C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Keys, Lock and anti theft???

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 03:52 PM
funtoy
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Keys, Lock and anti theft???

Hello Everyone,

Its been a year and I'm almost ready to get my car back on the road.
One thing i've neglected in the process is the keys. I have an ignition key and nothing else. No door keys.

Is there a chip in the original ignition key? Should there be a key fab with this car since it is 1985? I understand there is no Vats in this car, therefore what would be the best aftermarket security I could install?

Thanks again

Old 06-02-2017, 03:57 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

'85 wasn't VATS so there's no chips. You can get a door key using the center console cylinder pin/tumbler selection if the center console is using the original code. You need the services of someone that "understands" what he's doing. The storage compartments and center console don't use a full compliment of tumblers/pins.

Do you know that the doors are original to the car?

You want to make sure whoever you solicit for the task does "understand". If they don't find someone that does. By '85 I believe that GM had removed all of the codes from the original cylinders. IHBD an '85 NCRS guy might actually know and he'll likely stop by this evening. (IHBD - I Hate Barking Dogs).

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-02-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:03 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Most qualified locksmiths are able to make a key off a cylinder. You could also remove the lock from the center console and see if there's a number on it, might be able to get one that way. If you have one ignition key, obviously another can be made from that.
One other obvious solution is to replace the door cylinders with new ones that include a key but that's a lot of work.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:00 PM
funtoy
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks so far everyone.

I was actually considering changing the cylinders with new ones. I was wondering cost benefit vs cost of a locksmith. Around here in Philadelphia area locksmiths are high $$.

hcbph you said it alot of work, anything specific I should look out for while removing door panels, window tracks etc??
Old 06-02-2017, 08:07 PM
Tod Stiles
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by funtoy
Thanks so far everyone.

I was actually considering changing the cylinders with new ones. I was wondering cost benefit vs cost of a locksmith. Around here in Philadelphia area locksmiths are high $$.

hcbph you said it alot of work, anything specific I should look out for while removing door panels, window tracks etc??
Did this, not so bad. You pull the door panel off, disconnect the linkage to the door handle and lock tumbler. I guess the worst part is getting the linkages off and back on. Takes a little time but it's all pretty straight forward. I did all the lock tumblers and the ignition lock in an afternoon.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:27 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by funtoy
No Vettes, but have done it on 2 cars and a truck in the past. Biggest thing in getting the door panels off along with the connectors on the various linkages without breaking anything. Getting your hands into the various spots along with unhooking, replacing and rehooking everything up was a real pain for me. The smaller the persons body is along with being limber makes it easier. In fact one I had to have the neighbors kid help me because I wasn't able to reach what I needed without a total teardown of the door.

Can it be done - yes, is it a real pain - absolutely. It can be done just allow yourself plenty of time and have good instructions on how to get the various pieces apart.

One more thing, make sure everything works properly before reassembling the doors. It's very frustrating to go through all that work then find out you've incorrectly assembled some linkage etc. - DAMHIK.

Last edited by hcbph; 06-03-2017 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:25 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Good insurance policy, MAX coverage. I had a dealer cut me an ignition key from vin. # for a Buick. It is worth a try.

Get notified of new replies

To Keys, Lock and anti theft???

Quick Reply: Keys, Lock and anti theft???