C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Exhaust reviews

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:02 PM
Hjhvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust reviews

Hey everyone. I have an 86 corvette c4 with everything stock. I am looking to upgrade the exhaust but unsure what brand to go with. I like OBX but have been unable to find many reviews. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? Or any suggestions on what brand I should go with? Any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-25-2017, 09:10 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Stay stock unless you just want more noise. I don't care what anyone tells you there isn't 5hp difference between the best and worse out there.
The following users liked this post:
Hockeyzbh (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:41 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
Stay stock unless you just want more noise. I don't care what anyone tells you there isn't 5hp difference between the best and worse out there.
I mostly agree with Cjunkie, EXCEPT if you put a set of headers on the engine. Headers, will make a big difference and anything short of that will be more sound than performance.

My suggestion is to spend some time on YouTube listening to different exhaust mods on a similar car to yours. Getting opinions on sounds from members on the forum is just going to get you people rooting for their own decision.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:37 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

ive heard L98 engines (ive had 3) are massively restricted in the exhaust header (and heads and intake manifold) and that putting headers and larger diameter exhaust on really helps. i havnt done it yet because its so darn expensive lol!

but im close to buying the full obx system headers to tips and getting it welded at a muffler shop.

ive read that installing the obx alone with clamps is hard. ive read it sounds the same as corsa and corsa has the best reviews from my research.

my experience is only in stock exhaust with guyted cats!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:20 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
ive heard L98 engines (ive had 3) are massively restricted in the exhaust
Single exhaust? Single cat? How can a good aftermarket exhaust NOT be meaningfully better?
The following users liked this post:
ElisTwoCents (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 09:12 AM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

obx has a reputation as garbage on several import web sites. you get what you pay for , you pay little and get less.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:17 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by johno504
obx has a reputation as garbage on several import web sites. you get what you pay for , you pay little and get less.
I am interested in this comment, my understanding is that the material is good but the pre cut pieces are poorly shaped in that certain pieces are too long

i've read that if you intend on having a muffler shop install it will be excess fine because they simply cut and weld as needed.

have you read that the actual quality of the piping is bad? Like it rusts out right away
Old 04-26-2017, 03:14 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I cannot speak for the OBX exhaust other than their headers, which I just installed. The material and welds are good. The flanges are nice and thick. The fit, as far as fitting in the engine bay, is decent. The problems I ran into with them were with the flange bolt holes lining up with the block(seriously bad, if you can't make a flange that bolts to a block then you shouldn't be making headers!), air check valves not fitting, primary tubes come close to the brake lines and harnesses, I had to round off some header bolts to get them all the way in, I'm sure other things I'm forgetting. It was a nightmare. Now that it's done I am happy and I did save a lot compared to other brands. Another plus is that they come with the y-pipe, which is also stainless, and it fits very nice.
Name:  photo939.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  659.0 KB
Would I get them again? Probably. Would I bitch and complain the entire install? Without a doubt!
Old 04-26-2017, 03:43 PM
cypher85
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Hooker long tubes mated to the "pypes" 2.5 x-pipe mandrel bent system, and out through corsa mufflers. It is a nice raw sound without any drone. I could not be happier with my exhaust setup. It screams when I am on it but on the highway is quite pleasant with a nice low drone free rumble.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:45 PM
Travlee
Race Director

Received 1,121 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by johno504
obx headers for the 350z were crap, with horrible fitment. they are usually knock offs. for the nissan there were PPE clones, and for the c6z06 they are dynatech clones
Old 04-26-2017, 04:12 PM
cypher85
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Video of my idle..

Old 04-26-2017, 06:52 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r

ive read that installing the obx alone with clamps is hard. ive read it sounds the same as corsa and corsa has the best reviews from my research.
94 LT1 - I have exotic muscle headers with offroad extensions (all coated) sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. I haven't decided yet on the "catback" to install. For $520 shipped the all polished OBX catback doesnt seem like a bad idea even if I buy torctite clamps and pay a tad extra if OBX catback install isn't 100% bolt-up. I think the polished setup is beautiful looking. IDK I'll decide in the next month or so and definitely post feedback

87 L98 - I had TPIS headers, y-pipe into a Borla catback and that is a beautiful sound

But If all else fails I'll go back to the B&B 3" and it's beautiful 4.5" tips that fit perfectly with the rear, I have young ears and resonance isn't my enemy yet.

