C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Deceleration, car bogs down...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 11:35 PM
7even
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Deceleration, car bogs down...

1987 Coupe auto and a new issue just cropped up tonight.

When I decelerate, when taking my foot off the accelerator, the engine bogs down, and then comes back up again. No other noises or rattles, just the engine bogging down momentarily and then coming back.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:39 AM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 7even
1987 Coupe auto and a new issue just cropped up tonight.

When I decelerate, when taking my foot off the accelerator, the engine bogs down, and then comes back up again. No other noises or rattles, just the engine bogging down momentarily and then coming back.
If it's an auto, that's engine braking. The torque converter clutch is engaged when you take your foot off the gas and disengages at 20-30 mph or so.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:22 AM
7even
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tod Stiles
If it's an auto, that's engine braking. The torque converter clutch is engaged when you take your foot off the gas and disengages at 20-30 mph or so.
The reason that I asked is because it just started doing this. In the 12 days prior, there was no such bogging down and now, it's really quite noticeable.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Assuming you haven't changed any of the ECM calibrations, you should check your TPS and IAC. The ECM is programmed to use the IAC to give the engine a "soft" landing when the car is rolling and the throttle is returned to idle with the engine disengaged from the drivetrain. It uses the TPS to tell when the throttle has returned to zero, and the VSS to tell that the car is still rolling. The IAC is what actually manages the idle speed. I am assuming your speedometer is working fine because you didn't mention it, but if it isn't and the VSS is the cause then that will cause this kind of problem.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:36 AM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 255 Likes on 213 Posts

If the load falls low enough, you can enter DFCO (decel fuel cut off). This will feel like a 2nd stage of engine braking on coast down.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:41 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by tequilaboy
If the load falls low enough, you can enter DFCO (decel fuel cut off). This will feel like a 2nd stage of engine braking on coast down.

Get notified of new replies

To Deceleration, car bogs down...

Quick Reply: Deceleration, car bogs down...