C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Headlights Rock In Place Once Turned Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:33 PM
champdawgyy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlights Rock In Place Once Turned Off

When I turn off my headlights on my '93, the lights will continue to rock back and forth for 4 or 5 seconds. They don't flip back and forth, but they rock in place.

Anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:33 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by champdawgyy
When I turn off my headlights on my '93, the lights will continue to rock back and forth for 4 or 5 seconds. They don't flip back and forth, but they rock in place.

Anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance.
Odd's are The Clutch Bushing have gone to Dust. Not a Bad job if your a Bit Handy with the tools, if it's just the Bushings it's about $20.00+- two Hour job.

Question do you have a white dust on top of your frame just under the Headlights, if so confirmed there dust.

If the gears have stripped either inside the cup or outside of it that can cost a bit more depending on if you use the plastic gears or Bronze.

Last edited by s carter; 06-12-2017 at 06:21 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cjunkie (06-14-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 09:24 PM
A Peter C4
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Sounds like the pucks have eaten themselves, time to replace them and lube gears, not a bad job. Youtube has alot of info, or forum search.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:07 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

That's exactly what mine were doing, and it was indeed the little bushings/pucks/pills that had turned into dust. I went ahead and replaced the gears too, although they probably could have been reused. I don't think I see a need for the bronze gears, since the bushings wear out before the plastic gears anyway. Besides, the plastic gears probably serve as a mechanical "fusible link", in that they strip first before the linkage or motors get fried if the headlights get stuck closed by snow/ice or whatever.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:55 AM
MrJoelieC
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
That's exactly what mine were doing, and it was indeed the little bushings/pucks/pills that had turned into dust. I went ahead and replaced the gears too, although they probably could have been reused. I don't think I see a need for the bronze gears, since the bushings wear out before the plastic gears anyway. Besides, the plastic gears probably serve as a mechanical "fusible link", in that they strip first before the linkage or motors get fried if the headlights get stuck closed by snow/ice or whatever.

The other reasons for sticking with plastic are they are cheaper and I figured the plastic ones lasted for 20+ years anyway....

It's just about a 2 hour job... The only real difficult part is removing the linchpin.... That Thing is a pain in ***!!!
Old 06-14-2017, 09:59 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJoelieC
It's just about a 2 hour job... The only real difficult part is removing the linchpin.... That Thing is a pain in ***!!!
5/32" pin punch gets the job done quickly.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by s carter
Odd's are The Clutch Bushing have gone to Dust. Not a Bad job if your a Bit Handy with the tools, if it's just the Bushings it's about $20.00+- two Hour job.

Question do you have a white dust on top of your frame just under the Headlights, if so confirmed there dust.

If the gears have stripped either inside the cup or outside of it that can cost a bit more depending on if you use the plastic gears or Bronze.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPj1kJm4AnU
Great how-to video

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights Rock In Place Once Turned Off

Quick Reply: Headlights Rock In Place Once Turned Off