C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Repowering an 84 Crossfire

Old 02-20-2017, 12:34 PM
mrfeeney
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Repowering an 84 Crossfire

Decided to repower my stock 84, since it has close to 100k I'm building a new motor and will make the swap when complete. Its all a piece at a time, so if anyone has any input they would like to share please do.

I purchased a used motor that reportedly had three passes on it in a mud racer, insides are clean and crosshatch in the cylinders clearly visible, had 76cc smogger heads so I am replacing those.

Here is what I have so far to work with

4 bolt main bored .060
Mahle flat top pistons (10.6-1 with 64cc heads)
Iron Eagle 6" H rods
Have not ID'd the crank yet but its not stock
Have not ID'd the oil pump (suspect its hi volume)
Comp Cams 12-210-2 cam (if I decide to run it)
HEI ignition

Purchased so far:

Ham Board for EBL ECM (ECM not purchased yet)
Dart 64cc heads with 180cc runners (P/N 10121112)

On the list:

Renegade Intake
Roller Rockers
Long tube headers
EBL ECM
Rebuild 700R (High stall converter if camshaft replacement warrants)
Possible different cam and lifters
Hardened pushrods (Required for the Dart heads)
Old 02-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

Sounds like fun, i did something like that with mine, but i left the bottom end alone, upgraded heads, renegade intake, camshaft, roller rockers, long tube headers, exhaust system, and ebl flasg ecm.
blew my trans shortly after, now the trans should be totally bullet proof as it sits.

For converter, i had a 2400rpm stall before the pump blew up on me.
I liked it, but when i replaced the pump (sprung for the billet rotor this time around), i went for a 9.5in converter with a 3200rpm stall.

i have had it out maybe 3 times so far, still breaking it in...
I love the difference, car revs faster, and the rpm also lowers quicker (for times when i bump the throttle).

And i can get the tires screeching on que, requires me to hold back to prevent it...

Granted, my tires suck a little...

i also found 84 brakes are very lacking, especially on the freeway when everyone comes to a sudden stop, i did a C5 brake conversion that also required larger wheels, so i have C5 wheels as well.
​​
here is a run i did yesterday, I'm breaking in the converter, and pump so I'm taking it easy.
​​​​
https://youtu.be/_raQmpL1UE0

Sound comes from a melrose exhaust system with a second xpipe, and flowmaster 40's.
​​​​
​​​
Old 02-20-2017, 01:58 PM
mrfeeney
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gibbles
Sounds like fun, i did something like that with mine, but i left the bottom end alone, upgraded heads, renegade intake, camshaft, roller rockers, long tube headers, exhaust system, and ebl flasg ecm.
blew my trans shortly after, now the trans should be totally bullet proof as it sits.

For converter, i had a 2400rpm stall before the pump blew up on me.
I liked it, but when i replaced the pump (sprung for the billet rotor this time around), i went for a 9.5in converter with a 3200rpm stall.

i have had it out maybe 3 times so far, still breaking it in...
I love the difference, car revs faster, and the rpm also lowers quicker (for times when i bump the throttle).

And i can get the tires screeching on que, requires me to hold back to prevent it...

Granted, my tires suck a little...

i also found 84 brakes are very lacking, especially on the freeway when everyone comes to a sudden stop, i did a C5 brake conversion that also required larger wheels, so i have C5 wheels as well.
​​
here is a run i did yesterday, I'm breaking in the converter, and pump so I'm taking it easy.
​​​​
https://youtu.be/_raQmpL1UE0

Sound comes from a melrose exhaust system with a second xpipe, and flowmaster 40's.
​​​​
​​​
I think I found the right you tube video ( the link didn't work) sounds healthy!!!
The following users liked this post:
Gibbles (02-25-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 08:15 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

If you can go 383 the reward is great and not that expensive.

I did with a carb. Very quick and reliable.. lower cost.

If I was to do it again I would go with a GM crate 383 -base and upgrade the cam.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 997 Likes on 686 Posts

So, if it were me, I would go with a stroker of your choice of course. A 360 would be OK, but I wouldn't use that cam since it's a flat tappet. I would at least go with a roller that is comparable if you like that HE cam or something a little bigger like a XFI268 or custom grind. No sense having to worry about flatting a cam when you can go roller with a retro kit.

I would be interested in how it turns out when done of course, if you stay with what you are planning. Get ready to go to the Dark Side...on tuning.

If you do decide to go stroker, the 180 heads will work OK, but 195s would be a better choice IMO.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:40 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfeeney
Decided to repower my stock 84, since it has close to 100k
Wow. My '96 Silverado has 295,XXX miles on it and still runs like new. 100k? Just barely broken in!

