C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I need a wiring wizard

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 01:39 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Default I need a wiring wizard

Let me say right off that wiring and I do not fare well together. I'm having a converter lockup issue. The converter does lock but it is just not right. Can anyone tell me where the wire in the "F" terminal of the aldl goes? By continuity testing it goes to B8 in the ecm. My car is an '85 but I upgraded to the 165 ecm. The wire in the B8 position is gray, it is supposed to be green/white and is supposed to go the a/c circuit. If someone can tell me where the "F" terminal wire goes I can most likely figure the rest out myself. I should add, I do have the fsm, ('85) and I have been all over it so if that information is in there I passed right over it.

Last edited by Midnight 85; 06-21-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:14 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Let me say right off that wiring and I do not fare well together. I'm having a converter lockup issue. The converter does lock but it is just not right. Can anyone tell me where the wire in the "F" terminal of the aldl goes? By continuity testing it goes to B8 in the ecm. My car is an '85 but I upgraded to the 165 ecm. The wire in the B8 position is gray, it is supposed to be green/white and is supposed to go the a/c circuit. If someone can tell me where the "F" terminal wire goes I can most likely figure the rest out myself. I should add, I do have the fsm, ('85) and I have been all over it so if that information is in there I passed right over it.
I used an '87 FSM for reference and ALDL F is TAN/BLK and goes to A7 at the ECM and D on the TCC.

From an '87 FSM

Name:  '87 TCC 165 ECM.png
Views: 771
Size:  38.3 KB

That seems to be the same as an '85. Look in your FSM 6E3-124 That should be CHART C-8 TCC (422 is noted as TAN/BLK in the wiring diagrams)

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-21-2017 at 02:30 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:35 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

I found the same thing but I cannot trust the fsm, there are at least 3 wires that in my original harness are not the color the fsm says they are. I compared my harness with an uncut used harness Jay had at Vette2Vette and my harness matched the one he has. He then told me that Gordon Killebrew told him that he told GM of the discrepancies in the unpublished fsm but GM printed them anyway. My concern is if I were to move the wire that shows continuity from B8 to the A7 terminal, what am I going to ruin if that is a wrong move?
Old 06-21-2017, 06:55 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I found the same thing but I cannot trust the fsm, there are at least 3 wires that in my original harness are not the color the fsm says they are. I compared my harness with an uncut used harness Jay had at Vette2Vette and my harness matched the one he has. He then told me that Gordon Killebrew told him that he told GM of the discrepancies in the unpublished fsm but GM printed them anyway. My concern is if I were to move the wire that shows continuity from B8 to the A7 terminal, what am I going to ruin if that is a wrong move?
I compared several Corvette, Camaro etc TPI and they all show what I mentioned. If you did the change to the 165 then I'd think you retained the information. Is your problem "self-inflicted"? Maybe

The he said - he told him and he told me doesn't seem to hold much water! You're the guy with the problem

Post your pin-outs NOW! WHAT 3 do you feel are in error?

I'm accustomed to seeing B8 in AC signal and being GREEN/WHT usually or whatever

Compare yours to these and mention your differences. I ain't sayin' these are correct but I know many that have built harnesses using the information.

http://chevythunder.com/fuel%20injec...%20pinouts.htm

I have "all year" C4 FSM and I doubt that even IF GK mentioned errors they went undocumented/unchanged in future publications. GK is responsible for much "hear-say/Internet lore"

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-21-2017 at 07:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Red 91 (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 07:13 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

I could have and as a matter of fact, did make mistakes when I did the upgrade, BUT B8 is not one of the wires that was involved in that. Let's say I did put the wrong wire in B8, why is the wire that comes from aldl terminal F gray when it is supposed to be tan/black? That is why I need to know where the wire in Term. F goes to regardless of color. If that wire truly does go to A7 then that is one more color mistake I have found in the fsm. The aldl wiring has never been touched. I'm going to have to get the car up on jacks and see what I can find in the tcc connector on the trans and also see if I can find the green/white wire coming from the a/c wiring that is supposed to be in B8
Old 06-21-2017, 08:03 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

I could have and as a matter of fact, did make mistakes when I did the upgrade, BUT B8 is not one of the wires that was involved in that. Let's say I did put the wrong wire in B8, why is the wire that comes from aldl terminal F gray when it is supposed to be tan/black? That is why I need to know where the wire in Term. F goes to regardless of color. If that wire truly does go to A7 then that is one more color mistake I have found in the fsm. The aldl wiring has never been touched. I'm going to have to get the car up on jacks and see what I can find in the tcc connector on the trans and also see if I can find the green/white wire coming from the a/c wiring that is supposed to be in B8
Was this car ever a 4+ MT/OD? Never mind - I had trouble ID wire 903 to ALDL but I've found it and it's also noted as being TAN/BLK. In '85 it wasn't actually ALDL, it was ALCL still. ALCL - Assembly Line Communications Link

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-21-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

That's what has me puzzled, there is a tan/black wire in A7 BUT, it does NOT show continuity to F on the alcl. F as I said shows continuity to B8. I'm going out now to get under the car and trace from there, probably won't be back on here until later tonight.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:02 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

I have good contact with all wires at all components now and I put a new lockup solenoid in just in case the other one was weak. I'll finish it up tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:13 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

A note on wire colors: the electrons going through the wires don't care what color the insulation is. The main thing is that the wires connect to the correct places.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:01 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

You are correct, but can you imagine how confused a electrical dummy like me could get really screwed up? If it weren't for my multimeter I would still be scratching my head. One instance I recall was the fsm calling for a green wire when the wire that showed continuity was brown. I had the same thing that involved a gray wire but I can't remember now what that was.

Get notified of new replies

To I need a wiring wizard

Quick Reply: I need a wiring wizard