C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transmission fitment question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 01:45 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Why are you distroying your car that is special to you?
Old 05-29-2017, 02:01 PM
phucking-low
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not destroying it, I am just swapping to a manual transmission and I converted the crap *** cross fire to carb. I hardly call the destroying. Sounds like the offset starter from the 1990 is the way to go then. Only thing that is important to me is the person who gave me the car and the body itself.

Last edited by phucking-low; 05-29-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:33 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

That's alot of work for a complete swap to be done correctly and function properly, no insult intended, good luck with your project. When I was looking for my first C4 I wanted an automatic, I had to many problems in my younger days with standards in muscle cars but I was hard on them. I do enjoy shifting the auto up and down thru the gears.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:10 PM
TimV SR
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I swapped the auto for a ZF 6-speed in my '90 last year. Did some minor wrenching before, but never tried anything like this.
Here are a couple of thoughts I have:

The project went over budget, but I'm glad I did it.

I used a Ram dual-disc clutch and hydraulic throw out bearing after having trouble finding parts for the factory set-up. My car has a 396 stroker making 530HP/480ft.lbs and this clutch is supposed to be good to 700HP. The clutch works well and has a light pedal.

I read all the discussions here I could find before starting and all showed glassing in the tunnel cut-out. I found an easier way: I bought a cut-out from a Corvette salvage yard and it was large enough to overlap my tunnel. I placed it on the tunnel in the right place, traced around it, and cut the hole an inch smaller all the way around. I used sealer and screwed in into place. If I ever need to pull the trans, this piece is removable to give additional clearance.

I had to lift/tip the engine to reach the upper bell housing bolts.

My back-up light switch was bad and I wished I would have checked it while the transmission was on the bench. The hydraulic throw out bearing gave me extra room to change the switch, but it would have been difficult had I used a factory slave cylinder.

Exotic Muscle had speedo gears for the ZF with 410 gears which my car has. The speedo is close, but not exactly right. The gears were expensive.

I got help from a couple of very knowledgeable guys who were generous with their time. I greatly appreciate their help. WVZR-1 was one.

Quick Reply: Transmission fitment question