C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

QA1 coilover spring rate recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 02:52 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Default QA1 coilover spring rate recommendations

Hi all

I have replaced all my front and rear suspension bushes with the beautiful red Prothane ones, and fitted new front wheel bearing hubs. Did the rear bearing hubs last year.

My Koni coilovers are the next thing that need replacement, the coilover shaft is standard quite small and i broke one at the base of the shaft thread.

I am upgrading to the QA1 coil overs with thicker shafts, I would like to know what spring rates you find gives a comfortable ride on.
(on the average poorly maintained highways)

I believe 350-400lb front 10'' springs, 275-300lb rear is what i have found online what people are using in their C4's.

Please advise what lb spring rate you are using and if the car is comfortable to drive on deteriorated highways?

I don't want to end up with the expense and a dozen springs of varying rates in my garage.........

I do not track my car much anymore, want to bring it back to a more comfortable touring car. One that the little woman wont mind going for a drive with me, without the cursing that goes on when i drive over a dime size imperfection on the highway.

She wants a Volvo type ride ..... yes that wont happen ... a vette is not a boat ..
I myself am a bit tired of the noise and spinal jarring ride the Track spring rate coil overs give, she is a dream ride on a nice smooth highway but they are too few and far between..

Thanks for reading this far, i appreciate your input
Old 04-17-2017, 08:10 AM
383tpimachine
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I run 400/350 and love it but track my car and am young so higher tolerance for a rough ride. Also I have a good 50lbs extra upfront with my setup.

That said if you are stock engine wise(weight wise) I would start at 325-350f and 275-300r
The following users liked this post:
gerardvg (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 06:00 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 383tpimachine
I run 400/350 and love it but track my car and am young so higher tolerance for a rough ride. Also I have a good 50lbs extra upfront with my setup.

That said if you are stock engine wise(weight wise) I would start at 325-350f and 275-300r
Hi

Thanks for sharing your experience, yeah I have heard lots recommend the 400lb front. I also have a 383 and it has a blower.

I cannot recall the spring rate on my Koni coil overs, but they are damn harsh on average roads.

Looks like I will go for 350lb max on front and 275lb rear, now at 55 I have started to feel the harsh ride more than when I was 45 when I fitted the track rated koni coil overs.

Thanks again

Last edited by gerardvg; 04-17-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:57 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Update

I found a supplier here in Australia that has the springs to suit the QA1 coil overs, Saves spending 60-90 us shipping.

They have 300Lb and a odd 336Lb and 350Lb in 10 or 8 inch length coil over springs at quite a reasonable price, I will go for the 300lb and 336lb front springs to try as they are nice and cheap.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:28 PM
383tpimachine
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

Thanks for sharing your experience, yeah I have heard lots recommend the 400lb front. I also have a 383 and it has a blower.

I cannot recall the spring rate on my Koni coil overs, but they are damn harsh on average roads.

Looks like I will go for 350lb max on front and 275lb rear, now at 55 I have started to feel the harsh ride more than when I was 45 when I fitted the track rated koni coil overs.

Thanks again
Same. Ysi and bv57 are hefty not to mention the coil overs, IC and meth tank/pump.

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Update

I found a supplier here in Australia that has the springs to suit the QA1 coil overs, Saves spending 60-90 us shipping.

They have 300Lb and a odd 336Lb and 350Lb in 10 or 8 inch length coil over springs at quite a reasonable price, I will go for the 300lb and 336lb front springs to try as they are nice and cheap.
Sounds like a steal. those should ride nice especially dialed down on the shocks
Old 04-19-2017, 06:53 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

Hi Gerard,
Im only using coil overs on the front, but have 450 lb for street use and 600 lb for track. (z51 326 lb rear leaf)
I can honestly say that with soft compression and rebound settings on the shocks cannot tell the difference between them on the street !

Just for info, I did all the measurements and weights (and stole some info off old threads on here) took it to a suspension guy that I know, he did all the calculations and worked out that 550 lb is the ideal front spring (coil over) for the front of the early c4 in a performance application. I went 600 lb due to bumpy track.

Industrial springs here in Adelaide has closed down, where are you getting your springs from in Oz ?

Get notified of new replies

To QA1 coilover spring rate recommendations

Quick Reply: QA1 coilover spring rate recommendations