C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/C clutch diode location.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 12:11 AM
Carnivore
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C clutch diode location.

I have a 1990 C4 Corvette L98 with electronic climate control. With the ignition on, the control head works fine. After starting the engine, the control head flashes LEDs moving from one button to another and the buttons are inoperative (second set of control head and programmer reacts the same and no errors in the diagnostic display). I noted a clicking precedes the control head flashing LEDs. Since the compressor control shares electrical power circuits with electronic climate control (8A-67-0,1 in FSM), I suspect that there may be power spikes coming from the compressor clutch. I turned up the temperature to 85 degrees and then started the car. It ran for two minutes with the control head reacting normally before going wacky. I turned the temperature down to 65 degrees and started the car. It ran for about five seconds before the clutch kicked in and the control head went wacky. The FSM shows a A/C Compressor Clutch Diode to prevent voltage spikes which is taped inside the harness. I stripped the tape from the harness (picture included) at the A/C clutch connector but could not find any diode. Am I looking in the right place?
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2017, 07:01 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnivore
I have a 1990 C4 Corvette L98 with electronic climate control. With the ignition on, the control head works fine. After starting the engine, the control head flashes LEDs moving from one button to another and the buttons are inoperative (second set of control head and programmer reacts the same and no errors in the diagnostic display). I noted a clicking precedes the control head flashing LEDs. Since the compressor control shares electrical power circuits with electronic climate control (8A-67-0,1 in FSM), I suspect that there may be power spikes coming from the compressor clutch. I turned up the temperature to 85 degrees and then started the car. It ran for two minutes with the control head reacting normally before going wacky. I turned the temperature down to 65 degrees and started the car. It ran for about five seconds before the clutch kicked in and the control head went wacky. The FSM shows a A/C Compressor Clutch Diode to prevent voltage spikes which is taped inside the harness. I stripped the tape from the harness (picture included) at the A/C clutch connector but could not find any diode. Am I looking in the right place?
Hi

Just buy a diode and connect it across the a/c connector or wiring, the line or arrow goes toward the 12 volts check which one is 12v and which is ground.

See my crude diagram below

Ground to diode >| 12v supply to compressor to diode

Old 04-28-2017, 07:53 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

Just buy a diode and connect it across the a/c connector or wiring, the line or arrow goes toward the 12 volts check which one is 12v and which is ground.

See my crude diagram below

Ground to diode >| 12v supply to compressor to diode

Crude, but effective.

The power spike occurs when the clutch shuts off and is reverse polarity of the power applied to the clutch while on.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:02 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

How far back have you stripped the harness?

I believe that on most 'denso compressor connector the diode is likely maybe 3 - 4 inches towards the body harness. It's not like the older R4 where it's right at the connector.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-28-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:24 PM
Carnivore
Heel & Toe

Thanks. I will get another diode and connect it up.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:32 PM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just checked mine, since I thought I had seen it. My 87 has a diode across the terminals of the wiring plug on the compressor. There is a rubber boot and if I slide it back the diode is going across in a U shape in with the wires clamped to the (spade terminals I think).
Old 05-15-2017, 06:36 PM
Carnivore
Heel & Toe

I added a diode across the compressor connector and the control head still flashes LEDs moving from one button to another. My display of parameter values came back. Parameter 31: TEMPERATURE DOOR TRAVEL RANGE (FSM 1C1-5) appears to be going in and out of range. I have recoded values of 128, -101 (201), -102 (202), -197 (297) from the control head display. Per my understanding of FSM 1C1-5, the range should be 100 to 200. However, no fault codes (Parameter 00 is 00). Is my understanding of FSM 1C1-5 correct?

Get notified of new replies

To A/C clutch diode location.

Quick Reply: A/C clutch diode location.