C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Opti eliminating

Old 05-16-2017, 01:07 AM
lectroglide
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Opti eliminating

Just picked up a very nice 95 with 83K on the clock, even tho the 95s are vented keep thinking about the "WHAT IF IT GOES BAD

With that in mind the question becomes an upgraded unit such as the DELTEG replacement and wondering if anyone here has done the conversion..............0
Old 05-16-2017, 05:56 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 958 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Do you mean Delteq ? The website is still up, being funded on autopilot, but no one is home. I tracked down the owner using tools to find who owns a website, sent an email, got a response, then he went back into hiding and won't answer anymore emails.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:03 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Delteq is no more. LTCC conversion is great but still relies on optical sensor in opti for input.

The only true plug and play way to get rid of the opti entirely is the Torqhead conversion which has been out for the F-Bodies for a while now and soon our LT1 C4's. It gets rid of the LT1 PCM entirely and uses a new LS1 tuner friendly PCM. I would hold out for that. As soon as it comes online I will probably be an early adopter as I love the stoutness/reliability of my LT1 but want the more fool proof ignition and PCM of the LS1 Cars.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:56 AM
CMiller95
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

On torqhead's website you can choose Y-body as the type of platform so it may be compatible now.

http://www.torqhead.com/buy-24xlink-...egory=14327802
The following users liked this post:
don hall (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 07:56 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Whatever replacement method there is , you need to provide the ECM with cam and crank synch signals and a method to distribute the spark to each cylinder ... I have a Holley Dominator Controller with a FAST Dual-Synch distributor , valve cover mounted LSx Coils , and sequential fuel injection on a Gen 1 SBC ... the LT1 in the Corvette chassis adds to the difficulty but its doable ... just need to provide the signals ... and an ECM that can interpret them .....

Last edited by C409; 05-16-2017 at 08:02 AM.
don hall (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 08:09 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C409
..... Whatever replacement method there is , you need to provide the ECM with cam and crank synch signals and a method to distribute the spark to each cylinder ... I have a Holley Dominator Controller with a FAST Dual-Synch distributor , valve cover mounted LSx Coils , and sequential fuel injection on a Gen 1 SBC ... the LT1 in the Corvette chassis adds to the difficulty but its doable ... just need to provide the signals ... and an ECM that can interpret them .....
Torqhead does all of this with a hub, reluctor wheel, and crank sensor. All LS1 Components and he modifies the LS1 PCM to accept the LT1 PCM connectors. Everything is plug and play and it communicates with the CCM in cabin. Everything works as it did from the factory, all plug and play, no splicing, soldering, etc...
don hall (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 02:39 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Torqhead does all of this with a hub, reluctor wheel, and crank sensor. All LS1 Components and he modifies the LS1 PCM to accept the LT1 PCM connectors. Everything is plug and play and it communicates with the CCM in cabin. Everything works as it did from the factory, all plug and play, no splicing, soldering, etc...
Good info So are these units available if so where is the resource?
Old 05-16-2017, 02:50 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 218 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by lectroglide
...... So are these units available if so where is the resource?
http://www.torqhead.com/index.html
Old 05-16-2017, 03:40 PM
drcook
Safety Car

I am going to contact them and ask about diagnostics. What do you tell the diagnostic tool that you are dealing with ? If it tries to communicate with an LT1 ECM, it is not there any more, and vice versa.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:48 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

Not an opti eliminator but the LTCC kit someone mentioned above is a phenomenal piece of hardware. I've had it on my car for years and it has worked flawlessly. It eliminated ignition gremlins for me by eliminating the ICM, stock coil, and the use of the high voltage side of the opti. Remember, OEM Optis have the Mitsubishi sensor which has proven very reliable and that piece of the opti is what the LTCC relies on. I've been very happy with my setup.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:54 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Bookmarked
Old 05-16-2017, 06:24 PM
drcook
Safety Car

I received an answer to the email I sent. The next step is to contact OTC and explain what is proposed and see if their diagnostic tools will still interface. The OTC Nemisys that I have goes through steps as to year make model, engine etc before it connects to the car.

Hi David,

Nice to meet you.

Since you have a 1996 LT1 Corvette you currently have a OBD2 PCM. As such your current diagnostic tool reads OBD2. The LS PCM is also OBD2 as well, so the diagnostic tool will still work very well. My guess is that it can tell, on some level, the PCM it is connected to and the available PID’s that can be displayed as well as reading codes. I doubt you will have to do anything for it to start doing its thing as normal. Once you move to the LS OBD2 PCM any and all GM tuning software and diagnostic tools will function very well with it. This includes HP Tuners, EFI Live, and your OTC Nemysis.

Regards, Paul
Owner/Product Designer

Last edited by drcook; 05-16-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:33 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Ok, I'm way over my head as the brain can think to about the L48 era. So, I have a 92 LT1 with an Auto. What exactly do I need in order to replace (****-can) the Opti. Prices range from around $600 to almost $2,000. What gives?
Old 05-16-2017, 08:51 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jmgtp
Not an opti eliminator but the LTCC kit someone mentioned above is a phenomenal piece of hardware. I've had it on my car for years and it has worked flawlessly. It eliminated ignition gremlins for me by eliminating the ICM, stock coil, and the use of the high voltage side of the opti. Remember, OEM Optis have the Mitsubishi sensor which has proven very reliable and that piece of the opti is what the LTCC relies on. I've been very happy with my setup.
Yes I have had the LTCC kit for two years now. Not a single problem with it.

