C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Window Sweeps

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 03:08 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Default Window Sweeps

So Im to the point where Ive worked up enough courage to take this project on.... Despite all the posts saying that is was extremely difficult.

I have my new GM replacements on the way.

What can I expect to encounter while I have the door panel off? What else should I look at replacing, greasing, etc.? What will I probably break?

Thanks!!
Old 05-29-2017, 04:21 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Ok, it is not difficult, just a PITA. Frankly there are alot of jobs worse that this one

Allow more time than you think as this is a "slow but sure job." Mine took 10 hours, BUT I got sidelined with extra "pop up" projects. Taping lines, adding foam insulation, painting screw tops, fixing the fiberglass on door panels and friends over for beers who distracted me. Really allow about 2-3 hours per side.

Follow your process in the FSM. It is really very accurate.

Everything will come apart pretty simple and be careful with the plastic clips- don't force anything.

Put some painters tape on the outside of your door right along the old sweep. It will protect the paint.

I did both doors at the same time following the FSM. I found it to be helpfull to do the same process to both at the same time.

You will drill the rivets out. Your rivet backing WILL fall behind the frame ledge. I squirted some crazy glue through the rivet hole to trap the rivet backing. If you don't get them out, they will fall down and rattle.

Tape your drill bit about 1/8 of an inch up from the point. Use this as a guide so you don't drill too far.

Lube up the inside of the sweep and the door with WD40 when you reassemble. It will make it much easier. Get a decent pop rivet gun.

I'll enclose a picture of my effort. Absolutely worth the effort- Note the FSM on the top of the car!
Attached Images  

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 05-29-2017 at 04:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by billschroeder5842:
81c3 (05-30-2017), gman35 (06-01-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 11:50 AM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Be careful removing the door panels. it's easy to break the top lip supports and then you end up needing new panels.
The following 2 users liked this post by belairbrian:
81c3 (05-30-2017), gman35 (06-01-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 12:13 PM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just did my 89 sweeps and they really were a pita!! They were hard to get out, drilling the rivets out was the easy part. You want to be careful about putting pressure on them when they are up against the window, I was so afraid I was going to break the window trying to pull these up, they kept bending. loosen the window anti rattle clips to allow some window movement. Getting in the new ones is equally hard, as the clips don't like to go into the holes equally as when I pushed on in, the other would pop out, so had to keep starting over. Take your time and have a beer or two.
The following users liked this post:
81c3 (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 05:08 PM
lltrevino
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahnenerbe
I just did my 89 sweeps and they really were a pita!! They were hard to get out, drilling the rivets out was the easy part. You want to be careful about putting pressure on them when they are up against the window, I was so afraid I was going to break the window trying to pull these up, they kept bending. loosen the window anti rattle clips to allow some window movement. Getting in the new ones is equally hard, as the clips don't like to go into the holes equally as when I pushed on in, the other would pop out, so had to keep starting over. Take your time and have a beer or two.

or 6
Old 05-30-2017, 06:34 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Ok, it is not difficult, just a PITA. Frankly there are alot of jobs worse that this one

Allow more time than you think as this is a "slow but sure job." Mine took 10 hours, BUT I got sidelined with extra "pop up" projects. Taping lines, adding foam insulation, painting screw tops, fixing the fiberglass on door panels and friends over for beers who distracted me. Really allow about 2-3 hours per side.

Follow your process in the FSM. It is really very accurate.

Everything will come apart pretty simple and be careful with the plastic clips- don't force anything.

Put some painters tape on the outside of your door right along the old sweep. It will protect the paint.

I did both doors at the same time following the FSM. I found it to be helpfull to do the same process to both at the same time.

You will drill the rivets out. Your rivet backing WILL fall behind the frame ledge. I squirted some crazy glue through the rivet hole to trap the rivet backing. If you don't get them out, they will fall down and rattle.

Tape your drill bit about 1/8 of an inch up from the point. Use this as a guide so you don't drill too far.

Lube up the inside of the sweep and the door with WD40 when you reassemble. It will make it much easier. Get a decent pop rivet gun.

I'll enclose a picture of my effort. Absolutely worth the effort- Note the FSM on the top of the car!
Thanks for the pointers. I do have the FSM and I do have all the time needed. I am no rush at all. The car is just a pleasure use vehicle. I have a good pop rivet gun.