But a new motor could potentially be a lot more fun. I agree with the others about the stroker/more cubes. You could start with a used L31 "vortec" truck block and get your 4-bolt block, plus "free" roller lifters, and one piece rear main seal.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:48 PM
qws
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Throwing it out there. Take advantage of ebl/flash and get the $25 port mod put in. Your intakes will be limitless. No change to existing wiring. I've got a thread here and another site with tons of pics . Documented start to finish. I've run a 388 with stealth ram for the past 4 years.Plenty of ponies to have fun with

Last edited by qws; 02-25-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Thats far from a racer cam (or engine) but that grind actually runs good on the street. Its mild with a slight touch of rump but makes decent torque- if its that new keep your lifters in order and run it

Ramps and lift arent crazy should last just fine its the new overseas garbage cores and extreme ramp stuff that blows imo.
. For small cams I wouldnt hesitate to run an older grind

How is he coming up with 10.6 with flat tops bet its much less, 64cc will pick things up though. if you want I can pm you the name of someone with some not too used up E street Eddy heads in the C3 section not a bad deal.

keep us posted
Old 02-27-2017, 12:32 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 116 Likes on 107 Posts

Start saving for a replacement for the D36 rear, too.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:26 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

To help you on your way...

Renegade intake, edlebrock heads, 80lb injectors, headers, flow master 40s, eblflash, and a mild cam.

I did not have it floored, and i need more fueling still...
Old 02-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...

To help you on your way...
https://youtu.be/EYOFnNe4tEM

Renegade intake, edlebrock heads, 80lb injectors, headers, flow master 40s, eblflash, and a mild cam.

I did not have it floored, and i need more fueling still...
More fueling? Higher pressure or more flow? Sounds nice...Nail IT!
Old 02-27-2017, 08:36 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
More fueling? Higher pressure or more flow? Sounds nice...Nail IT!
Thanks!
​​​​​​​And yeah, i need to boost the fuel pressure, i also have an areomotive vfpr to be installed.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:47 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Thanks!
​​​​​​​And yeah, i need to boost the fuel pressure, i also have an areomotive vfpr to be installed.
What motor, injectors and what pressure are you running now? Just curious.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:56 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

What motor, injectors and what pressure are you running now? Just curious.
Bone stock motor, has a little over 100k and good condition, i just replaced all of the top end stuff.

Injectors are stock from a 454, 80lb TJ11 i thinj... (I can verify in my amazon history).
pressure right now is @ 12psi

​​​​​​​I need to bump it to 14
Old 02-28-2017, 10:45 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Tom400cfi Buccaneer and a few others really really got making a CFI run down to a tee stick around

Used to be a guy here Alcee 1 that had one ported his cfi had an old 2030 Crane Eddy heads headers 3.45 gear and a 2600 stall
Really surprised how quick that car was.

Something about the 80s era vettes idk what it is
the idle and when you lug them reminds me of a cross between a boat and a wounded cow moaning always makes me they are tons of fun though.

Can be fun seeing what you can get out of basic stuff sometimes torque isnt expensive most times, rpm and hp is.
If you havent got an oil pump skip the HV free up a few ponies, stock volume with high pressure (pink) spring just a thought

You can get a cast steel stroker crank for peanuts these days.

Last edited by cv67; 02-28-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:58 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Tom400cfi Buccaneer and a few others really really got making a CFI run down to a tee stick around

Used to be a guy here Alcee 1 that had one ported his cfi had an old 2030 Crane Eddy heads headers 3.45 gear and a 2600 stall
Really surprised how quick that car was.

Something about the 80s era vettes idk what it is
the idle and when you lug them reminds me of a cross between a boat and a wounded cow moaning always makes me they are tons of fun though.

Can be fun seeing what you can get out of basic stuff sometimes torque isnt expensive most times, rpm and hp is.
If you havent got an oil pump skip the HV free up a few ponies, stock volume with high pressure (pink) spring just a thought

You can get a cast steel stroker crank for peanuts these days.
Thank you sir, I appreciate it.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Gibbles
Drifting

Thank you sir, I appreciate it.
​​​​​​​Made it nice for me, i just had to fillow in the footsteps already layed out.

Get notified of new replies

To Repowering an 84 Crossfire

Old 03-03-2017, 03:41 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

These videos always get me to wondering what the 1/4 mile numbers are.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:50 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

One thing i'll say about the change, i have to really hold back during take off or i will screech my tires.

Yesterday i hit the pedal to hard a few times, first time i left two black marks while trying to get around a bus, saw the marks in my rear view mirror, whoops!
second time, turning left i tap the peday and i get a "screeeeech", i back off quick, try again with less pedal and i get a shorter "screech" and i take off.

Lol
Both in areas with lots of traffic, and a high likelihood of getting a very expensive ticket.

​​​​​​​I need to buy better tires... (Or do i?! )

Last edited by Gibbles; 03-03-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:24 AM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

One thing i'll say about the change, i have to really hold back during take off or i will screech my tires.

Yesterday i hit the pedal to hard a few times, first time i left two black marks while trying to get around a bus, saw the marks in my rear view mirror, whoops!
second time, turning left i tap the peday and i get a "screeeeech", i back off quick, try again with less pedal and i get a shorter "screech" and i take off.

Lol
Both in areas with lots of traffic, and a high likelihood of getting a very expensive ticket.

​​​​​​​I need to buy better tires... (Or do i?! )
better tires

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Repowering an 84 Crossfire