C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What Shifter/Tranny Do I have? STIFF SPRINGS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 09:34 AM
wilnutt
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Shifter/Tranny Do I have? STIFF SPRINGS!

Hello,
New member here. I just bought an '87 and was told it was upgraded with a TKO 5-speed. I've since dug in and it looks like it was a Keisler Perfect Fit TKO. I'm not sure if it's a 500 or 600. Any sure fire way to tell?

Also, the shifter is ridiculously stiff from side to side, my wife can't even move the shifter. Any thoughts here? I'm thinking maybe it's the spring(s)? I've done digging but can't find anything as it's not your average shifter (In pics). It's the Blue one built by Keisler and isn't your standard Red Tremec shifter, which you can open up the sides and pull out the springs. Anyone ever deal with one of these before?
Attached Images    
Old 03-02-2017, 04:55 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,262 Likes on 2,025 Posts

The only "sure fire" confirmation if the car were here and driveable would be to do the RPM/MPH comparisons. That eliminates all doubt!! You of course need to now that the ODO/SPEEDO is correct as it is for starters. If you did a GPS confirmation of the ODO/SPEEDO and confirmed it's correct - the check is simple - very straight forward. If it's not correct "as is" it's more difficult for sure!! If you were told 500 and you were familiar with, I believe you could "seat of the pants" confirm with 1st gear.

I believe TREMAC actually has a iOS/Android app that might help once you knew all of the appropriate information. It's NOT what would be used here and I've never seen it. We'd use a comparator that you could actually calculate RPM drop ratio to ratio (1 - 2, 2 - 3 etc.).

http://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=154

The shifter situation you mention I've absolutely no idea.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 03-02-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:16 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I went through the 'what tranny is this' when I bought mine. I got under the car and started taking pictures, writing down any and all numbers found, checked the bell housing etc. I would specifically look at the shifter lever and bell housing, driveshaft yoke etc for markings.

I took my findings to Tremec and found I had a TR3550 5 speed tranny built in 2008. Couldn't tell me where it went from there but they did provide a lot of maintenance and parts diagram docs on it for me. Mine also has a Hurst shifter on it.

Maybe check here: https://shiftsst.com/
I think they bought everything when Keisler went bankrupt.

Good luck.

Last edited by hcbph; 03-02-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:37 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Try C3 tech those co's post a lot and can help
Short throw shifters it will feel stiffer usually
Have a B and Mon a T56 same way (too stiff and notchy Hurst is superior)
Sure they can solve the issue. Longer handle=more leverage

Nice upgrade you have though decent trans

Last edited by cv67; 03-03-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What Shifter/Tranny Do I have? STIFF SPRINGS!

Quick Reply: What Shifter/Tranny Do I have? STIFF SPRINGS!