I'll pay money to play and have spent much $$$ on my Corvettes BUT No way I'm coughing up the Corsa CorvetteTax System, I have plenty of other hobbies to use that cash on. There's a point of diminishing returns on Corvette catbacks and Corsa crosses that line for me.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:59 PM
cdm747
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 236 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I just had my exhaust redone on my 88 at a local muffler shop. Dual pipes off stock manifolds, no cats, x pipe and Wagner QuietFlow Mufflers with dual tips. Believe me it sounds good. May not be Corsa or B&B but sounds real nice to my old ears.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:39 AM
MrJoelieC
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If all you do is the exhaust this is absolutely true... My parents and their friends are old time Rally guys... On of them now in his 80's gave me some very sage advice that makes Cjunkie and I "Mostly agree"

I had asked my old friend Duncan what was the best modification he had ever done to his SCCA cars, (He had had many.)

"Joel, if you are gonna put headers and a muffler on, don't forget about the intake... What's the point of exhaling more air if you can't take in just as much air."

Sage advice... He's still alive, And I've promised him a ride in my vette on Kentucky Derby Day...

Last edited by MrJoelieC; 04-27-2017 at 09:40 AM. Reason: There and Their
Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Notice I didn't say headers. Exhaust = from manifolds/cats back.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:09 AM
MrJoelieC
Instructor

Notice I didn't say headers. Exhaust = from manifolds/cats back.
I suppose we can forgive you there. ;-) LOL
Old 04-28-2017, 05:33 AM
Phantom_Vette1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Im from Australia, its a long time since i posted.

Just wanted to chime in and report on the OBX system i bought, The headers, also the dual pipes, the hi flow cats and x pipe to rear mufflers two outs.

I installed the headers myself at home with just jack stands and very cramped space either side of my corvette. Oh i have a 90 coupe.
Once i finally got them in after removing both heat shields(fuel,brake) they were an ok fit except touching the passenger side chassis which i had to grind a bit.
The driver side i had to reroute the oil cooler hose as it was touching too.
the only bolt hole that would not line up to the header was the front passenger one, i had to dremel it about 4-5mm PITA. after taking mani off again, jacking up and taking out under it starts to really annoy me. This is supposed to a direct fit argh.
I had to remove the starter before and install after, no room!

After all that i decided to remove it all then refit my stock mani. Sick of it all. <-(

Didn't like the idea of the headers running so hot as they will definately melt stuff after a while, they get hot after just mins of running. Brake booster will crack I've heard, starter will fail when hot and don't like the proximity to brake and fuel lines. I did buy some exhaust wrap but unless off the engine it was impossible to do

Anyway they looked amazing, but just not for me, the rest of the system is staying, was difficult installing laying under the car on one jack a side at a time, piecing together the system. The clamps are rubbish and will be welded up as soon as i get it to an exhaust shop.
Guessing there are quite a few gaps in the connections as its very loud but both the mufflers outlets are open.

I did use my dremel and cleaned up the stock manifolds so that they are smooth without any welds clogging up the primaries, they are very bad from factory. hope this will help to compliment the duals 2.5" exhaust.
Bought the Payes down pipes as i deleted the pre-cats.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of OBX, very good items just not accurate in design,
oh and one of my muffler pipes was on the wrong angle, they mustn't have check before welding it:-(
OBX headers are sold now, so got some money back :-)

Thanks for the read.

Last edited by Phantom_Vette1; 04-28-2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:17 AM
eutu1984
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

I have the OBX system on my 90, it involved a lot of cutting and welding to make fit, and for me is a little on the loud side, I dont get any annoying drone with it though.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:20 AM
exitwound
Instructor

12 years ago, I replaced the stock system on my '87. I went to a custom exhaust dealer and told them what I wanted.

The crafted me (off the stock manifolds), a 60mm s/s dual system all the way out to the back of the car. At the back I have two boxes, which are sleeved to negate their effect. Total cost then was about $600 as really its just pipework, (not cats or mufflers apart from the wee ones at the back).

Soundwise, its fine, and barely audible inside the car unless I'm taching it up. Even with the roof off its a lovely note, with no resonance or drone (the passers-by tend to enjoy it more than I do as they get to hear it better). I've made a few simple changes to the motor and the itg filter with cut open airbox thing.

..and yes, it does run a lot stronger with this setup. At idle, it was a nice burble and a great roar (some say like Bullitt!) when I get on it.

Think of it like a human being.. You're running down the side of the road with a mask over your nose and mouth so you can't breathe so well and your struggling.. Remove the mask and you feel so much better as you can breathe in and out easier. An engine is much the same, remove the restrictions and it'll be more efficient.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust reviews

Quick Reply: Exhaust reviews