C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lsx/4+3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 07:09 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

What efi control system you going to use. The Denmah build used the megasquirt system. Post a pictures as your build progresses.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:18 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
What efi control system you going to use. The Denmah build used the megasquirt system. Post a pictures as your build progresses.
my buddy's got hp tuners. Just swapped my PAC 1218 Springs in. Next will be the head studs. Between working five days a week and a 50 mile commute one way I'm already drained by the time I get home. On the bright side(kinda) I'm going through a divorce and this whole build has been helpful in keeping my mind off of it.

Last edited by armybyrd; 03-07-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:56 AM
armybyrd
Drifting

LS7 pilot bearing
Sachs 1050
LUK clutch
A few updates-got both heads torqued down yesterday. This weekend I'll be installing the pilot bearing, flywheel and clutch and then mating it to my tranny to see how many shims the hydraulic tob will need. Soon after I'll be able to get the tranny back in and then the engine. 4+3 beside a th400
C5 brakes

Last edited by armybyrd; 04-01-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:52 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Wow buddy your making progress on the build.

I'm still stabbing parts on mine. I broke my cheap throttle sensor on my ebay special throttle body as I was trying to calibrate it. Its cheaper to just buy another throttle body off ebay than have any luck finding a TPS sensor to fit.

Curious on what your going to use for rad hoses? Power steering? I purchased fancy air raid C5 corvette cold air kit (I like some bling). I have to get another rad, as the fan shroud and the cold want to use the same area.

Sorry to hear about the marriage, all the best buddy. Sweet build.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:33 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Wow buddy your making progress on the build.

I'm still stabbing parts on mine. I broke my cheap throttle sensor on my ebay special throttle body as I was trying to calibrate it. Its cheaper to just buy another throttle body off ebay than have any luck finding a TPS sensor to fit.

Curious on what your going to use for rad hoses? Power steering? I purchased fancy air raid C5 corvette cold air kit (I like some bling). I have to get another rad, as the fan shroud and the cold want to use the same area.

Sorry to hear about the marriage, all the best buddy. Sweet build.

thanks for the input-progress has been slow but I'm hoping to get the the engine in this week and figure the rest out from there. Just changed the filter in my 4+3 so next I'll mess with installing the hydraulic tob. Power steering will be the truck pump but I won't know about the hose routing until the engines in. Thanks again. Doesn't seem like many cf guys are into the lsx/mods.

ive read that a lower radiator hose for a '00 ls1 camaro works as well as an upper for a '96 Cadillac deville w/ v8.

Last edited by armybyrd; 04-02-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:34 PM
knikula
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a truck 5.3 sitting on the garage floor now , trying to get me to swap it into my beat-up '84... I'm watching real close.... keep the build progress coming... thanks much...
Old 04-02-2017, 08:33 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

As of a few minutes ago she's in boys! Lol
a buddy and me were able to drop the engine mated to the tranny in together with the hood on. Took a bunch of pics-this is for all the guys that keep reiterating false information they've heard about not being able to use the truck damper or truck accessories. I mocked the powersteering bracket up and it will definitely clear.

Last edited by armybyrd; 04-03-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:50 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by knikula
I have a truck 5.3 sitting on the garage floor now , trying to get me to swap it into my beat-up '84... I'm watching real close.... keep the build progress coming... thanks much...

Appreciate the input! I think there's like 3 guys who like this swap lol
The following 3 users liked this post by armybyrd:
BV85 (04-04-2017), knikula (04-02-2017), Mike Holmen (04-03-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 09:49 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Make that 4.

No hard feelings on the I/C
Old 04-03-2017, 09:27 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Wow the 5.3L fit in there decent. Gonna be fun sneaking the accessory belt on but it look like it will fit.

I'm using a camaro rad lower hose and part of original corvette and the deville hose. I purchased one of these to join the hoses together, and way to get the head steam overflow back into the system.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/32mm-Car-Wat...3D381980940740

I used an ebay fuel reg kit for as it was a bunch cheaper than what I could find locally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-E...xYH96C&vxp=mtr

Best of luck with the swap, the yellow valve covers looks pretty sweet.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:18 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Might take some massaging for the large case truck alt but it should def work. And after seeing how it looks with the coils off the valve covers I'm definitely doing to relocate them.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:32 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Just wait to you see all the wires and throttle cable Probably the worst thing about doing the swap. Funny thing is once you get everything to work, the electronics/computer tuning are the best reasons for the swap to a LS engine.

