C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 Corvette LT1 AC Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 05:33 PM
hailster
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Corvette LT1 AC Leak

My AC hasn't been working lately so I checked the system over and discovered a leak on the low side port( I believe it was the low side port but I am not 100% certain). I charged the system but heard another leak, I believe it is on the AC evaporator and blower motor module. It looks like someone else noticed a leak in this area and attempted to patch it. Could it be patched better and buy me some time until winter when I'd rather work on it since the car is stored anyways?

If not, is this something that I can replace on my own and then take in to get the system evacuated and charged? Or can I replace it and just charge it on my own? Is it a difficult job to do or should I just take it in and have them replace the part?

Thanks for any advice on this.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:37 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Are you sure that the AC lines are leaking there? The black, sticky stuff was put there at the factory to seal up where the AC lines go into the heater box.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:48 PM
hailster
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It felt like the leak was coming from where the arrow is pointing to, where it looks like the two sides are separating.
I will toss some soapy water on it tonight and verify that there is a leak there but I felt it with my hand and heard it so I am certain that there is a leak there.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:28 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

The black box is only a plastic box (housing) that only holds the evaporator. There is no pressure in that box and you will not see any leak. The box is designed in 2 pieces so the evaporator can be removed out of it. As said the sticky stuff is to hold air in the box so the cool air will not leak out.

Most leaks cannot be heard but if you can actually hear it, it's a monster leak.

Replacing the evaporator is a big job that requires special tools and a knowledge of A/C building the system back where you can add Freon.

Unless you have a leak detector or have dye in the system and have viewed it with a UV light, you really don’t know where the leak is.

I suggest you go to a good A/C shop and get a free estimate of what the problem is and then you're have real data and a direction of what to do next.

If the evaporator was bad, you could replace and then have a shop evacuate and charge it. But they won't guarantee the work you did or the part.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 Corvette LT1 AC Leak

Quick Reply: 96 Corvette LT1 AC Leak