C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Slip yoke play, how much is required on C4?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 07:10 PM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 189 Posts
Default Slip yoke play, how much is required on C4?

I've got a short tail TH400 in my C4. The yoke and driveshaft are perfect length so that the yoke is bottomed out in trans when installed. I need to cut some off to give it a little wiggle room.

Normally on leaf spring cars I do 1". With this being a short tail trans, I only have 2.5" of full spline engagement. Can I get away with only .5" of in/out play on the slip yoke with this rear suspension? I'm not sure how much it moves and don't want to cut without proper clearance.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:57 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I've got a short tail TH400 in my C4. The yoke and driveshaft are perfect length so that the yoke is bottomed out in trans when installed. I need to cut some off to give it a little wiggle room.

Normally on leaf spring cars I do 1". With this being a short tail trans, I only have 2.5" of full spline engagement. Can I get away with only .5" of in/out play on the slip yoke with this rear suspension? I'm not sure how much it moves and don't want to cut without proper clearance.
Fit slip-yoke - fabricate a correct drive-shaft. Bottomed out could be that maybe the output shaft maybe meant to be for a bolt-on yoke was "bottomed" in the shorter automotive style slip-yoke, the bolt-on output shaft I believe is 5/8 or 3/4 longer than the automotive style slip-yoke.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-06-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:13 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova

.5" should be fine. The length between the tailshaft and differential is fixed, unlike a leaf spring car, because of the c-beam. The 2" of spline this leaves you with should not cause any problems.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:21 PM
JoeNova
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
.5" should be fine. The length between the tailshaft and differential is fixed, unlike a leaf spring car, because of the c-beam. The 2" of spline this leaves you with should not cause any problems.
That's the answer I was looking for. I already have the yoke and driveshaft. The yoke is just a touch too long and the end of it bottoms out inside of the Trans. Car is an extreme budget turbo LS swap and getting a driveshaft made isn't really an option. I would slide the engine forward an inch and refabricate the Trans mounting bracket before I bought more parts.

Get notified of new replies

To Slip yoke play, how much is required on C4?

Quick Reply: Slip yoke play, how much is required on C4?