C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question regarding gasoline...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:29 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Question regarding gasoline...

Okay, I'm trying to get all my questions out there, so I can make some more progress tomorrow. I've just replaced my injectors. Here in FL, I can get "real" gas across the street, and have been using that. The car has sat since last November, with the same gas in it...probably not much. ..one to five gallons in it. Am I okay to start it up with the new injectors, or should I drain it and start fresh? I hate taking the fuel pump etc. out...done it more times than I can count, but will if I have to. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:46 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

I think you'll be OK. I'd probably add 5 gals of fresh gas first.
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 10:49 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

That's exactly what I was planning to do. I think there's probably less than a gallon in it, but not sure. It's a pain making a new gasket for that fuel pump thingy all the time...Thanks!
Old 03-13-2017, 10:51 PM
hemivett
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You should be fine. If you have concerns, dump 5 gallons of good gas in it, with an ounce of Stabil. Ive had cars sit for as much as 6 months with no additive, and fire right up. I do try to keep a little Stabil in the Vettes at all times, just to protect my investment. h
racerseks (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 10:54 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hemivett
You should be fine. If you have concerns, dump 5 gallons of good gas in it, with an ounce of Stabil. Ive had cars sit for as much as 6 months with no additive, and fire right up. I do try to keep a little Stabil in the Vettes at all times, just to protect my investment. h
Sounds good! My girlfriend buys me some of that as a stocking stuffer every year, 'cause my cars sits so much. Wish I'd put some in, but didn't know it was gonna sit as long as it has...plus, it's hard to ration in 1 gallon increments all the time. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 12:17 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by hemivett
with an ounce of Stabil.
How does that work? I thought Stabil stabilizes the gas? If so, why are you trying to stabilize it AFTER all is said and done and the gas is stale?

I wouldn't bother with that. Just run it till it is empty and fill tank and be happy.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:10 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I've had gas sit in my boat for over a year with no additives, and it starts and runs just fine! You do keep a gas cap on it, don't you? Don't worry so much about it. Just drive it!

racerseks (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 01:24 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
I've had gas sit in my boat for over a year with no additives, and it starts and runs just fine! You do keep a gas cap on it, don't you? Don't worry so much about it. Just drive it!

Yes,. I have a cap on it. Thanks...I remember looking into this a few years ago when my car sat a long time. A lot from both sides out there. I don't think it's been long enough myself, but wanted to be safe with the new injectors and all. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2017, 01:35 AM
Fiberbundle
Burning Brakes

Received 340 Likes on 263 Posts

The issue is the alcohol in the gas at the pumps that we are forced to buy. Alcohol molecules will combine with water formed in the tank from condensation since most of us do not have the luxury of being able to store our cars in a climate stable garage Then the alcohol/water mixture corrodes metal components hence the need for Stabil. It does however take a long time for gas to go "stale". If you are willing to pay the price and have access to aviation gas, it has no alcohol, high octane, and will last years without going "stale".
racerseks (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 05:25 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fiberbundle
The issue is the alcohol in the gas at the pumps that we are forced to buy. Alcohol molecules will combine with water formed in the tank from condensation since most of us do not have the luxury of being able to store our cars in a climate stable garage Then the alcohol/water mixture corrodes metal components hence the need for Stabil. It does however take a long time for gas to go "stale". If you are willing to pay the price and have access to aviation gas, it has no alcohol, high octane, and will last years without going "stale".
Well, I live close to the Navy base down over here, so that could be...ha ha. But pretty happy with the "real" gas I get across the street. Thanks for your explanation!
Old 03-14-2017, 06:23 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by racerseks
Here in FL, I can get "real" gas across the street, and have been using that.
By 'real gas' do you mean non-oxygenated gas? If so that is typically non-alcohol added fuel, gas like we used to get without the lead in it.
That's what I use when prepping my car for winter storage, that and a can of Stabil.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:28 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hcbph
By 'real gas' do you mean non-oxygenated gas? If so that is typically non-alcohol added fuel, gas like we used to get without the lead in it.
That's what I use when prepping my car for winter storage, that and a can of Stabil.
Well, I'm not all that well versed in what's out there these days, as I've always driven older cars...but the stuff I'm using is "ethanol free". Is that the same thing? Thanks...
Old 03-14-2017, 08:04 AM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 'Real Gas'

I certainly hope that they do away with this 10% Alcohol enhanced gasoline, my car will appreciate it. Here in Georgia you can now purchase 'real gas' at QT (Quik Trip) for those not in the SE. Though it may be that it is only at the QT that is closest to my house, which is near Lake Lanier...Boat Motors HATE alcohol gas...

We need to get back to feeding the corn to cows and not make crappy gas.

D.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:18 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... I have been using E85 for the last 2 years and love that crappy gas ... mine doesn't sit around much for long periods of time ... its more drag car than DD ... go moonshine ! .....
Old 03-14-2017, 08:46 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Need A Vette
I certainly hope that they do away with this 10% Alcohol enhanced gasoline, my car will appreciate it. Here in Georgia you can now purchase 'real gas' at QT (Quik Trip) for those not in the SE. Though it may be that it is only at the QT that is closest to my house, which is near Lake Lanier...Boat Motors HATE alcohol gas...

We need to get back to feeding the corn to cows and not make crappy gas.

D.
Ugh, they say it's only gonna get worse. Weird thing around here...price seems to stay at $2.99 a gallon no matter what for the real stuff, and doesn't fluctuate with the corn.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:50 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C409
..... I have been using E85 for the last 2 years and love that crappy gas ... mine doesn't sit around much for long periods of time ... its more drag car than DD ... go moonshine ! .....
Yea, I do about 1000 miles a year between two cars, LoL...I put $20 in, and it's been a couple of months, and barely moved the gauge in my ole' S10, ha ha. That thing doesn't care what I put in it, but the 'vette is fussy. Needless to say, it does run and start better on the real stuff...when I can keep it in long enough without wondering if it's turned top varnish

Ah, what gettin' old does to ya! I must have done 30-40k a year in my cars when I was in my 20's...

Last edited by racerseks; 03-14-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question regarding gasoline...

Quick Reply: Question regarding gasoline...