C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What is R12a? Anyone using it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 07:54 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts
Default What is R12a? Anyone using it?

I thought R12 was restricted to like, NASA scientists or something.. But I was looking on Amazon and saw R12a. It is billed as a direct replacement.

Is it any good? Anyone use it?

I know the R134 is popular now, but the molecule is smaller and it can cause leaks in cases where R12 would not. (I'm told hoses can become permeable and such if they aren't tip, top perfect.)

Is there a downside to the R12a and maybe that is why I'm not hearing everyone talking about using it to replace R12?

Any help is welcome.. I'm lost on these things.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:50 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

What year is your car?

If your system was designed for R12, you can use it with no issue. If your system was designed for 134, then use that.

Some systems were originally R12 and then were converted to use 134. The conversions work reasonably well, bu not as good with the R12.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:05 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
What year is your car?

If your system was designed for R12, you can use it with no issue. If your system was designed for 134, then use that.

Some systems were originally R12 and then were converted to use 134. The conversions work reasonably well, bu not as good with the R12.
Mine is an 85, designed for R12, I believe.

Someone mentioned one of these replacements being highly flammable. Is this the one? Is there a downside to it? Because all I see people doing with the old systems is converting them to 134, and often at considerable expense.

Why are they doing that if R12a is a direct replacement? Anyone?
Old 06-18-2017, 09:32 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
I thought R12 was restricted to like, NASA scientists or something.. But I was looking on Amazon and saw R12a. It is billed as a direct replacement.

Is it any good? Anyone use it?

I know the R134 is popular now, but the molecule is smaller and it can cause leaks in cases where R12 would not. (I'm told hoses can become permeable and such if they aren't tip, top perfect.)

Is there a downside to the R12a and maybe that is why I'm not hearing everyone talking about using it to replace R12?

Any help is welcome.. I'm lost on these things.
Hi
R12 is just R12, not sure why the "a" is there.
R134A can be used however you will need the quick connect R134A fittings so everyone will know right away what refrigerant it has, they are cheap on ebay and screw right on to the standard R12 fittings.

R134A will need barrier type hoses, try your originals first they may be ok.

Empty all the oil from your compressor, replace with ESTER oil which is for R12 to R134A conversions. Good idea to replace all the rubber O rings To the new green / blue neoprene ones unless your system does not leak.

Replace the receiver drier, evacuate the system and charge to 80% of R12 charge with R134A.

Have done my 85 more than 10 years ago, no leaks all standard apart from new hoses and neoprene o rings.
She has nice cold a/c
The following users liked this post:
knikula (06-20-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 11:20 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

R12a is a "drop in" replacement for R12, but IS NOT the same. It is a mix if different refrigerants (sometimes propane, hence the flammable concern) that will work in a system designed for R12. If your system just needs a top off charge of a few oz. the R12a would be OK, but if your system is "flat" and has 0 psi standing pressure I would find and repair the leaks then find a shop that can charge your system with R12.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:59 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Another thought to keep in mind is what happens if your vehicle is involved in an accident. The A/C condenser sits right in front of the radiator and contains high pressure refrigerant vapor and liquid. If the condenser is ruptured in a frontal collision (which it often is), high pressure flammable vapor will be released, almost guaranteeing an underhood fire!

Do you really want to risk your life or the lives of your passengers by using a cheap flammable refrigerant in your vehicle's air conditioning system? R-134a is the only refrigerant that should be used when recharging a late model automotive A/C system.
EPA SNAP Rules on Flammable Refrigerants

The US EPA SNAP regulations do NOT allow the use of flammable refrigerants in vehicles.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/flamma...frigerants.htm
This is scaring me a little bit.

Think I'll just do the R134 after all.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:00 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Thanks to all for your assistance!

The forum is a fantastic resource.

Get notified of new replies

To What is R12a? Anyone using it?

Quick Reply: What is R12a? Anyone using it?