C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Modded my 85 vette...gas flow probs

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:56 PM
lectrcsprx
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modded my 85 vette...gas flow probs

Ok... I upgraded my 85 vette by ripping out all the old stuff. Putting in a new 383 stroker with a TPI mini ram. Had CPU upgraded for motor. I removed all catalytic converters and put in a 4" exhaust with Borla exhaust system. Problem I'm having is cold start she doesn't pop over right away(tested fuel pump and its at 44lbs psi). When warm and going down the road, if I get on the gas, sometimes she bucks and kicks before going like gas is not moving thru correctly. I'm lost guys, I am open to any suggestions on making performance better.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Who upgraded the CPU? Was it an off shelf program or someone did a "guess a tune" or was it a dyno tune?

What injectors were used? Assuming the motor is sound, have you done a fuel pressure check? I would take the hose off the FPR, cap off the nipple and do a WOT run and see if the pump will keep up.

Last edited by aklim; 04-10-2017 at 09:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lectrcsprx (04-14-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:11 PM
lectrcsprx
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by aklim
Who upgraded the CPU? Was it an off shelf program or someone did a "guess a tune" or was it a dyno tune?

What injectors were used? Assuming the motor is sound, have you done a fuel pressure check? I would take the hose off the FPR, cap off the nipple and do a WOT run and see if the pump will keep up.
It was done by TPIS up in Minnesota. TPIS sold us mini ram and did the chip. I had a mechanic do a fuel pressure check. We couldnt figure it out. I am considering taking her in to be dyno tuned. I just wanted to make sure I havent missed something. Shes just a tune away I think from ripping it up.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lectrcsprx
It was done by TPIS up in Minnesota. TPIS sold us mini ram and did the chip. I had a mechanic do a fuel pressure check. We couldnt figure it out. I am considering taking her in to be dyno tuned. I just wanted to make sure I havent missed something. Shes just a tune away I think from ripping it up.
What is your location? Should put that in the profile so we can see it and tell you where to go. In my case, they will tell me to go to hell.

This is where I got my work done.
lectrcsprx (04-14-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 01:44 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Hope you figure it out. Do you really have a 4" exhaust system or 4" tips?
lectrcsprx (04-14-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 05:10 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

the elephant in the room is . . . the fuel pump !
what pump do you have in it ?

fuel pressure and volume flow are not the same thing.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:15 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blackozvet

Agreed which is why I suggested a simulated WOT by removing the hose and doing a WOT run measuring the pressure.
lectrcsprx (04-14-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 07:59 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Ok... I upgraded my 85 vette by ripping out all the old stuff. Putting in a new 383 stroker with a TPI mini ram. Had CPU upgraded for motor. I removed all catalytic converters and put in a 4" exhaust with Borla exhaust system. Problem I'm having is cold start she doesn't pop over right away(tested fuel pump and its at 44lbs psi). When warm and going down the road, if I get on the gas, sometimes she bucks and kicks before going like gas is not moving thru correctly. I'm lost guys, I am open to any suggestions on making performance better.
It is probably a tune issue (Check the basics like fuel pressure), it sounds to me like you need more cranking fuel for the cold start issue. For the acceleration bucking issue it probably needs more acceleration fuel. Mini rams need a lot more acceleration fuel when compared to the TPI and most tunes do not provide enough acceleration fuel. (This is similar to the accelerator pump on a carb)
lectrcsprx (04-14-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:43 PM
lectrcsprx
Heel & Toe

What is your location? Should put that in the profile so we can see it and tell you where to go. In my case, they will tell me to go to hell.

This is where I got my work done.
I live outside Chicago near Elgin, IL.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:50 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I live outside Chicago near Elgin, IL.
I'd put it in the profile so nobody has to ask in future. I don't know but I lived in Madison and trailered it to Hitech. I have also driven there to trade in a Yukon XL for a 7.3 Powerstroke Excursion
lectrcsprx (04-14-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:54 PM
lectrcsprx
Heel & Toe

I can only assume its the stock fuel pump sold by Ecklers.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:57 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I can only assume its the stock fuel pump sold by Ecklers.
Did YOU replace personally? IF not, we don't know what they did. Was the pulsator removed? It can cause issues. Kinda why I think you need to do a WOT run
lectrcsprx (04-14-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 04:07 PM
lectrcsprx
Heel & Toe

Did YOU replace personally? IF not, we don't know what they did. Was the pulsator removed? It can cause issues. Kinda why I think you need to do a WOT run
I myself am not a mechanic but helped my friend who is a mechanic do the engine upgrade.. I tinker here n there. My mechanic is a friend and ill relay your questions to him. So run a WOT test. Anything else(I'm praying your not going to say I need to drop the tank)?? I do have a Dyno test place not far from me. Would that help at this point?
Old 04-11-2017, 04:30 PM
aklim
Team Owner

So run a WOT test.

