C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 No start (no turn over)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default 92 No start (no turn over)

I have a 92 automatic that won't start. Simple enough? Well The battery is up. I used a jumper wire and the solenoid pulled in an engine turned over. So the starter works ok. It won't turn over with the key switch. I believe that leaves me with several unchecked items starter switch, wiring, neutral safety switch, and ECM. I forgotten how tight everything is on these cars. What is everyones opinion as to the most likely problem? I have driven this car exactly once it was a Mecum Auction Special. That is a whole nother story.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:06 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

history?

i think it is vats.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:49 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 87bob
I have a 92 automatic that won't start. Simple enough? Well The battery is up. I used a jumper wire and the solenoid pulled in an engine turned over. So the starter works ok. It won't turn over with the key switch. I believe that leaves me with several unchecked items starter switch, wiring, neutral safety switch, and ECM. I forgotten how tight everything is on these cars. What is everyones opinion as to the most likely problem? I have driven this car exactly once it was a Mecum Auction Special. That is a whole nother story.
My 96 drove me nuts with a similar situation. I see you've jumped the starter, and it worked okay.

So did mine.

After chasing my tail for a week or so I pulled the starter and lo and behold the contacts were toast. I swapped them out and have'nt had another problem.

later, tiny
The following users liked this post:
87bob (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 10:36 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Default Found the problem!

I switched and went to the other key and all worked well.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:45 PM
geb@abq
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ok. So it was the VATS ?? or you are just a DF and don't know ----just so people know
Old 04-24-2017, 09:36 AM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by geb@abq
ok. So it was the VATS ?? or you are just a DF and don't know ----just so people know
Since the other key worked fine, the VATS must be ok. And since you couldn't figure that out it leaves you to figure out what you are.

People come here for help from those in the know, not snide remarks.
The following 2 users liked this post by 87bob:
941YYG (06-26-2021), klandry5 (06-05-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 09:36 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Well damn....Ive never run into that before, makes me wonder why the first key quit working.

later, tiny

Last edited by 1800Wing; 04-24-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:32 AM
geb@abq
Instructor

Since the other key worked fine, the VATS must be ok. And since you couldn't figure that out it leaves you to figure out what you are.

People come here for help from those in the know, not snide remarks.
Hello 87 Bob. I apologize for the "snide" remark, it was rude of me to make the smart-a**ed comment, and I am glad for you that the problem was just the key. I am myself having a VATS problem and have ordered a bypass for it. I went to a locksmith yesterday and had a new key made, and it doesn't work either, so the bypass. When I initially started having this problem, I checked the fuses, replaced the starter relay, and rebuilt the starter solenoid, and finally settled on the problem being VATS related, as it was intermittent, and after 10-15 minutes would sometime crank with the key for no apparent reason. I surmised that maybe the contacts in the ignition switch were dirty, and squirted some some MAF sensor cleaner in it and blew it out with compressed air, and think that made it worse for whatever reason. Won't start no at all now. Again, sorry for the remark
The following 2 users liked this post by geb@abq:
carguy604 (04-25-2017), klandry5 (06-05-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 06:57 PM
geb@abq
Instructor

Originally Posted by geb@abq
Hello 87 Bob. I apologize for the "snide" remark, it was rude of me to make the smart-a**ed comment, and I am glad for you that the problem was just the key. I am myself having a VATS problem and have ordered a bypass for it. I went to a locksmith yesterday and had a new key made, and it doesn't work either, so the bypass. When I initially started having this problem, I checked the fuses, replaced the starter relay, and rebuilt the starter solenoid, and finally settled on the problem being VATS related, as it was intermittent, and after 10-15 minutes would sometime crank with the key for no apparent reason. I surmised that maybe the contacts in the ignition switch were dirty, and squirted some some MAF sensor cleaner in it and blew it out with compressed air, and think that made it worse for whatever reason. Won't start no at all now. Again, sorry for the remark

ok, my problem was VATS. Ninety five cent resistor cured it, good thing I got a $30 part (bypass kit) on the way...oh well, at least I have an extra key now

Get notified of new replies

To 92 No start (no turn over)

Quick Reply: 92 No start (no turn over)