C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake booster

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 01:13 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Brake booster

I just replaced my brake booster on my 89. Had a plastic one crack for the second time. I bought the metal replacement booster made by centric. Well the booster fit fine somewhat. Had to unbolt the brace that's attached to the frame and by the hood latch to get the new booster on. And also apparently the plunger that actuates the master cylinder was getting stuck inside the master cylinder causing my brakes to stick. Plunger was getting stuck to the snap ring on the master cylinder. Well really needed the this thing to work so I took the plunger and ground it down a little bit around it. Well it seems to work fine but I noticed after going high speed my pedal is hard. The booster didn't come with a check valve so I had to buy one which is the cheap dorman one.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

I would contact seller and tell them what's going on.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:10 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

KIT - Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what's going on. I might have taken some of the same actions myself. But it seems like the part is not up to par and not getting a check valve is pretty customary. I might look for a exchange or a refund.

Google the supplier or manufacturer and see what comes up for reviews. I might also call the supplier or both if you can.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:51 AM
kitttransam
Racer

Yeah this booster ain't working out. I'm getting the metal replacement through zip corvette.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Bodageta1995
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I got a metal one but the check valve location isn't in the same as the original plastic booster. It's bothering me. I had to run a generic off the shelf hose and it's hard not to have the check valve kink. Do you have the check valve hole in a different location on the metal one too? It was on the upper INBD side originally with the plastic and now it's on the upper OUTBD.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:45 PM
kitttransam
Racer

Yeah the booster that's giving me issues has the check valve in the same location. I'd rather have the check valve in a different spot instead of the other problems I got.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake booster

Quick Reply: Brake booster