C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Corvette coolant issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:13 PM
adamboe
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Corvette coolant issue

Hello, I have a 85 vette and I replaced a coolant line and the thermostat and have been trying to bleed the system of air. we have lifted the front end up to help and still wont regulate temp or blow hot air thru the vents. Im thinking water pump next but if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it! Thank you
Old 07-20-2017, 07:38 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

When I did mine I started the fill with the bleed valve open and filled till coolant came out. Then I filled the system and ran it adding coolant as it burped out air.

I also use a Lisle-Spiil free funnel while burping.

Went through 3 cycles of bringing the engine to temp and cooling.

After it cooled, I topped up the tank and filled the overflow.

No problems since.
The following users liked this post:
adamboe (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 07:45 PM
adamboe
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by belairbrian
When I did mine I started the fill with the bleed valve open and filled till coolant came out. Then I filled the system and ran it adding coolant as it burped out air.

I also use a Lisle-Spiil free funnel while burping.

Went through 3 cycles of bringing the engine to temp and cooling.

After it cooled, I topped up the tank and filled the overflow.

No problems since.
did you lift the front end when you did it?
Old 07-20-2017, 07:49 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by adamboe
Hello, I have a 85 vette and I replaced a coolant line and the thermostat and have been trying to bleed the system of air. we have lifted the front end up to help and still wont regulate temp or blow hot air thru the vents. Im thinking water pump next but if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it! Thank you
Being an 85 you may still have the Hot water Valve for the Heater core, and that might be the reason for your limited Heat inside. I personally never had to much trouble getting an 84 thru 92 Burp air, what you can try is get the car up to temp or approaching Temp. Make the Cooling fans run by running A/C or jumping A to B top off coolant and just before Capping raise Idle to about 1500 final top off and cap with revs up.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:03 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by adamboe
did you lift the front end when you did it?
No it was sitting level in the driveway

S carter makes a good point about the heater valve it should be set to full hot during purging.

The funnel I mentioned allows the coolant to expand without boiling over. Once the engine cools you put the stopper in, remove the funnel and put it in the overflow tank. Pull the stopper and the extra is in the overflow.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:31 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

As a note, the 85 coolant system doesn't have bleeder screws like some of the newer C4's. It helps if you drill a 1/16" hole in the frame of the thermostat and align this hole to the front of the car. You will bleed the system better if you elevate the front end 12-18" off the ground. It may take a couple of heat cycles to accomplish this.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:25 PM
adamboe
Heel & Toe

Default I fixed it!!!

hey guys thank you for all the help I solved the problem for now! It was the heater core, seems to be blocked up. Took the hoses off and bypassed it and she's running great!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette coolant issue

Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette coolant issue