C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 03:28 AM
CologneCruiser
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for your help!

The clips that could be missing are the ones marked here in green

or the ones described here

http://home.earthlink.net/~olylt1/An...tle_clips.html

Those clips are not present. Maybe this is the reason für the "rattle" noise.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:37 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I can’t go check at the moment because I am 800mi from my car, but I’m pretty sure I don’t have those clips installed. My calipers don’t move around like yours. They won’t hurt anything, but I think the lack of those clips is not the fundamental cause of your problem.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:05 AM
CologneCruiser
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem solved, many thanks to MatthewMiller!

I ordered the replacement kit including two pins, washers and E-clips and the four anti-rattle-clips and rubber inserts. Just as above. The clips were simply missing. This was the reason why everything did rattle around. So I inserted the rubber into the clip, mounted the clip on the brake pad, inserted the pad into the caliper and mounted all this. Now the pin required a gentle ammount of force to go into the caliper, now NOTHING die rattle around.

You can check if the clips are present even without removing the wheel. It should look like this http://home.earthlink.net/~olylt1/An...tle_clips.html
Old 07-08-2018, 05:12 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by CologneCruiser
Problem solved, many thanks to MatthewMiller!

I ordered the replacement kit including two pins, washers and E-clips and the four anti-rattle-clips and rubber inserts. Just as above. The clips were simply missing. This was the reason why everything did rattle around. So I inserted the rubber into the clip, mounted the clip on the brake pad, inserted the pad into the caliper and mounted all this. Now the pin required a gentle ammount of force to go into the caliper, now NOTHING die rattle around.

You can check if the clips are present even without removing the wheel. It should look like this http://home.earthlink.net/~olylt1/An...tle_clips.html
Thanks to me or in spite of me?! I'm now back home and see that I do indeed have those clips on my calipers. You are right that the pins should require a bit of force to go in, so obviously the clips are important. I'm glad you solved it!

Quick Reply: Brake question