C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

installing new door speakers and wires 1985

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 03:48 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist
Default installing new door speakers and wires 1985

I'm trying to install new door speakers in my 1985 Corvette. I'm completely bypassing the factory amp as it is not working anyway. I went to take it apart, got the front door panel off, and that didn't seem to get me anywhere. There's an enclosure around the speaker that I'm not sure how to get past. I can see where to put wires through from inside the car to get into the door, but I can't find where they will come out on the door side. I'll attach a pic for reference. Any help is appreciated!

Old 05-25-2017, 04:20 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
I'm trying to install new door speakers in my 1985 Corvette. I'm completely bypassing the factory amp as it is not working anyway. I went to take it apart, got the front door panel off, and that didn't seem to get me anywhere. There's an enclosure around the speaker that I'm not sure how to get past. I can see where to put wires through from inside the car to get into the door, but I can't find where they will come out on the door side. I'll attach a pic for reference. Any help is appreciated!

First off you have NOT removed the door panel but ripped the hell out of carpeted section. You need to remove all the screws around the Panel, once you get that off you can remove the 4 screws that hold in the amp. with screws out just push firmly against Amp it will fall into door with window up. Now you have Access the the wiring conduit.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 05:01 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

oh boy you have created a mess...

Just went through this over the weekend.

(1) Remove ENTIRE DOOR PANEL
(2) Remove Vapor Barrier
(3) Remove Galvanized Steel Door Insert, Just remove the 7 each 7mm bolts, and move it around to get to the speaker insert
(4) Remove the Speaker insert, 4 each bolts, also 7mm
(5) Disconnect Speaker Housing
(6) Remove Speaker Housing from said door

Hope this helps

D.
Bfenty (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by s carter
First off you have NOT removed the door panel but ripped the hell out of carpeted section. You need to remove all the screws around the Panel, once you get that off you can remove the 4 screws that hold in the amp. with screws out just push firmly against Amp it will fall into door with window up. Now you have Access the the wiring conduit.
I'm sorry, I should clarify:

This photo was taken after I put the door panel back on, when I thought that wasn't getting me anywhere. The carpet was already torn off when I bought the car, but I wanted to get the speakers installed before I replace the carpet.

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like this is more work than I expected. Thought this would be an hour long job-but what was I thinking???
Old 05-25-2017, 05:52 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
I'm sorry, I should clarify:

This photo was taken after I put the door panel back on, when I thought that wasn't getting me anywhere. The carpet was already torn off when I bought the car, but I wanted to get the speakers installed before I replace the carpet.

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like this is more work than I expected. Thought this would be an hour long job-but what was I thinking???
As NEED A VET said to do it Correctly you will need to remove the inner panel, So I would Allow 1 1/2 hours for first side (Learning curve) 1 hour for second side. in all Not a Horrible job, But Watch your Fingers Very Sharp edges on the inner Panel. It Does Not have to come completely But just up and Over. That should leave you enough room for your mission.
Bfenty (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:00 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I posted some pics of the Bose speakers and the replacements here.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html
One tip, run the new speaker wire starting from the door into the car, it will be much easier that way. If you need any other help feel free to PM me.
Bfenty (05-25-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 08:51 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

in my 86 the bose speakers were ripped out but the enclosures remain. the replacement door speakers are mounted from the outside, screwed into plastic i think. i guess they r using the oem black boxes as speaker boxes.

i didnt do the job so im not sure how the bose speakers were removed but as mentioned the boxes are still there.
Bfenty (05-27-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
in my 86 the bose speakers were ripped out but the enclosures remain. the replacement door speakers are mounted from the outside, screwed into plastic i think. i guess they r using the oem black boxes as speaker boxes.

i didnt do the job so im not sure how the bose speakers were removed but as mentioned the boxes are still there.
this is exactly what I want to do. I seem to recall you have sound deadener inside your door as well-what is it mounted to? I've got some Frost King I might put in there while I'm working on the door.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:30 PM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Figured I'd post some photos. The PO had already ripped out the carpet before I got the car. Figured I'd go ahead and fix that while I had the doors apart. The glue I used is crap-I'm going to try weldwood I think next. Also, the drivers side window now doesn't function at all, it worked before I took the door apart. Any idea what I might have done to screw it up?

Also, the Memphis 4" speakers I put in sound GREAT. It's nice to have a sound system again. Thanks to all for the help!

Passenger side completed

Driver side completed

What I started with from PO.

In progress

Get notified of new replies

To installing new door speakers and wires 1985

Quick Reply: installing new door speakers and wires 1985