C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Custom chips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 03:34 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
I don't place much, if any faith in testimonials simply because nobody has 100% client satisfaction and they offer only that on any site. SOTP performance? See above. All I look for is a dyno sheet. Secondly, opnions from disinterested parties as to your behavior.

Cool Runnings asked what he will gain. I gave him testimonials as I can't tell him. I don't give much faith in them either BUT tuning can have very good effects on the way an engine performs. Factory tunes are very conservative and everyone knows that so gains are fairly easy. If someone knows tuning basics they can improve all the items I mentioned.

Secondly, opnions from disinterested parties as to your behavior.
Uh, What?
Old 08-13-2017, 10:58 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by v8vette84
Cool Runnings asked what he will gain. I gave him testimonials as I can't tell him. I don't give much faith in them either BUT tuning can have very good effects on the way an engine performs. Factory tunes are very conservative and everyone knows that so gains are fairly easy. If someone knows tuning basics they can improve all the items I mentioned.

Uh, What?
It "CAN" but if you don't know what you are doing, you'd be lucky if you don't break something. We watched how nitrous CAN make power gains. In fact, he had it running like a raped ape till the engine died. Manifold was ice cold. He broke something real bad.

https://definitions.uslegal.com/d/disinterested-person/

(C) does not have an interest materially adverse to the interest of the estate or of any class of creditors or equity security holders, by reason of any direct or indirect relationship to, connection with, or interest in, the debtor, or for any other reason.”

Simply put, aguilar92c4, as mentioned by HM2 would not, IMO, be considered a disinterested person since he is their vendor. OTOH, if you tested that chip against a couple of other "guess a tunes" and liked it, we could say you don't have an ax to grind.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:41 PM
v8vette84
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

It "CAN" but if you don't know what you are doing, you'd be lucky if you don't break something. We watched how nitrous CAN make power gains. In fact, he had it running like a raped ape till the engine died. Manifold was ice cold. He broke something real bad.
Nitrous is a whole different ball game that I'm not getting into...Even good tuners tuning on a dyno can F' up nitrous builds... I'm talking gains on stock currently and many people have proven you can get great gains on modded engines with a "guess a tune" as you call it. Granted a mail order tune will never be spot on considering the tuner doesn't have instant access to all the readings but they certainly can get damn close. Again not all tuners are the same and some are not as good as others... clearly... just look at this thread...

"guess a tunes"
That's your opinion but I know that most tuners take this quite seriously and it's not just a "I'll change this number ans see what it does" tune. If they don't care how the tune comes out how are they supposed to keep their business successful. There are not too many LT1 and earlier tuners around these days that are terrible. Most have gone by the wayside.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by v8vette84
Nitrous is a whole different ball game that I'm not getting into...Even good tuners tuning on a dyno can F' up nitrous builds... I'm talking gains on stock currently and many people have proven you can get great gains on modded engines with a "guess a tune" as you call it. Granted a mail order tune will never be spot on considering the tuner doesn't have instant access to all the readings but they certainly can get damn close. Again not all tuners are the same and some are not as good as others... clearly... just look at this thread...

That's your opinion but I know that most tuners take this quite seriously and it's not just a "I'll change this number ans see what it does" tune. If they don't care how the tune comes out how are they supposed to keep their business successful. There are not too many LT1 and earlier tuners around these days that are terrible. Most have gone by the wayside.
Not sure. I thought the C4 gains were minimal on stock? Yes, some are better than others which is why you will pay more for their work. IF the work you do is worth $20 an hour, you certainly wouldn't take $10. If you do, I suspect something is FUBARed.

Let me see if I can clarify. They may care about their work and do is conscientiously. That said, when all you have is a build sheet, you can estimate what is going on and write the program for it. I have seen that done on the dyno. The difference being that the dyno gives feedback and you can make adjustments and fine tune it in. I have seen several dyno tuners do that. Adjust till it goes up and back it off once it goes down to get the final tune. IF the tuner is doing that via datalogging, fair enough. If you are simply estimating what the car needs, I call it guessing.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:04 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I guess if you were going to do it, a guy with a shop dedicated to turning, with one dyno or more.. Who do it every, single, day.. Would probably be the best bet.

Maybe their experience could get them close?
Old 08-14-2017, 10:45 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by confab
I guess if you were going to do it, a guy with a shop dedicated to turning, with one dyno or more.. Who do it every, single, day.. Would probably be the best bet.

Maybe their experience could get them close?
You are right. How close do I have to be is the question. AFAIK, the closer to spec the better. I tend to be fussy so close does not work well if there is closer for a reasonable amount more.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:36 PM
myc493sg
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliC4
Update:

I decided to go ahead and give custom chips a try. After speaking to the owner he sounds like he knows what he is doing. I am planning on doing some modifications and he will do retunes as I add things like headers cams ect.

I will be sure to give a write up and inform everybody of the product. Here is the chance for custom chips to redeem themselves.
I had Custom chips make one for my 93 C4. The car does accelerate faster. I also had code 32 removed and my fan temps lowered down to 190 degrees. Car runs much better!
Old 08-14-2017, 02:42 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by myc493sg
I had Custom chips make one for my 93 C4. The car does accelerate faster. I also had code 32 removed and my fan temps lowered down to 190 degrees. Car runs much better!
How much faster? Did you do back to back runs? Dyno?
Old 10-25-2017, 01:37 PM
CaliC4
Advanced

Update:

Custom chips is a complete scam. I made my order on August 8th and they stated that it was on its way. I have been asking for shipping details ever since and I get the same response. It is on its way.Here we are on October 25th and no results. Anybody claiming they received this product is probably the seller.

To the seller of this product who continually scams on this website. You have until the end of this week to send the adapter I paid for or I will turn you in for fraud. https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
Old 10-25-2017, 01:39 PM
CaliC4
Advanced

I also suggest anybody else who was ripped off by this fake vendor to send in a complaint. I wonder how much $$$$ has been stolen.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:46 PM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Talk to me ? AM only EST !!!!!! greg

Last edited by BlowerWorks; 10-25-2017 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Custom chips?