How are you going to run the exhaust? Find any places for the turbo to sit yet? I'm going N/A this year, next year going to add forced. I'm really wanting to get back to driving the car again.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:02 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Still have to do my harness but my buddy has done a few and said he can have one down in a couple hours. No cable-going DBW. And yes can't beat technology.
im using truck manifolds with v-bands, pass side will be flipped and forward while the drivers side will be to the rear and under. I'm planning on the turbo being towards the passenger side and exhaust coming out of the pass side fender.

honestly I still can't believe guys are still building gen 1 small blocks. A friend of mine ditched his 383 about a year ago for a cheap 5.3 and is going faster than ever.

Last edited by armybyrd; 04-03-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:35 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

Originally Posted by armybyrd
Appreciate the input! I think there's like 3 guys who like this swap lol

I am a big fan as well.

I am interested in how it goes getting truck accessories into the vette. that looks darn tight on the steering but i guess if it works it works.

i hope that it does work. there are a heap of 5.3's available with all their accessories for super cheap. and lots of 84's for cheap too!

if you can find a way to swap a stock 5.3 truck ls into an 84 u r the man.

maybe this is a good place to use the holley sniper efi as the intake? or are you wanting to use the truck intake?

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 04-05-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:54 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
I am a big fan as well.

I am interested in how it goes getting truck accessories into the vette. that looks darn tight on the steering but i guess if it works it works.

i hope that it does work. there are a heap of 5.3's available with all their accessories for super cheap. and lots of 84's for cheap too!

if you can find a way to swap a stock 5.3 truck ls into an 84 u r the man.

maybe this is a good place to use the holley sniper efi as the intake? or are you wanting to use the truck intake?

if you're asking me I'm using an ls1 Intake-only paid $100 for it.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:54 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I didn't see it mentioned which LS plate/motor mount combo are you using? Seems to make all the difference in where you end up having to make clearance.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:57 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Pics are from joenova on ls1tech. Hopefully he doesn't mind.
Originally Posted by dclafleur
I didn't see it mentioned which LS plate/motor mount combo are you using? Seems to make all the difference in where you end up having to make clearance.

can't remember which vendor I bought mine from on eBay but they're all pretty much the same design-the adapter is bolted to the block and the stock mounts bolted to the adapter plates.

Last edited by armybyrd; 04-05-2017 at 05:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
knikula (04-05-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Lsx/4+3 swap

Old 04-05-2017, 05:07 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by armybyrd
Pics are from joenova on ls1tech. Hopefully he doesn't mind.

can't remember which vendor I bought mine from on eBay but they're all pretty much the same design-the adapter is bolted to the block and the stock mounts bolted to the adapter plates.
Yeah, I'm more just curious forward/backwards offset from stock more than anything else. If/When I swap mine it'll likely be with a T56 backing it (I'm running a T56 now) but as screwy as it seems the dimensions between an LT1 T56 like I have and an LS1 T56 are different I'm just always trying to figure out how many parts I'm going to have to piece together before I get started!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:59 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Its gonna be interesting on how you configure the heater inlet/outlet hoses on the water pump. Mine is very close to the passenger side frame. Not sure on how your will fit armybyrd, you could just pull out the factory tubing and thread in npt fittings.

I purchased molded heater hose. Gonna see what will happen the hoses and if they will stand up.

I pressured up my fuel system the other day, I got to 40psi and my two of my orings on my injectors started too leaking. Not sure if its my cheap skate ebay fuel rail that the issue or I damaged the orings on the injectors.

Last edited by Mike Holmen; 04-06-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 AM
slow-vette
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I love this swap. Now you have me rethinking rebuilding my L98. Altho I would likely stat N/A and want to keep my 700R4 to keep costs down. I'm sure that would put me in cable hell. I'm keeping a close eye on this build. It's good to know there are a few guys out there that might be able to support if someone takes on a project like this.

Quick Reply: Lsx/4+3 swap