C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 periodically wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 11:30 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default 1990 periodically wont start.

1990 base coupe

I have checked the battery and alternator and both are working.

All lights and accessories work. No dimming.

Turn the switch a nd nothing happens

Jump box wil get it to crank.

This only seems to happen after it rains a good bit. Is there something getting moisture in it? What gets me is it will jump and sometimes after things outside dry up a bit it will crank. There apears to be no consistency.

Ideas???

Thanks!
Wade
Old 05-07-2017, 11:54 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Wade Walden
I have checked the battery and alternator and both are working.

All lights and accessories work. No dimming.

Turn the switch a nd nothing happens

Jump box wil get it to crank.

This only seems to happen after it rains a good bit. Is there something getting moisture in it? What gets me is it will jump and sometimes after things outside dry up a bit it will crank. There apears to be no consistency.

Ideas???

Thanks!
Wade
How did you check them out?

Doesn't tell me anything other than the battery will supply enough power to keep them running. Cranking requires a lot more than to run a light bulb. You can run with a 5 pound weight on your legs. You might not do as well with a 50 pound weight.

Does the thing pressure up fuel in run mode? Can you check if it gets a signal at the starter?

I had something like that. After a few days, it won't turn over or is weak. Jumping will work. All indications of a bad battery. Thing is, it was a bad starter. If you get a signal at the starter, we can eliminate other stuff.

Connections are best like a girl. Tight even when wet.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:13 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by aklim
How did you check them out?

Doesn't tell me anything other than the battery will supply enough power to keep them running. Cranking requires a lot more than to run a light bulb. You can run with a 5 pound weight on your legs. You might not do as well with a 50 pound weight.

Does the thing pressure up fuel in run mode? Can you check if it gets a signal at the starter?

I had something like that. After a few days, it won't turn over or is weak. Jumping will work. All indications of a bad battery. Thing is, it was a bad starter. If you get a signal at the starter, we can eliminate other stuff.

Connections are best like a girl. Tight even when wet.
LMBO on that last comment!

I can hear the fuel pump when i turn tge switch on. As for the battery i put it on my charger and within a few minuts it checked good. What is the best way to check signal to starter?

Thanks!
Wade
Old 05-07-2017, 12:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

LMBO on that last comment!

I can hear the fuel pump when i turn tge switch on. As for the battery i put it on my charger and within a few minuts it checked good. What is the best way to check signal to starter?

Thanks!
Wade
Screw a wire on to the starter solenoid. It lights up,you have signal.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:39 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Are you saying that it will not crank over or that it cranks over but will not start?
Old 05-08-2017, 12:10 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by A Peter C4
Are you saying that it will not crank over or that it cranks over but will not start?
It doesn't do anything. No turnover at all. It cranked right up yesterday and this morning.

It has not rained in a couple days but I have no idea if that is relevant info.

Thanks
Wade
Old 05-08-2017, 12:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

It doesn't do anything. No turnover at all. It cranked right up yesterday and this morning.

It has not rained in a couple days but I have no idea if that is relevant info.

Thanks
Wade
Have to keep the test light on for when you have issues so you can see. Also you can bring it to a shop to do a crank amp test. Or take the starter to a rebuild shop and have it disassembled and tested. Not Autozone. A rebuild shop.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:19 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Sounds like a bad battery connection or bad ground. Do lights work when it dosn't crank and start?

Last edited by A Peter C4; 05-08-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:13 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Sounds like a bad battery connection or bad ground. Do lights work when it dosn't crank and start?

Yes all lights and accessories work.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:53 PM
xflagz51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had just logged on to the forum to research this. I too have a 1990 base, 6-speed where the starter will not crank, but everything else electrical on the car works. I started it up one morning to go to work, stopped into a gas station on the way to fuel up, went to start it back up and continue on to work and the starter would not go. Batter and alternator are new, voltages are good and strong. I took the original starter to Autozone and it ran just fine in the test machine. Full voltage on the hot lug (large) of the solenoid, but nothing on the negative lug (small) of the solenoid even with the ignition all (steering column) all the way in the start position. It has not started since and it's been about a week and a half. Was perfectly dry conditions when this all happened, neutral safety switch? I've got through the FSM to see whet else could be causing the problem, just wondering if any of you had run into the same issue.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:21 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Could be new starter time . Lifetime warranty new Remy #99635 starter at Rock Auto no core charge.

Last edited by A Peter C4; 05-20-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:49 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
There is a clutch pedal switch.
And there is a relay above the driver's knee bolster for the starter circuit. The CCM closes this relay allowing starter to engage if the security system isn't armed, and the PASSKEY is correct. Because you have no voltage at the little terminal in START, one of these is open.

You could also use the onboard CCM diagnostics to cycle the starter relay, and to monitor the status the CCM is sending. Also check the ECM for code 46, which is a PASSKEY error. 46 will be erased if 50 ignition cycles occur without the fault being present.
This for "xflagz51" yes! jumper the clutch safety is generally the first test and switch failure is certainly frequent. Start Enable Relay next.

You mention the FSM so you should have no issues with your diagnostics.

OP - if you've the FSM there's "NO CRANK" diagnostics - Start Enable Relay maybe and best of recollection there's SER wiring modifications done frequently for '90 MY. Lots to confirm for you. '90 is a 'denso and I doubt a starter replacement required if it's the OE, contacts and plunger maybe. If it's already an "off the shelf reman" I'd do a local shop for diagnostics after all else checks good.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-21-2017 at 05:09 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:46 PM
xflagz51
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll give those a try an see what happens. I did a reset of a trip odo out of sequence to what normally do, and wondered if it's some kind of security fault. I'll work through the FSM diagnostics as well.

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 periodically wont start.

Quick Reply: 1990 periodically wont start.