C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tight fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 01:58 PM
geb@abq
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tight fit

Anyone ever try to make more foot room in the C4 ? Like, remove the "dead pedal", cut and redo fiberglass in floorpan? I know that this exercise may be counter productive, but my only other option is to sell the car, and they really ain't worth much of nothing. My 6-3, 230 pound son with size 13 feet is simply too uncomfortable in the car to drive it. Any suggestions? Surely others have encountered this. I know the C5 is a lot "roomier" in the floor area.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:13 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I'm 6'4", 220 and have 13D feet so I know the issues. Now it depends on whether you have an automatic or manual - mine is a manual.

First adjust the seat to the best position along with the wheel. In mine the seat is back and low, steering wheel in the mid position, closest to the dash.

Look at the shoes he's wearing. Some running or sneakers have thick soles that extend beyond the sides of the shoes, that makes it difficult to work the pedals as you can hang up getting your foot on and off the pedals. Dress type shoes typically have thinner and narrower soles and fit better.

Now for the best solution, drive barefoot or shoeless, that's what I prefer. Easy to get your feet on and off the pedals, you get better feel of what's going on with the driving experience.

Hope that helps. That's my solution for the best driving experience.

Last edited by hcbph; 06-10-2017 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:45 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

Default Too Tall for an American Car?

I am 6'4" and wear a size 12 EEEE and I fit in my 1988 C4 Coupe. Getting in and out may be a bit tight but once in there it is great.
My son is 6'6" and wears a size 15 EEEE shoe, he prefers the C3 but will happily drive the C4 when he has a chance.

I do not have the upgrade seats in my 88 so that might make a difference. Those "sport" seats have more bolstering than the plain Jane's do.

The plain 1988 coupe is very comfortable on trips.

Having long feet is always a problem, they just learn to deal with it in most cases.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:56 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I'm not your son's size but I do have wide feet and will step on my own feet driving the C4 M6. Needless to say, it's not fun to step on my own feet while driving a manual transmission.

So I drive with bare feet or sock feet as often as possible. Not only does it give my feet more room, but it gives me a better feel of the pedals which helps driving the M6.

Sometimes if I'm just driving the 1/4 mile from the supermarket to my house, I may leave the shoes on if I am not in the mood to take them off. But nearly all the time I will take my shoes off.

Get notified of new replies

To Tight fit

Quick Reply: Tight fit