Anything else(I'm praying your not going to say I need to drop the tank)??

I do have a Dyno test place not far from me. Would that help at this point?
IF we see the fuel pressure keeps up, we can look elsewhere but if you shut off the engine and the fuel pressure rapidly falls or the pump has too many "fall on it's face" moments during WOT, we look at fuel.

You can drop the tank if you so desire but it isn't necessary to do that to get to the pump. Your call.

I wouldn't until we know for sure what the problem is and is fixed. It might be expensive to do there.
lectrcsprx (04-14-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 06:19 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Fuel pump/pressure issue check first, as mentioned. Check at idle, bring the engine speed up and note behavior of the pressure. Kill the motor, see what it does then. Does it hold steady, how long, if not, how fast does it drop? This will point to pump, regulator, injectors depending.

2nd thing is the ECM/chip that was done. It needs to be tuned on a dynojet with a Wideband sensor, that will show the issue with the tune.

Either way it sounds like a not-enough fueling problem.
lectrcsprx (04-14-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 06:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vader86
Fuel pump/pressure issue check first, as mentioned. Check at idle, bring the engine speed up and note behavior of the pressure. Kill the motor, see what it does then. Does it hold steady, how long, if not, how fast does it drop? This will point to pump, regulator, injectors depending.

2nd thing is the ECM/chip that was done. It needs to be tuned on a dynojet with a Wideband sensor, that will show the issue with the tune.

Either way it sounds like a not-enough fueling problem.
Spring is around the corner. Winter specials are over. The facilities might be more busy and charge him for the diagnostic and time to take it off and on the dyno. Kinda why I am thinking he should fix it before asking for their help since they may be more expensive. Your thoughts?
Old 04-11-2017, 07:49 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

as aklim and vader have said, you need to know things and check things before people on here can diagnose things.
what size are the injectors ? what is the fuel pump ? what size throttle body ? What is the actual fuel pressure ?

taking a wild punt I would say that a stock flow fuel pump on a 383 with a miniram just aint gonna cut it when you get on the gas !

Get notified of new replies

To Modded my 85 vette...gas flow probs

Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

as aklim and vader have said, you need to know things and check things before people on here can diagnose things.
what size are the injectors ? what is the fuel pump ? what size throttle body ? What is the actual fuel pressure ?

taking a wild punt I would say that a stock flow fuel pump on a 383 with a miniram just aint gonna cut it when you get on the gas !
Hard to say. It might be on the ragged edge, it might not be. Wish he would do a WOT run so we can see for sure.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:18 PM
slhawkins
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm praying your not going to say I need to drop the tank
You can drop the tank if you so desire but it isn't necessary to do that to get to the pump. Your call.
I feel it's worth reiterating this since it might be tempting to wait to check the pump as a last resort without knowing it.

The fuel pump in our cars comes out in about 15 minutes. Open the gas door and remove the 4 torx screws, the door will then pull away with ease. If it's not clean, clean up the rubber area around the neck and remove the cap. Then carefully pry out the rubber. Remove the hoses and the 9 or so bolts, then the pump will lift right up. It'll take you 15 minutes to pull it out, maybe 30 if the hoses don't come off easy. So whatever you do, don't wait until the very end to check on the pump. :-D That said, I don't see why even a stock pump would have an issue supplying fuel to start the car. Though it could cause the other issues...

It might be worth finding out what base .bin they used for your chip. I had cold start issues once I removed the cold start injector on my 87. In theory TPIS knows about that and would have corrected for it though. Do you have any notes or receipts on what they did for the ECM?

*+1 on the WOT run

Last edited by slhawkins; 04-11-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:32 PM
lectrcsprx
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 383vett
Hope you figure it out. Do you really have a 4" exhaust system or 4" tips?
4" from headers back.

Quick Reply: Modded my 85 vette...gas flow probs