C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lsx/4+3 swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 12:20 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by slow-vette
I love this swap. Now you have me rethinking rebuilding my L98. Altho I would likely stat N/A and want to keep my 700R4 to keep costs down. I'm sure that would put me in cable hell. I'm keeping a close eye on this build. It's good to know there are a few guys out there that might be able to support if someone takes on a project like this.
It's pretty cool that some parts have become commodity such as the mounting plates and accessory drives. I wish there were options for aftermarket C-Beams with different trans mounts like you have with transmission crossmembers on other cars but I also understand that it's a limited market even further limited by the different transmission lengths and differentials used in the C4.. Makes it difficult to make a one size fits all piece.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:08 PM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

The C beam is easy fix, I just cut mine in half and welded in an extension chunk. If you don't have a tig welder, you could make one out of steel, of course a thinner gauge of steel would be required.

I'm using the 700R in my 2005 LQ9 swap. The bell housing bolts up fine. I'm also reusing the LQ9 flex plate with no adapter. I had to use my die grind for the factory torque converter to bolt up.

My LQ9 is sitting forward of where the L98 was originally. You also have to get a new drive shaft made as I had to move the transmission.

I'm using an 04 corvette power steering supply hose, it fit in there pretty good and its cheaper than making a custom hose.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:51 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by slow-vette
I love this swap. Now you have me rethinking rebuilding my L98. Altho I would likely stat N/A and want to keep my 700R4 to keep costs down. I'm sure that would put me in cable hell. I'm keeping a close eye on this build. It's good to know there are a few guys out there that might be able to support if someone takes on a project like this.
cable hell?
i wouldn't waste the $ building a gen I. Before this a built a 355 for my thirdgen and also did a vortec 350 swap. What a waste of effort and $ when you can pick up lsx engines on the cheap and they're already a millions times better/more efficient.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:56 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Had to pull it out to I can put my oil drain in the pan plus I forgot my inspection plate anyways. What a pain-had to do it by myself so I separated them. It's going back in together from now on.

Last edited by armybyrd; 04-07-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:43 AM
armybyrd
Drifting

anyone have experience doing the harness for a c4? I've decided I'd like to do this myself since I'm tired of relying on others plus it'll save a good chunk of $.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:45 AM
armybyrd
Drifting

Drain fitting is in but there's always setbacks. I had 3 broken exhaust studs but was only able to get 2 out. I ended up getting a spare head for cheap so I'm just
Gonna swap it. Should have the engine/tranny back in this weekend though. From there I'll install my accessories and have my exhaust done.

Last edited by armybyrd; 04-14-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:07 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by armybyrd
anyone have experience doing the harness for a c4? I've decided I'd like to do this myself since I'm tired of relying on others plus it'll save a good chunk of $.
Ch@os did his own wire harness if I remember correctly. I think he might have taken an f-body harness and trimmed it to work, I'd have to search to find out.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:00 AM
armybyrd
Drifting

Small update-my buddy who was going to do the harness and hotside bailed on me so I started on the wiring myself. I spent a few hours yesterday removing all the wires not needed from my blue/green pcm harness and I am just about done labeling everything. I've been using lt1swap.com for the pin layouts. Of the few guys who've done C4 lsx swaps did anyone do their own harness? So far its been pretty simple-just tedious and I'm wondering at what point does it get complicated or if it even does. Also I haven't touched my C4's harness yet and I still need to know what wires will be needed (I am keeping the digi dash).
Old 04-17-2017, 10:03 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

i would like to help out but havnt done it yet.

ill have a look on the net over breakfast and see if i can find anything
Old 04-17-2017, 11:19 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Bill, ZFDoc did this engine swap, mated to a ZF6, but I didn't ask details. He has an adapter plate for the ZF. I may have this project in my future, too.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:54 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Are these guys still around? Seems like most end up buying an aftermarket harness. I've already got a relay/fuse kit from BP automotive that's made for this swap and it'll definitely help clean up all the wiring.
Old 04-17-2017, 02:44 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Are these guys still around? Seems like most end up buying an aftermarket harness. I've already got a relay/fuse kit from BP automotive that's made for this swap and it'll definitely help clean up all the wiring.
This is about where Ch@os gets into the wiring details of what he did.
he starts talking about the wiring around post 186 I think he used an f-body harness and spliced it to his c4 harness.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...my-swap-3.html
The following users liked this post:
armybyrd (04-18-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 04:08 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Borrowed from Ch@os:

