C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Battery Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 01:28 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Battery Issue

Would anyone know the exact bolt that needs to go into the positive slot in the battery? When I bought the car someone had the wrong sized bolt. Once and a while I go to start and just hear that clicking sound. I take a pair of pliers tighten it and we are good to go. I went to a local car parts place and they gave me a bolt but it's doing the same thing. Drive the car around for a bit, it's fine then it must loosen. Not a big deal but I'd like to have the proper bolt to connect the positive terminal correctly.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:16 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

You can use something like this: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...26+accessories

or go to your local hardware store and pick up a 7/16" bolt of the correct length. That's what I use when I'm charging a side mount battery.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:27 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Ok will do. Thanks. Should I being using lock right in the bolt as well?
Old 04-22-2017, 07:35 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Do not use lock-tite, be sure insulation on cable allows full contact with battery and that bolt does not bottom out in battery before it clamps cable to battery. I had this problem and had to use a longer full thread bolt with a nut on it, bottom it out in battery and then tighten the nut on to get the cable to have good contact. someone had partly striped the threads in the battery and I could not get a good tight contact at positive cable,also had to trim some of insulation off the cable, the thin ring that fits tight into positive post to allow the cable to seat correctly.

Last edited by A Peter C4; 04-22-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:39 PM
James84vette
Instructor

Ok, I'll do that then. Orgially it had a loner boltnwith a nut on the end but like I said before it would continue to get loose. I did cut off that red ring as it was in the way of a new bolt I got. I'll take it off and make sure the cable goes flush to the battery.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:49 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Trim the ring on the battery side of the cable.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:50 PM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine is an 8 metric. Don't take this wrong but you need to put a good battery in there. The MvGyver attitude can only work for so long, then you are dark out on a blacktop when a beat up pickup pulls up to help.I saw Deliverance 14 times.

Is happy motoring worth $75? Hell yes it is.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Issue

Quick Reply: Battery Issue