​​​​
Old 05-16-2017, 09:01 PM
drcook
Safety Car

The other reason I am looking into communications with the LSx PCM is emission checking. I live in an area with mandatory EPA emission checking. If their computers cannot talk to the PCM via the OBDII port, they will attempt a sniff test (I believe, at least this is the way it was with my diesel pickup, which is an 04 1/2, not an 04, identified by a nbr in the VIN). I think when the software asked them (the them are not very technically astute folks running the EPA checking station and not highly paid) whether it was a Vin 1 or a Vin 2, they probably said Vin 1. One day I reminded them it was an 04.5 and a Vin 2 and their computers magically started reading through the OBD port.

While Torqhead product is really cool and the optimum fix for the Optispark, if the car would fail EPA checking and not be able to get a new license, then the LTCC unit is the way to go.

The other advantage the T-H product has is tuning. I recently found out (had a thread about it) that it is really hard to find someone to tune a 96 LTx car, at least here in my area of Ohio. Most people told me they don't have the necessary componentry anymore (or never had).

Last edited by drcook; 05-16-2017 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
Yes I have had the LTCC kit for two years now. Not a single problem with it.

​​​​

Which kit, link please?
Old 05-16-2017, 10:23 PM
Cool Runnings
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by drcook
The other reason I am looking into communications with the LSx PCM is emission checking. I live in an area with mandatory EPA emission checking. If their computers cannot talk to the PCM via the OBDII port, they will attempt a sniff test (I believe, at least this is the way it was with my diesel pickup, which is an 04 1/2, not an 04, identified by a nbr in the VIN). I think when the software asked them (the them are not very technically astute folks running the EPA checking station and not highly paid) whether it was a Vin 1 or a Vin 2, they probably said Vin 1. One day I reminded them it was an 04.5 and a Vin 2 and their computers magically started reading through the OBD port.

While Torqhead product is really cool and the optimum fix for the Optispark, if the car would fail EPA checking and not be able to get a new license, then the LTCC unit is the way to go.

The other advantage the T-H product has is tuning. I recently found out (had a thread about it) that it is really hard to find someone to tune a 96 LTx car, at least here in my area of Ohio. Most people told me they don't have the necessary componentry anymore (or never had).

EPA emission checking on a 20 + year old car? So EPA emission checking would be required on a 1955 Chev too?

Get notified of new replies

To Opti eliminating

Old 05-16-2017, 10:55 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by lectroglide
Just picked up a very nice 95 with 83K on the clock, even tho the 95s are vented keep thinking about the "WHAT IF IT GOES BAD

With that in mind the question becomes an upgraded unit such as the DELTEG replacement and wondering if anyone here has done the conversion..............0
not saying you will, but there are many optispark dummies on here.
there are people here who will 'proactively replace' a working fine oem gen2 unit with a chinese optispark because they heard optisparks fail, then will have problems with the new non oem unit they installed).

no need to eliminate this piece of equipment. you can still find nos optisparks if you know what to look for (mitsubishi sensor).

dont be the fool that wants the $500 msd optispark that so many people here have trouble with.

heres one i found on ebay. genuine nos

http://m.ebay.com/itm/LT-1-Distributor-Optispark-NEW-GM-not-rebuilt-Its-the-holy-grail-of-Optisparks-/322514628328?hash=item4b175eaee8%3Ag%3AS fMAAOSwIQdZFhDe&_trkparms=pageci%253A702 6f847-3aab-11e7-aa0d-74dbd1803c13%257Cparentrq%253A144f603a15 c0aa415d6f2132fff9098a%257Ciid%253A4
Old 05-16-2017, 11:06 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Cool Runnings
EPA emission checking on a 20 + year old car? So EPA emission checking would be required on a 1955 Chev too?
In Summit Cty, Ohio and Cuyahoga Cty, Ohio and other counties it is 25 yrs.

SO Yes.

Do you think I would post that up if it weren't true ? In 2022 I do not have to have the car checked again. Actually it is every other year. On odd years, they do odd year cars and on even years, even. Also, regardless of year (odd/even/25 yrs or less) every time a car changes hands, it gets E-checked. Only cars that are new up to a couple years old are exempt.

We have to go to the facility, they do a visual and then machine inspection before issuing a certificate that you take with you to go get your license plates on the annual renewal.

No certificate, no plates.

http://epa.ohio.gov/dapc/mobile.aspx

there are ways around it, collector plates is one. you have to go through the steps to get them

I also want to know if I get a check engine light, that I can connect up to and diagnose the issue.

Last edited by drcook; 05-16-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:58 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,290 Posts

FWIW, in three counties in MO, they scan all OBD2 cars regardless of age. And there is no option for a tailpipe sniff test. If the scanner doesn't find the expected stock PCM, you don't pass. It doesn't matter if your car meets emissions standards at the tailpipe. So I don't see any way that a 96 C4 could pass with the LS computer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opti eliminating