C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 to lt1 performance tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 07:58 AM
mcdonaldheat
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L98 to lt1 performance tune

Ok, I have been working on this for some time now but I finally got it working. I converted my engine to a lt1 setup. It is running, the only thing is at idle it is burning very rich. I need a tune as I also installed a hot cam. Question is, where is best place to do a mail order type tune?
Thanks
Old 06-06-2017, 09:40 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 846 Posts

Originally Posted by mcdonaldheat
Question is, where is best place to do a mail order type tune?
What's that? I've never heard of a "mail order" tune?
Old 06-06-2017, 09:52 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Me either !!! lol - many steps to a good mail order - like a bride ??? lol greg
Old 06-06-2017, 09:52 AM
mcdonaldheat
Advanced

it's where you send your chip to someone like pcmfor less with all your specs on your engine. They program it and send it back. I don't know how well it works.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:58 AM
mcdonaldheat
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks
Me either !!! lol - many steps to a good mail order - like a bride ??? lol greg
I've heard and read it's better than just getting like a hypertech chip. No where close to me to get a custom tune. Mail order brides could also be efficient and perform well. Haha
Old 06-06-2017, 10:04 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

I've heard and read it's better than just getting like a hypertech chip. No where close to me to get a custom tune. Mail order brides could also be efficient and perform well. Haha
HA for sure - call me and I'll tell all !!!!!!!! LOL
Old 06-06-2017, 10:36 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 846 Posts

Sorry, I don't see the difference between sending your chip to be reflashed or just buying a hypetech chip?

What am I missing?
Old 06-06-2017, 10:53 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 468 Likes on 370 Posts

Ok, I have been working on this for some time now but I finally got it working. I converted my engine to a lt1 setup. It is running, the only thing is at idle it is burning very rich. I need a tune as I also installed a hot cam. Question is, where is best place to do a mail order type tune?
Thanks
I have no idea why everyone is giving you such a hard time. TPIS, PCM for less, and others can burn you a chip. Do a search and you will find some places.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:17 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,021 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

PCMforless, Ed Wright

You would be better off running a wideband O2 and getting the WOT tune on a dyno, that part is fairly quick. Its the part-throttle tuning that will take more work so you can drive it.

If you plan to send it off to do it all, give them all information on the engine and go ahead and get DataMaster for your laptop so you can record data and send back to them to finely tune the engine.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:49 PM
mcdonaldheat
Advanced

Originally Posted by vader86
PCMforless, Ed Wright

You would be better off running a wideband O2 and getting the WOT tune on a dyno, that part is fairly quick. Its the part-throttle tuning that will take more work so you can drive it.

If you plan to send it off to do it all, give them all information on the engine and go ahead and get DataMaster for your laptop so you can record data and send back to them to finely tune the engine.
Thanks so much, this is the info I was looking for. Pcmforless has the engine spec sheet on their website to submit for the tuner. I gonna try to find the datamaster.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:54 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

that will help you and save frustration
Tom @Wongs performance has some good ones on file also
believe hes still a member here had good dealings over the yrs
Old 06-06-2017, 05:06 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by bjankuski
I have no idea why everyone is giving you such a hard time.
..... especially from a 2004 vendor? Really?

PCM4Less has been the "go-to", most longterm "visible" mail-order tune vendor on this site. Been around for more than 10 years. I would choose them over TPIS (based on the level of complaints). Yes, not everyone is happy/successful relying on remote tuning service. Wongs is good too.

Moates sells the tuning equipment that you could use to "piggyback/replace" the stock factory chip. Learning how to burn, replace, install a chip (ECM under right side of dash) would benefit you. For example, I'd be inclined to look at a factory BIN for an LT1 car and compare it to the L98 setup.

The longtube intake has very different airflow characteristics than an LT1 intake -- which will account for as much difference as your performance cam. It's good advice to consider a wideband.

The Thirdgen website has waaay better primers, organization, and information on tuning basics. In short, they have a dedication section for tuning. That's another place you should consider as a starting point for 80's GM tuning guidance.

What year is your car?
Old 06-06-2017, 06:30 PM
mcdonaldheat
Advanced

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN

PCM4Less has been the "go-to", most longterm "visible" mail-order tune vendor on this site. Been around for more than 10 years. I would choose them over TPIS (based on the level of complaints). Yes, not everyone is happy/successful relying on remote tuning service. Wongs is good too.

Moates sells the tuning equipment that you could use to "piggyback/replace" the stock factory chip. Learning how to burn, replace, install a chip (ECM under right side of dash) would benefit you. For example, I'd be inclined to look at a factory BIN for an LT1 car and compare it to the L98 setup.

The longtube intake has very different airflow characteristics than an LT1 intake -- which will account for as much difference as your performance cam. It's good advice to consider a wideband.

The Thirdgen website has waaay better primers, organization, and information on tuning basics. In short, they have a dedication section for tuning. That's another place you should consider as a starting point for 80's GM tuning guidance.

What year is your car?
It is a 86. I would love to go with Moates but I do not know if I could tune it myself. I would like to know how just seems like alot of parameters that I know nothing about.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:55 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks
What ECM are you using?

-- Joe
Old 06-07-2017, 10:01 AM
mcdonaldheat
Advanced

Originally Posted by anesthes
What ECM are you using?

-- Joe
Stock
Old 06-07-2017, 10:14 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN

What year is your car?
There is almost nothing in a LT1 bin that would translate over to $32B on his 86.

Off the top of my head, he's going to need to adjust his AE vs tps settings, some minor changes to his MAF tables.

I'd probably put ARAP on it ($6E) and start from there. That was the 'hot' 1989 L98 tune.

-- Joe
Old 06-07-2017, 10:55 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 468 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by anesthes
There is almost nothing in a LT1 bin that would translate over to $32B on his 86.

Off the top of my head, he's going to need to adjust his AE vs tps settings, some minor changes to his MAF tables.

I'd probably put ARAP on it ($6E) and start from there. That was the 'hot' 1989 L98 tune.

-- Joe
I agree with you on the tune changes, but I personally like $32B better the $6E but either will work fine with AE changes and some minor tweaking of fuel and spark.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 to lt1 performance tune

Old 06-07-2017, 11:18 AM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Tuning Options

> You can try me: greg @ BlowerWorks.net
> For the most part (whether L98 & LTx) I want you to buy the Moates Ostrich and the datalogging cable. I prefer the you log and we edit so we get it right and you learn how to do on your own. A one shot tune we can do but is rough-certainly a good start - particularly if changing out injectors. No matter we can discuss. What I want to stress here is the enormous capability of the GM ECM's whether L98 or LTx. In most cases more powerful than most aftermarket once given the incredible software available to us today from TunerCat & TunerPro !!!
> If you own a L98 I might try to sell you a new slot style MAF sensor ... have 3 to choose from... all the way up to 1000 gm/sec i.e., well over 600 RWHP. Absolutely no reason to go S/D over MAF once you try a new slot style MAF !!! MAF much more forgiving !
> If an LTx I have done many tunes but I hope you'll see the wisdom of the "back & forth" over the one shot mail order !!!!!!!
So call me to discuss your options !!!
Old 06-07-2017, 11:26 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

hope you'll see the wisdom of the "back & forth" over the one shot mail order !!!!!!!

op this takes more time but worth it. Make sure yours is in as good of running order as possible first, no vacuum leaks etc.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

I call it "Guess a tune".

Quick Reply: L98 to lt1 performance tune