Somebody said it was above the oil filter, does that sound right?

I could have easily burned the wire on the header or something, it's happened, but I just need to know where to look. :cheers:
Old 09-23-2002, 01:05 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Default Re: Analog Oil Temp gauge acting strange (Nathan Plemons)

Anybody?
Old 09-23-2002, 01:46 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On an '87 it is screwed right into the block above the oil filter...don't know if is the same with an LT-1, but that'd be a good place to look.

If its not there, I would assume it would have to share the T-Fitting for the oil pressure.

Sounds like a wiring problem to me, the sender isn't much of a sender as it is just a piece of brass.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:34 PM
BLUE ONE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to here the ECM fixed most of your problems :D The gauge sounds like a wire or sender :confused: Hope you get it sorted soon.

:cheers:
Old 09-23-2002, 02:57 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Default Re: Analog Oil Temp gauge acting strange (BLUE ONE)

Well I e-mailed Jeff Kopp. He'll be able to tell me exactly how many sending units there are and he'll be able to get me any parts I may need.

Get notified of new replies

To Analog Oil Temp gauge acting strange

Quick Reply: Analog Oil Temp gauge acting strange