C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Removing my auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 11:50 PM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing my auto trans

I have my engine out and my trans supported by a lift, still in the car. I want to remove the trans but this is my first time. Can anyone give me a quick run down on the simplest way to get it out?

Being that it's on a scissor lift, can it be dropped still filled with fluid?

Any issues with cooler lines and dipstick?

Last edited by Powerstroked89; 06-25-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:26 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Very easy at this point. Disconnect the cooler lines and the electrical connector. Drop the front of the tranny down a couple of inches, unbolt the dipstick tube and pull the dipstick tube out of the tranny. Remove the 2, 18mm head bolts holding the crossbeam to the tranny, lower the front slightly and the tranny will come out. The driveshaft will slide out of the tail shaft housing. Don't let the converter come out or you will lose a little fluid. If you do, not a big deal.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:44 AM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Originally Posted by 383vett
Very easy at this point. Disconnect the cooler lines and the electrical connector. Drop the front of the tranny down a couple of inches, unbolt the dipstick tube and pull the dipstick tube out of the tranny. Remove the 2, 18mm head bolts holding the crossbeam to the tranny, lower the front slightly and the tranny will come out. The driveshaft will slide out of the tail shaft housing. Don't let the converter come out or you will lose a little fluid. If you do, not a big deal.
Thank you! I appreciate it.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:57 AM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

So I don't know if I mentioned it or not, the trans wasn't drained prior to all of this. so I slowly removed the dipstick and boy did I get a surprise

Got the trans out. The dipstick does not want to go back in, it looks like a press fit. Does it take a little bit of muscle/turning it to get it to pop in?
Old 06-26-2017, 12:01 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerstroked89
So I don't know if I mentioned it or not, the trans wasn't drained prior to all of this. so I slowly removed the dipstick and boy did I get a surprise

Got the trans out. The dipstick does not want to go back in, it looks like a press fit. Does it take a little bit of muscle/turning it to get it to pop in?
Sorry about that. My tranny has a drain plug and I always drain out the fluid before removing the tranny. That must have been a surprise! I assume you are talking about the dipstick tube. There is a rubber grommet that might be getting hard. Either replace the grommet (it pops out) or muscle and twist the tube back in.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 PM
Powerstroked89
Instructor

Sorry about that. My tranny has a drain plug and I always drain out the fluid before removing the tranny. That must have been a surprise! I assume you are talking about the dipstick tube. There is a rubber grommet that might be getting hard. Either replace the grommet (it pops out) or muscle and twist the tube back in.
Not your fault, I was in a weird spot. Can't pop the pan to drain when it's sitting on my scissor lift. The trans was an afterthought, should have drained before I disconnected the motor.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:52 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerstroked89
The dipstick does not want to go back in, it looks like a press fit. Does it take a little bit of muscle/turning it to get it to pop in?
Yes. It's a tight fit.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:06 AM
Gibbles
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 151 Posts

For the dipstick tube, lube it good.
the rubber seal is super cheap if it's damaged or old.
Rubber seal goes in first, then stick the tube in.
Use some grease on the seal and the tube.
​​​​​​​it should slide right in.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing my auto trans

Quick Reply: Removing my auto trans