C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/C compressor always on

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 09:12 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by barry96
After a terrible day on the golf course, I thought getting back to fixing my AC might cheer me up but today is just not my day.

I got the schrader tool and valves, orifice tube and was all set to vacuum it out. I was able to tighten the low side schrader valve but not the high. Then I realized (should have before) that the high side connect looks different. Is this a different type of schrader valve? See pics 1 (low) & 2 (high) and the tool I bought (pic 3). I think I saw a thread that the high side is a different kind of valve.

While I'm here, can someone confirm that the orifice tube I bought is the right one? The FSM is useless for the AC pics so I posted asking for the location of the orifice tube on another thread but if someone has that too, great.
The high side valve is called a ball valve (it's not a Schrader). The whole top piece unscrews from the bottom piece (the main pipe). You have to be careful that you don’t bend the pipe when removing it. I believe the ball valve can be bought from AutoZone.

The Schrader valve removal tool you have is really for tires. Even though the valve is a physical fit the length of the tool may not be long enough. AutoZone also sells this tool which looks like a screwdriver but the shaft has a long reach to get deep in there.

Bought some orifice tubes for my 94 which I have not used yet but should be the same part as a 96. It's a Santech MT0097.

There is also a orifice removal tool. I borrowed it from AutoZone but would not fit in due to the physical confines. I built a tool which should work but have not used it yet. You may not want to mess with the orifice tube if you don’t have to.

Last edited by pcolt94; 07-04-2017 at 09:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
barry96 (07-04-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 11:17 PM
barry96
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks. I just found some youtube videos about how bad these high side ac ports are. Can they be changed back to a schrader type connector?
Back to autozone I guess.

re: orifice tube. I watched a bunch of videos and they seem to show very clogged orifice tubes. So why wouldn't I want to put a new one it if I have to vacuum the system anyway?
Old 07-05-2017, 09:21 AM
geb@abq
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by barry96
Thanks. I just found some youtube videos about how bad these high side ac ports are. Can they be changed back to a schrader type connector?
Back to autozone I guess.

re: orifice tube. I watched a bunch of videos and they seem to show very clogged orifice tubes. So why wouldn't I want to put a new one it if I have to vacuum the system anyway?

Yes, I think you should change the orifice. Very simple to do, just make sure you install it correctly, it is directional. I have changed several, and they all have had "debris" on the screen.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:57 AM
barry96
Instructor

There are a couple different valves I see online. Can someone confirm that this is the correct one on amazon - "ACDelco 15-5438 GM Original Equipment Air Conditioning Service Valve"?

BTW - these are $4 while autozone has them listed at $13. I hope these aren't the ones that fail quickly!

Last edited by barry96; 07-05-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:08 AM
barry96
Instructor

After finally getting the high pressure valve replaced, replacing the orifice tube and buying a vacuum pump, I finally set out to tackle recharging the system. This pump could only pull 22lbs of vacuum (unless the guage was wrong), I ran it for 2 hours and it held steady when I turned the pump off. I then began recharging. I noticed that the high pressure was not registering anything. Looks like I didn't have that connector open enough (people warned not to have it push down all the way or it might break the valve again!). But as I understand it, the with the compressor off, the vacuum on the low side will work on the whole system - correct?

Anyways, after about 12 oz of 134a, the system was working properly and as I kept filling the compressor did not pull down the low side enough to shut it off. So I emptied a little 134a and it was again cycling nicely (roughly 10 seconds on, 3 seconds off) and the temperature at the vent was 42F.

So the system is working but on only 12oz on 134a. How is this possible or what am I doing/measuring incorrectly?

Quick Reply: A/C compressor always on