C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Another spark plug question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 06:28 AM
bigc55
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another spark plug question...

Good morning.

I have purchased NGK Iridium IX Plugs (TR55IX) for my '93 vette.

I've heard (and read) various information on these plugs. Are these good plugs to use in my '93? Or should I stick with ACDelco Platinums?

If I stick with he NGKs what do I need to set the gap at? Again, read various information on this.

If I decide on the ACDelcos what's that gap?

I already have the NGKs but a mechanic told me to stick with the Delcos so now a bit confused.

Thanks for the info.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:08 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

Ummm your both a lil off. Take the Iridiums back and get the regular V Powers TR55's. Nothing wrong with the AC Delcos but the NGK is a lil better plug.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:52 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I think you should stick with stock gap unless you have done something radical and your builder advises different. I really don't like the long lasting plugs since it might be years before you pull them and dissimilar metals corrode and well...... I get the cheap stock ones or V Power TR55 if I want and change them annually. Prevents seizing up and lets me check if it is oil fouled.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:58 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

I agree about the "checking plugs" to a point.

For my daily driver cars i use the AC delco double platinum, but those cars were also designed for them.

the plugs are also a bit of a pita to change in those cars... Doing it every 60k is a ok with me...

The vette is a different story, mostly because I'm still building it up, and still building the tune.
i change and inspect those plugs often...

Once it's all setup, i would like to run a longer life plug... Right now i have to pretty much unbolt the headers on the driver side to get at the #5 plug.

Atleast that keeps fresh antiseize on the threads...

Get notified of new replies

To Another spark plug question...

Quick Reply: Another spark plug question...