L98 ECM To LS1 PCM

C6 TPI PCM ground-----------------------------B1,B10,R1,R40 LS1 PCM ground

A3 secondary cooling fan DK blue/white ---------R33 cooling fan 2 relay

A9 primary cooling fan Lt blu/blk-----------------B42 cooling fan 1 relay

D7 fuel pump realy drive green/white-----------R9 Fuel pump relay control

B3 diagnostic test terminal White/blk-------------B58 class 2 serial (unpinned from TPI ALDL to LS ALDL)

B5,B11 serial data Tan---------------------------B14 ?UART 800 bus serial? (this may not work)

B6 VATTS DK/Blue -----------------------------R30 Fuel enable

B8 PPM CCM radio DK Grn/white------------------R50 Vehicle speed output

B10 12 V Ignition feed PNK/BLK-------------------B19 ignition pos volt

C1,B17 constant 12V ORG -----------------------B20,B57 constant 12V to PCM

D11 Neutral Safety Switch ORG/BlK---------------B34 PNP switch signal

Purple wire from brake switch--------------------B33 TCC brake switch

B1 black/white SES light -------------------------R46 Malfunction Indicator Lamp

White wire that went to Tach filter-----------------R10 Tach

Save INJ1 and INJ2 from TPI and connect to Pink wires on LS harness Coil/Injector drives 1 and 2

From Ch@o's thread this appears to be the only wires from the stock C4 that need to be spliced into the LSx harness?

Last edited by armybyrd; 04-17-2017 at 04:09 PM.
dclafleur (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:49 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Ya the wiring is a pain in the butt. I have yet to fire my car yet.

I spent yesterday fabbing up a 3in exhaust for my car. I probably have around $120 into the build. I had a bunch of 3in elbows/bend and exhaust piping laying around from previous builds.

3in is probably over kill for the car.

My fuel system is very leaky I hate cheap skate over seas fittings.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:31 AM
rdchaplin
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What application is the LUK clutch kit you are using? Prat numbers? I am starting the same swap on my 85, I have a 2003 6.0 and going to use the 4+3 DNE trans. Do you know what starter motor is needed for this application?
Thanks and good luick.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:44 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

Just gotta add a spacer and turnbuckle but the hood my large case alt.

Originally Posted by rdchaplin
What application is the LUK clutch kit you are using? Prat numbers? I am starting the same swap on my 85, I have a 2003 6.0 and going to use the 4+3 DNE trans. Do you know what starter motor is needed for this application?
Thanks and good luick.
I'll look up the pn when I get home this evening. What stage of the swap are you in?
about halfway through with my harness and need to bolt my c-beam in. Also decided to use electric power steering and finally have my alternator mounted.
as for the starter I've read they're interchangeable and also otherwise so I'm just going to wait till I'm about done and pick one up at a local parts store in case I need to exchange it.

Last edited by armybyrd; 05-11-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:27 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

I'll look up the pn when I get home this evening. What stage of the swap are you in?
about halfway through with my harness and need to bolt my c-beam in. Also decided to use electric power steering and finally have my alternator mounted.
as for the starter I've read they're interchangeable and also otherwise so I'm just going to wait till I'm about done and pick one up at a local parts store in case I need to exchange it.
What type of power steering pump are you using for the electric power steering? Are you running it to a cooler?

Get notified of new replies

To Lsx/4+3 swap

Old 05-11-2017, 05:15 PM
armybyrd
Drifting

This is what I'm planning on for my alt-obviously still needs spacers. Anyone see any issues with this?

Not much progress made lately-need a hand getting my c-beam bolts in and at a stand still with my harness.
How does the C4 harness come out near the battery? I've got the half that goes through the firewall out and have undone the nuts near the rest but it's a big gooey mess and I'm still trying to get it all out. Also I'm not 100% on how to go about merging the harnesses as far as what exactly is needed from the stock C4 harness. Seems like most are just buying aftermarket harnesses but I've got a truck harness stripped down and labeled.

Last edited by armybyrd; 05-14-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:44 AM
armybyrd
Drifting

Originally Posted by dclafleur
What type of power steering pump are you using for the electric power steering? Are you running it to a cooler?

planning on an mr2 electric power steering pump.
knikula (05-14-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 11:23 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

I fired up my LQ9 yesterday, wow that engine sounds awesome. The 3in exhaust sounds great.

What a long journey to get to that point. Just waiting on a few pieces, and see what I can break.

Its gonna be awesome to see what your set-up looks like with the turbo installed.

Quick Reply: Lsx/4+3 swap