Few questions:
1.What is the rivet size Ill need?
2.What other parts are wear items that may need replacement?
3.If I do the inner and outer sweeps, will the window still line up in the closed position?
Old 05-31-2017, 05:37 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I certainly wouldn't sweat this repair. Now if your heater core goes out, then its time to worry
Old 05-31-2017, 06:14 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
Thanks for the pointers. I do have the FSM and I do have all the time needed. I am no rush at all. The car is just a pleasure use vehicle. I have a good pop rivet gun.

Few questions:
1.What is the rivet size Ill need?
2.What other parts are wear items that may need replacement?
3.If I do the inner and outer sweeps, will the window still line up in the closed position?
Rivet size will relly not matter. standard size or the one supplied.
Nothing needs to be replaced that wears
Yes, everythign will align as long as you don't move the tracks. Now, your new sweeps will push against the glass until it ages, softens and conforms. Very normal.
81c3 (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 09:34 PM
oldspeedr
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree. Not difficult. Both doors took a little over 2 hours. Go easy on the snap out/pry out pieces like the lamp over the inner handle. Rivets were easy. Pull the old sweep straight up.
81c3 (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 10:30 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,447 Posts

if u do inner, the staples are the hardest part. i used a dremel to cut them in the middle and then a flat blade to pry each side up enough to yoink with plyers.
i riveted them to the plastick using a medium sized rivet.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:11 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Highly recommend replacing the window guides while at it, then tend to go and easy job to do when the door panels are off.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:21 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bac22
Highly recommend replacing the window guides while at it, then tend to go and easy job to do when the door panels are off.
Are those the fuzzy deals??
Old 06-01-2017, 11:59 AM
85vegasvette
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I just used screws where the rivets where piece of cake
Old 06-02-2017, 05:22 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
Are those the fuzzy deals??
No they control angle of the window lower in the door. They crack and break apart over time making your window go up at the wrong angle as they close.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/cor...-window-glass/

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1993-1996.html
Old 06-02-2017, 08:38 AM
Chrly919
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The rivets in the middle of my passenger door sweep don't hold, so it lifts up about 1/8" when the window is up. There is another problem I want to fix while I'm in there on both sides. If the window is rolled down at all it make an awful racket when you close the door. What do I need to get while I'm in there?
Old 06-02-2017, 02:43 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bac22
No they control angle of the window lower in the door. They crack and break apart over time making your window go up at the wrong angle as they close.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/cor...-window-glass/

I don't think I have those on my 86.....
Old 06-02-2017, 04:09 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I have read where a few have drilled through the door drilling out the rivets. Having not replaced them, I don't know if that's easy or hard to do.

Here's a tip from woodworking: use a drill stop. Some are adjustable and put them on the bit and tighten then down so you can't drill too deep. Another method is to take a small piece of wood about as long as the bit and drill a hole through it. Now cut it off so only the amount of drill bit you want is exposed and slip it over the bit. Either method prevents you from drilling too deep and hitting something you didn't intend to.

Get notified of new replies

To Window Sweeps

Old 06-04-2017, 12:46 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Got them done today... man my finger tips are sore!! The inners were in excellent shape, so I left well enough alone and only did the outsides.... they were literally crumbling to pieces as I was removing them.... and thats on a 34k mile car!!

As far as the job goes..... it wasn't as bad as I figured it would be. I only managed to break the ground wire lead to the wiper switch for the light bulb.... I fixed that.

Other than that, it was all fairly straight forward. Getting the new ones clipped in was the hardest part of the whole job. Took me about 45 minutes each side just for that... Tearing everything apart was only about 30 minutes per side.... I took the time to lube the door lock lock and door opener rod contact points and joints. Cleaned everything up inside the doors and the regulators as well. I used white assembly lube for everything.

The only bad side effect is that when the windows are raised, they push on the weather strip and distort it somewhat on both sides. Opening then closing the door with the window up fixes the issue. I'm hoping that with some time and sunshine, that will stop.

Otherwise, they look outstanding!
Old 06-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Ahnenerbe
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad they are done, it doesn't look like it would be a hard job at all, but I was sure fooled. Don't want to do that again for a long time.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:46 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ahnenerbe
Glad they are done, it doesn't look like it would be a hard job at all, but I was sure fooled. Don't want to do that again for a long time.
Amen to that brother!

Quick Reply: Window Sweeps