C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Fuel Pressure Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 11:02 PM
slhawkins
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Fuel Pressure Problems

I've got a 1987 Corvette that has some cold start problems. It takes a solid 5 seconds or so before it'll start up. To diagnose this, I started looking at the fuel system (just replaced injectors). When I pressurize the system, it quickly rises to 40 psi and then drops to 20 psi within a few seconds. It'll hit 0 psi with 30-45 seconds after that. I clamped the return line, then the supply line, and then both lines - the pressure drops in the same fashion each time. Finally I took the top end apart so I could test the injectors. Since I have some Bosch 3's (no retaining clips), I lifted the fuel rail up, placed some thin lint free clothes under each injector, and then put the rail back on. I did pressurized the system twice, then took it off and didn't see a single went spot. For fun I did it a second time with some new cloth, still nothing.

I've pressurized the system a solid 40+ times tonight and figured if I was leaking somewhere else I would be able to see it on the floor, but I'm not seeing (or really smelling) any gas.

Any thoughts? I'm at a loss. :-(

*I've driven it for about 500 miles since putting the injectors in. For what it's worth, I don't smell any gas in the oil.

Nevermind! The new gauge I got has a longer hose and I was able to watch it as I clamped/released the flex hose at the tank. The fuel pressure is definitely slower while the supply line is clamped and drops immediately when I release the clamp. I must have just not been clamping it down enough to stop the flow entirely.

Last edited by slhawkins; 03-01-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:25 AM
haxxx
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I went through this with my '96 and you are basically where I was. It's time to pull the fuel pump. Luckily on these cars its very easy. My problem was that someone eliminated the fuel pulsator between the fuel pump and sender line and didn't clamp it down. It was dumping the fuel back into the tank, which is why I couldn't find a leak. For you it could be the pulsator, possibly the fuel pump. I ended up replacing my fuel pump while I was in there and a new strainer sock, which I would recommend doing. I used the Delphi replacement pump, clamped the new hose down tight and my PSI is right at 40.
The following users liked this post:
slhawkins (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 10:06 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Replaced the injectors with what? Did you also have the cold start valve cleaned and tested? Those are often overlooked.

My under, which is standing is that you lose fuel pressure in spite of the clamping of the return line? IF so lets go backwards. Assuming the injectors are good, is the diaphragm leaking and good? This is a 2 man job. Pressurize it and clamp on the return line. Before it drops, clam off the feed line. If it still leaks, you have a problem in the regulator.

If not, are you sure that the dampner is in good shape? I'd replace it with fuel hose rated for submersion.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:34 PM
slhawkins
Instructor

Originally Posted by aklim
Replaced the injectors with what? Did you also have the cold start valve cleaned and tested? Those are often overlooked.

My under, which is standing is that you lose fuel pressure in spite of the clamping of the return line? IF so lets go backwards. Assuming the injectors are good, is the diaphragm leaking and good? This is a 2 man job. Pressurize it and clamp on the return line. Before it drops, clam off the feed line. If it still leaks, you have a problem in the regulator.

If not, are you sure that the dampner is in good shape? I'd replace it with fuel hose rated for submersion.
Injectors were replaced with Bosch 3's from Jon. I read about some people from the frozen North removing their cold start valve so I went ahead and did the same since mine was leaking - I'll be moving to San Diego in a few short months. :-) It's now blocked off at the rail and runner.

I updated the original post, I redid the clamp down test of both lines and found that a clamped down supply line would slow down the loss in pressure considerably. So it looks like it's either the fuel pump or pulsator. New parts come in on Saturday.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:40 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by slhawkins
Injectors were replaced with Bosch 3's from Jon. I read about some people from the frozen North removing their cold start valve so I went ahead and did the same since mine was leaking - I'll be moving to San Diego in a few short months. :-) It's now blocked off at the rail and runner.

I updated the original post, I redid the clamp down test of both lines and found that a clamped down supply line would slow down the loss in pressure considerably. So it looks like it's either the fuel pump or pulsator. New parts come in on Saturday.
Once you remove the cold start injector you need to program a new chip that adds in the additional cranking fuel with the injectors. Since you live in WI this is required and most likely is one or all of the reasons the car takes 5 seconds to start when it is cold.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:58 PM
slhawkins
Instructor

Originally Posted by bjankuski
Once you remove the cold start injector you need to program a new chip that adds in the additional cranking fuel with the injectors. Since you live in WI this is required and most likely is one or all of the reasons the car takes 5 seconds to start when it is cold.
Will it be fine in 60 degree weather? It sits in the garage otherwise.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:02 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Will it be fine in 60 degree weather? It sits in the garage otherwise.
I do not know, you will have to try it and find out. If it still starts poorly have a new chip burned. You could try a stock chip out a 1989 and see if it starts better, those cars were designed without the cold start injector and added in the additional fuel through the fuel injectors.
The following users liked this post:
slhawkins (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 02:34 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Why exactly did they say was the reason to remove it? It is to help enrichment during cold starts. Gives the extra spray of fuel to enrich the mixture. You take it out and the ECM doesn't know that. It will ASSUME that the valve is there and will not spray as much fuel as needed by increasing the pulse width during injector fire. I really suspect that is what happened.

Not sure how to fix that issue short of a reprogrammed chip.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:46 PM
slhawkins
Instructor

For those that I read, it was due to it leaking and they were wondering whether they actually needed it (same thing I was wondering!).

Looking back, I agree that the hard start was likely caused by the lack of the 9th injector. I am glad to have found out about the fuel pressure though, in theory the new pump will fix that.

And thanks to you guys, a shipment from Moates will be on its way today so I can program a chip for it. :-) One way or another, this will be fixed and I'll feel better about putting the wife's car up for sale!
Old 03-02-2017, 02:51 PM
aklim
Team Owner

For those that I read, it was due to it leaking and they were wondering whether they actually needed it (same thing I was wondering!).

Looking back, I agree that the hard start was likely caused by the lack of the 9th injector. I am glad to have found out about the fuel pressure though, in theory the new pump will fix that.
Those were some brilliant brain surgeons, for sure. It leaks, get rid of it. Don't bother to fix it or send it out to be fixed. Get rid of it. Don't know what it does? No matter.

Not sure how it will. What exactly is wrong with the fuel pressure now? If the leak is at the tank area, you should get the kit from Racetronix that has all the necessary hardware to replace the hose. Or just a new pump with the kit

Last edited by aklim; 03-02-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:15 PM
slhawkins
Instructor

Those were some brilliant brain surgeons, for sure. It leaks, get rid of it. Don't bother to fix it or send it out to be fixed. Get rid of it. Don't know what it does? No matter.
Haha, I knew what it did but I didn't plan on staying in Wisconsin forever. We came up here just long enough to make the wife realize it was a bad idea, and now we're going back to the warm weather. ;-)

Not sure how it will. What exactly is wrong with the fuel pressure now? If the leak is at the tank area, you should get the kit from Racetronix that has all the necessary hardware to replace the hose. Or just a new pump with the kit
It's leaking back to the tank. I only discovered it because I was diagnosing the cold start issue (which we agree is a lack of a cold start injector). Now that I know it's there, it'll be fixed. I have a Racetronix FPA-011 kit coming in to replace the original pump.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pressure Problems

Quick Reply: Fuel Pressure Problems